itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[E27 (?) Q&A] Icosahedral Slimebattles

This is one of the things I love about your skills as a DM, aswell as the way you portray your imagination in the form of there being like “Camera” angles and such as if it were a movie. You’re weirdly wonderful and wonderfully weird and I love everything you do <3

3 Likes

@itmeJP was saying he is considering the Winged Boots as his boon thing. Just wanted to remind him that Tempest Cleric eventually gets flying anyway so maybe it’s not the optimal choice? Albeit at 17th level.

It’s certainly a lottery-grade answer.

I’m with you I’m kind of hoping he picks something stupid like the alchemy jug or the unmovable rod to see how they incorporate it inside his char.

2 Likes

There are a lot of options for common and uncommon magical items. I’d take weapon of warning so they’d not need to be looking at the ceiling all the time.

1 Like

Well winged boots has a time limit (up to 1 hour i think), while the lvl 17 ability is all day long, so even if in the distant not-sure-how-possible future he gets to that, it will be a constant ability, but up to then he has an option to fly for some limited flight.

Flying’s pretty great, though Winged Boots are demonstrably worse than a Broom of Flying, despite both being uncommon. The broom would give him +20 movement speed and infinite flight, vs the Boots giving him his own movement speed at a 4 hour limit. If it weren’t being merged with the character Winged Boots ALSO eat up an attunement, unlike the Broom. Also a couple of other nifty features that wouldn’t apply if the item is part of him (like sending it a mile away to pick someone up).

Depends on how Adam incorporates the items, obviously.

The tall hats and hairstyles (also being space elves…) definitely made me think of Eldar, too.

*Actually, they just became the Aeldari a couple months ago for legal reasons…

Oh yeah, that definitely. Can’t wait for some Slaaneshi Mara action… :itmejphappy:

oh! something inspiration - wise. I’m finding Court of Swords is stealing bits and pieces from some of the stuff in Exalted, which has been neat. The “elves” have no small bit of stuff from the Alchemicals. Also, the celestial bureaucracy and the mara have some Exaltedy stuff too.

1 Like

What do you think of the Exalted system? I’ve heard only a bit about it.

What was the reason that the players got their specific powers? Why did Azriel get a mage spell, Gale the magic item power and Berg the lifesteal(This one is the most straight forward though!)?

1 Like

I can’t really speak to the mechanics, but at least as a viewer it seems to me like it corresponds to what each of them saw. Azriel caught what might of been the tail end of some kind of ritual or ceremony, Gale’s was focused at least in part with a magic elven d20, and Berg’s was outright combat.

The thing that’ll be interesting to see down the road if more elves start showing up is if this kind of permanent alteration magic is a straight-up thing for them. NPC/Monster blocks with rando extra abilities thrown in, or reskinning some of the more uniquely D&D creatures as part of their whole deal.

Depending on whether or not it’s too iconic of a thing to replace, I could totally see the stats for mind flayers being repurposed as weird infiltrator elves with brain probes built into their armor.

setting amazing, system less so

1 Like

you got it in one! definitely this.

1 Like

I’m really hype for Dan’s familiar. With it he can pretty much do his Great Weapon feat to get 10 extra damage every attack.

1 Like

That’s definitely one of the great semi-modular things about RPGs with monster bestiaries - you can always just reskin another creature into something else entirely to fit your setting. And for veteran D&D players, tricks like that keep fights unpredictable.

1 Like

For sure, and I can only imagine we’re gonna see more and more of that as levels go up. I’ll admit was just kind of along for the ride during the “prologue” episodes, but between now and then CoS has somehow turned into the perfect storm of familiar mechanics and unique world that makes me go “oh man, but what if?” every single time we learn something new about the world. I’m super jazzed to see what else gets fleshed out once Morgan’s character shows up.

1 Like

No real question other then that I wanted to say good job on the DMing this episode, it was great!

Also great work by Max, he has really pick up his game! He very rarely makes mistakes now that he’s starting to learn Berg! Max has been the MVP for the last two episode imo. Well done sir! (Not counting the “I can’t be blinded because I have danger sense” incident.)

1 Like

Great episode, it was a lot of fun. The lore at the end was a total surprise and was nice. The audience also shared the happiness the player’s had when they got the boons.