itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[E27 (?) Q&A] Icosahedral Slimebattles

Hmm I hope not, that’s a bit broken at that point.

It really is… but then again, Adam can just crank up the Deadlies.

1 Like

This show definitely keeps getting better and better with time. One thing I’m really happy about is the fact that they can level grind quickly with all the high-powered encounters. We’ve never seen upper-level D&D on Rollplay before (or really, upper-level anything), so I’m hoping we can at least get past the L10 hump and see some of the really cool shit.

1 Like

How closesly tied into fate are the Aasimars and The Fountain? If greatly so then you could make the Sidereal comparison full stop. We even had a martial arts master Aasimar! Rip Volnach.

I’ve told you enough times how much a guilty pleasure Exalted is for me. Such a fun little universe with such a shitty system. The Shadowrun of Fantasy Superhero games.

1 Like

Yeah, one of my biggest “if only” feelings about Rollplay is how every series or game they play is planned to be temporary or gets cancelled if it isn’t so we miss out on like 50-75% of mechanical character progression. Lots of cool things and game design aspects of the game get lost to this.

Rollplay’s also always been a bit slow to progress, level/xp wise, which slightly exacerbates it. Or you have games like West Marches which the constantly rotating cast made leveling past 3 a herculean effort.

Maybe CoS, as their bread and butter D&D game, will finally break that mold.

2 Likes

I’m very excited for this. I want to see them face a Beholder, Mind Flayer, a young dragon etc. Even getting to level 5 they’ll be very powerful.

1 Like

I actually think the first elf armor thing they fought was a reskinned Blue Dragon Wyrmling.

Understood Wyrmling is a lower CR than a Young Dragon though.

That’s what I like about it. I love it games when you can, without cheating, exploit certain game mechanics to make you really powerful in some aspect.

Yeah but it’s close to that kind of fight. You don’t get the “real” dragon experience until they’re adults, tho.

1 Like

Understood iirc it requires 10GP worth of materials that need to be burnt in a brass brazier. If Adam kills his familiar in a dungeon he probably won’t be able to recast it until after they get out.

A brass brazier is something you’d reasonably have in camping supplies tbh. It’s just a glorified pot. He’d want to carry around excess material components anyhow.

If it’s not on your character sheet you don’t have it. Plus I’ve always played you’d need one of those large 3 FT diameter ones for summonings. 10GP worth of charcoal is a lot of charcoal, if you have that much you probably only have one use worth with you at a time.

It’s interesting, because actually material components listed on PHB 203 actually says that you can use your component pouch or focus as a replacement for all material components unless a GP cost is associated with them. It’s a strange interpretation, because the component pouch wouldn’t’ cover the charcoal and incense because of the cost, but the brass brazier is a material component with no associated cost.

1 Like

It says a brass brazier and any material components are assumed to be something you can access or buy and carry. I don’t know why you think a brazier has a minimum diameter of 3 feet but it doesn’t. It can be as big as a wall sconce, very transportable. Ritual braziers specifically are portable.

If you make it such that a Wizard can’t cast one of their most well known spells then that’s on you and your campaign. It’s 10gp worth of charcoal, incense, and herbs. There’s other, far more expensive component lists that have incense on them. Regardless, why do you think that’s stuff you can’t carry? Have you ever looked at an explorer’s pack?

1 Like

I agree it’s a little bit in the gray area. I’d interpret the charcoal, incense and herbs as the components and the need to access a brazier to use them.

The three foot thing was just an example. Think of this way, how much charcoal do you think you could buy for 10GP? I imagine 10GP worth of charcoal will not be entirely burned in an hour with a ‘pocket’ brazier. I have seen an explorer’s pack and it doesn’t include a brazier. Either way it’s just my opinion and how I’d rule it in my campaign. That’s the beauty of the game the DM can decide. :slight_smile:

It’s not just Charcoal though. It’s two other potentially expensive, incredibly light (to such a degree that the weight is negligible) materials as well.

I don’t get why you’re deadlocked on this idea that a character can’t carry their spell components with them but it’s just not the case. If you run your game such that you want to make life an incredible pain for someone playing a wizard then that’s fine, but your house rules aren’t the case here.

1 Like

Relax we’re just having a discussion. I’m not going to be mad either way Adam handles it. I was just bringing ways to make this combo less game breaking and how I would run it.

A 1 hp familiar is never going to be gamebreaking. It’s quite easy to handle.

1 Like