itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

What are your "5 games everyone should play at least once"

Tried to make list with diverse pc games that can be experienced in one afternoon.

• Guns of Icarus Online
  • Portal 2
  • ARK: Survival Of The Fittest
  • Overwatch
  • Thomas Was Alone
3 Likes

There are many different games I love but if i´d have to pick 5 single games i´d narrow it down to:

• Final Fantasy 7
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Witcher 3
  • Skyrim
  • GTA 5
4 Likes
  • Dishonored
  • Dark Souls
  • Portal
  • Apocalypse World
  • Crusader Kings 2
4 Likes

Man I used to play Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2 with my mates until my fingers bled. It’s sad that the series went so far down hill.

3 Likes

So this list is basically must play, the absolute best of their generation/genre right? Not necessarily modern. Well for me it’d be as follows
Super Mario World, easily the best mario game, especially in 2d
Civilization 4. 5 and 6 are great games, and if you like strategy games I’d say play those too but 4 is an all time great in a genre full of fantastic games.
Red dead redemption is as far as I’m concerned the best game that came out on the 360. I could write forever on why this game is incredible but just go play it, like right now.
Call of Duty 4. The remaster is about to come out, go see why it revolutionized shooters and was the standard in fps for the next like 5-6 years after.
Dungeons and Dragons. If you want a video game I’d say Baldurs Gate, or if you’re feeling real old school ice wind dale. It’s such a blast, especially when you focus more on the stories being told than just min maxing you’d character, to each their own though.

3 Likes

Oh man this is tough. I have to think about the games which were the most impactful for me.

1) TTRPG - I know this is a total cop-out. However, I can’t choose just one game from the list. I was lucky enough to find a group through :itmejpnation: shortly after the OG Rollplay started. I have been playing with 2 of those same guys since then (which is crazy to think about). If you have never experience this PLEASE to go r/lfg or roll20’s lfg, or hell, even through this very community site and find one. It is a truly transformative experience.

2) The Last of Us - The single greatest experience I have had in video games. Only game that has made me cry, and not just when [spoiler]Joel’s daughter died at the start.[/spoiler] This will go down as my favorite video game of all time. I enjoyed every single minute of it. Naughty Dog is incredible :itmejpheart:

3) Super Mario 64 - I remember Christmas morning of 1996 when my siblings and I opened the N64 and Super Mario 64. I wish I could go back and have that experience again. I was basically the nintendo kid. This also holds the distinction of being the first game I went full competitionist on. I’ll never forget the joy of playing Mario in a 3d world, nor the pride at being the first person I knew to collect all 120 stars.

4) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Oh the hours I spent on this game.

5) Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - This was the game that got me into online competitive games. Before this I’d never experienced online games, and needless to say I was hooked. Also, Ghillied Up STILL holds up for single player missions in an FPS.

Special Mentions - I’m going to cheat and include some of my other favorite games I was torn for leaving out of this list.
Civilization Series (except 3)
Super Mario 3
Batman: Arkham series
BioShock Infinite
Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2
Final Fantasy VII and VIII
GoldenEye 007 (N64)
Uncharted Series
Skyrim
XCOM 1 and 2
Fable
Diablo 1 and 2
Braid
Portal 1 and 2
… and suddenly my list is WAY too long. I’m such an addict :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I like scifi and I like strategy games, so here’s my all time list of best scifi strategy games that everyone should try at least once:

If you’re wondering about the gap in time, I got hooked on MMOs starting with the space MMO that no one should play, and in fact can’t play…

5 Likes

Was looking for first mention of FF6. All time favorite game!

1 Like
  • Okami - It has one of the best combinations of art, gameplay, music, and story. Each one ties into the other one. The game is worth at least one play through.
  • Dark Souls - It's hard. It will make you appreciate good game mechanics.
  • Dwarf Fortress - Also hard. I'm not going to tell you what the game is only what can happen: One time on my volcano citadel, my sheriff punched a vampire in the face and killed him. It was because the vampire drank all the sheriff's wife's blood.
  • Portal - Portal teaches you all the skills you need to solve its own puzzles without you realizing it. It feel so satisfying to beat each stage. Also there may be cake.
  • Fallout 3 - This game is a good mix of the current style of RPGs with the old style of RPGs. You'll find yourself unable to do things because your skills are strong enough and you'll have to face the consequences.
  • Gears Of War - It's not only a chest high shooter. It is the father of chest high shooters. Nice!
3 Likes

My list:

• Eve Online MMO (played it the first time march 2006, most intense pvp game i have ever played)

• Fallout 1-2 and Fallout 1.5: Resurrection

• GTA 1-5 every single one is a pieace of gaming histroy

• Super Mario / Mario Cart

• CS 1.6

have many more games to be honest it rly depends on how old you are.

2 Likes

Stopped playing EVE after 6 months or so after I made the rookie mistake of transporting super valuable stuff from Jita to Amarr in a slow ship without a party. Of course someone scanned me and blew up my Bestower. It was around the time bounties were introduced, but I didn’t know how they worked, so I placed an unreasonable high bounty on the head of the player that blew me up. It was collected by one of his allies. They probably laughed their asses off. God, the salt was real.

3 Likes

Final Fantasy 7
Witcher 3 (I feel you can play this without having played 1&2 but you really should!)
Mass Effect 1-3
Portal 2
Dragon Age: Orgins (fuck the rest of the series!)
Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (cheating and adding a 6th)

4 Likes

Final Fantasy 7
Mystic Quest (SNES)
Dragon Age Origins
The Elders Scrolls Morrowind
Fallout 3 / New Vegas

3 Likes

In no particular order:

• Masseffect 2 - Great story and game mechanics. Best part of the series.
  • Brothers a tale of two sons - The feeeeels.
  • Assassins Creed IV - Black Flag - One of the games that I have the most hours in, apart from WOW, CS:GO and Overwatch.
  • Overwatch - Love this game and how you can just pick it up and play when ever.
  • FIFA X - Get some friends together and play some sports, its fun as hell.

EDIT:
Totaly forgot about Journey - Great game, love it!

3 Likes

No order really, but here it goes.

Starcraft 1 + Broodwar ofcourse. - It’s the first game I ever owned, it’s what made me gamer at the age of seven. Broke my left arm during the summer. It holds a very special place in my heart.

The Witcher series. - The most emotional series of game for me, ever. I love that world to pieces, it’s characters and everything that comes with it. It made me want to read the books.

Guitar Hero, up until Guitar Hero 3. A fantastic franchise, I played the hell out of it with all of my friends back on the PS2. We’d sit around for hours and have fun for countless of hours. Challenging eachother and just have a good time with a great game.

World of Warcraft My first and my favourite MMO. I never really played the game. Never raided, PVP’ed or pet battled. I’ve RP’ed tho, I have around 9000 hours on WoW. I’ve RP’ed for thousands of hours. I doubt most will enjoy RP’ing via text, but to experience the vast world and all of it’s content. I something you should try.

The Wolf Among Us - Favourite Telltale Game, Fantastic story and characters. A game you must play.

Now the last one is going to be weird, but it’s my favourite game these days. And It will be so for a very long time I think.

Squad. The spiritual successor to the Battlefield 2 mod Project Reality. Now, why in the bloody hell an EA game? No story or anything like that. I don’t really know why, but it’s found a way to my heart. I haven’t enjoyed a game like this. Since I started playing StarCraft 2 back in 2011. It’s buggy, it performs like horsecrap now. But still, I love the game and it’s small community. Most will disagree with me, but to me it issomething special.

5 Likes
  • World of Warcraft
  • GTA 1 or 2
  • Darkest Dungeon
  • Age of Empires 2
  • Witcher 3
  • Onward (VR Game)
2 Likes

What is the story you tell when you want to convince people to play Dwarf Fortress?

1 Like

I’m just going to go with series over individual titles.

The Last of Us
Mass Effect
Fallout (highly recommend Tale of Two Wastelands to play 3 in the New Vegas Engine)
Dungeons and Dragons
Final Fantasy

Honorable Mentions:
Bioshock
Dark Souls
Civilization

And looking at it, I managed to put it in order for my preferred series without trying :itmejphappy:

5 Likes

I feel like if we get into DF stories, it warrants a thread of its own! So here :slight_smile:

I am surprised that no one mentioned Undertale. That game brought new view about games like Kojima style mind fucks.

Still i dont understand what means “x games everyone should play at least once”. What do you mean by that? Does it a time section about 2-4 hour for game or games that you beat a lot of time and recommend it for people (like fallout,final fantasy and etc.). So i dont even bother to make my list and probobly i am not the only one.

1 Like