itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[COURT OF SWORDS // E59 Q&A] The Golden Tomb

That was a fun episode to listen to. Well done to all the cast.

I did have one issue though with[spoiler] how the party dealt with Agni and the Cook.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]So Agni is on the floor and crying over the death of her friend. And the party’s response is…[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Kalimat shouts at her and the other three stand around awkwardly. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]Instead of someone trying to console a crying woman it was ‘how do we deal with a npc thing that won’t do what we want?’[/spoiler] It really broke the rp and also put into contrast the homogeneous nature of the players.

1 Like

Awesome episode as always. Since the scrying bowl seems to be able to find people based on where their soul is like with azure’s reincarnation, what happens if Ramus asks it to show him himself? Will it show him in that room or show wherever his soul is?

Yes, I second that! Here and there a player seems a little lost regarding what to do, just because they don’t talk about general strategy OOC. Especially at the beginning of combat. Also, I think Adam has already mentioned that he wouldn’t be against it, iirc.
Then again, the last few encounters went fine without heavily strategizing OOC, so there might be no need for it after all with the new way they play the game.

Did Ramus actually have to use Revivify? Xeridas died just a moment ago, right? Could he not have been saved with a normal heal, like Kalimat later on? Or did he fail his death saves during the episode break?

I think that might have been a narrative consequence of Ramus rolling a natural 1 on his medicine check.

Most NPCs don’t get death saves.

[spoiler]I was really sad that nobody tried to console or talk to her gently. It was just shouting and pushing. I get that there was chaos and stuff but yeah, these adventurers aren’t very nice![/spoiler]

2 Likes

I don’t think it broke rp at all. It just showed us that the characters we know and love aren’t very nice people.

With the Seclusium collapsing around them, I’m not surprised that their mindset was, “we don’t have time for this, we need to get moving NOW.”

…but yeah, they definitely aren’t nice people either.

One of the things I’ve found most interesting recently is that Kalimat and Salihafa have been bigger harbingers of the Tower than Berg and Ramus, and neither of them are even supposed to be. Maybe their affiliation with them has indirectly corrupted them and now they are bound to the Tower? Obviously that’s highly unlikely because Zeke and JP’s decisions were just choices they were given and they didn’t intend to bring disaster upon everything here, but I find it fascinating still.

Adding to “no death save for NPC”, the demons had five more attacks Adam didn’t roll and just described.

In the rules that would’ve been five attacks with advantage against a prone target, each causing two failed death saves per hit.

After the usual three failed saves, Xeridas would have died. So even strictly by the rules, Xeridas was almost guaranteed to be dead beyond normal healing.

They’re players.

Zeke somehow attracts these “I want to do something potentially good, but will fuck things up in some other way”-choices.
There was this whole baby mess in WM, too.

JP’s just JP. Put a red button somewhere and he’ll try to push it.

1 Like

Agni is definitly Katee Sackhoff. But my Love for battlestar Galactica might be speaking throu me XD

1 Like

I mean, I would love for Gwendoline Christie to be here, just because I feel like Adam would write a better script for her than what she usually gets in Game of Thrones and Star Wars where she just gets the crap beaten out of here, but yeah. I feel like Katee Sackhoff would be a good choice.

Also, I really like how shit hit the fan and it’s either Kali or Sali’s fault. Or maybe both.

So here Is a qeustion I don’t expect an answer to. If demons serve the Mara, where do Devils fall cosmologically, are the Mara divided? Do they serve some other source of power? prehapes cast out of heaven at the start of the beuarcracy?

I did a cursory glance through the rules about attunement and magic weapons and didn’t see anything about +X weapons not requiring attunement. Do you have a page number or a source that states this? And how would +X weapons be considered different from other magic items?

I don’t know if Dan reads these Q&A threads but I feel that after the encounter in the village a few episodes back where he was talking to that one lady about the orb that Azure Vortex had it would be cool if he tried to see where the Orb was now so they could try and go get it (though it’s probably nowhere near the City of Brass). Although if they ever go back to the Rock Gnome King’s lair to free the Agni’s brother they might be in the vicinity…

1 Like

Argument: (DMG page 136) Some items require a creature to form a bond with then before their magical properties can be used. This bond is called attunment, and certain items have a prerequisite for it.
Comparing two items in the DMG. Weapon of warning. Weapon (Any), Uncommon (Requires attunment)
This magic weapon warns you of danger. While this weapin is on your person you have advantage on intiative rolls.
Weapon, +1, +2, or +3
Weapon (Any), Uncommon (+1), Rare (+2), or Very rare (+3).
You have a bonus in attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon. The bonus is determined by the weapons rarity
Note that the weapon of warning states that it requires attunment whilst a weapon +1 does not.
Both of these are DMG page 213
Many items in the DMG do not require attunment to function: alchemy jug, armour +1/+2/+3, Boots of Elvenkind, broom of flying, Cloak of the manta ray, dagger of venom, a deck of many things, dimensional shackles, Dragon slaying sword, Ever smoking bottle, gem of brightness, Gloves of thievery, horseshoe of speed, Iron bands of Bilarro, Mace if smiting, Mariners armor, Necklass of fireballs, Peripat of health, any potion, Quiver of Ehlonna, Ring of swimming, Robe of useful items, Rod of security, Sending stones, Sphere of annihalation, stone of controling earth elementals, Viscous weapons, wand of magic missile, weapons +1-+3, To name a few. Of 62 pages of Magic items in the DMG only 15 of those pages are exclusivly of items that require attunment.

2 Likes

The assumption therein would be that the Apology of Emperor Fey is not just a +X weapon. After all, +1 swords do not ooze black smushiness.

It could be like a sword of vengeance where it gives a +X all the time while also having a secondary, maybe even a tertiary, effect that only comes into when certain things happen. For example, when you get attacked while holding the sword of vengeance, you have to focus all of your attacks on the creature that hurt you. We just haven’t found out what the condition is for the Apology perhaps.

1 Like

If I remember correctly you mentioned that if the elves got their hands on the fountain, theyd use it as a power source, maybe it’s powered bergs dark passager…which is definitely bad, or good depending on how you look at it

1 Like