itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[COURT OF SWORDS // E59 Q&A] The Golden Tomb

I argued the point about the apology a few threads back. And Adam shot me down, however if this new mace is just a +1 weapon then berg shouldn’t require attunment. Additionally, when the apology was first rolled up it was just a +2 warhammer

There is no official rule saying a plain +X weapon doesn’t require attunement. Maybe this weapon is more that meets the eye. I honestly forgot about this other weapon, was it identified previously? We know that it doesn’t have any other magical attributes? I just don’t recall. Either way the DM can choose if a weapon requires attunement or not.

I seem to remember sometime a while back, it might have been on one of Adam’s planning streams or a post show, that Adam said that there were no (or very few) “basic” magical weapons in his world. I thought he wanted all of the cool magic items to have history, lore, and backstory that the players could go research to fill in the Court of Swords world. So a randomly rolled +2 hammer became The Apology of Emperor Fei. If that’s true, it would make sense that most magic items require attunement, because of the sweet sweet Lore.

Most items have a history, every +1 sword has a legacy it shouldn’t affect the mechanical side of attunment. The apology has be used for 37 episodes and mechanically it has shown no other effects than being a +2 warhammer. It just massively affects bergs and every characters ability to use magic items if every +X item requires attunment.

1 Like

An item notes in its description in the DMG if it requires attunment or not +X weapons, armor, and shields all have no attunment requirement. As do Dragon slaying swords and giant slaying swords/axes. These items have secondary effects that don’t require attunment.

1 Like

(haven’t seen the episode yet, avoiding most of the comments but wanted to get a Q in)

Hey @AdamKoebel, any advice on heuristics to use for assigning difficulty ratings to goals? I am trying it out in my game as well and I think we are seeing success with it just as you guys have, but I don’t have a good way to figure out those ratings. An example that has happened a couple times is a scenario where at the start of the session, they have something dangerous immediately before them (“deadly” even, since a lot of our fights are pretty tough). If a player writes a goal at the start of the session that boils down to “overcome this challenge”, I have kinda been going with labeling those as “easy” since in terms of narrative difficulty, it is usually a pretty straightforward problem that is solved quickly even if the fight is dangerous.

Do you have a different perspective on the matter? Thanks!

From what I remember in the GM prep, [spoiler]the gestating clone, I think my dream scenario is that Utrix had to emergency eject his nearly all-powerful meat prison and into his unfinished perfect clone. Him now being a young man (like 16 years old) with no body hair freshly squeezed from a pod, like Neo. Maybe set him as a level 12 spellcaster just to sink the level of power he originally had if this form is just 50% complete (that assuming he wanted it to be a prime age of 30ish).[/spoiler]

I think that would be brilliant. So brilliant in fact, that I have written it down so that I dont forget it.

What happened to the effect of this domain on [spoiler]Fountain-based magic[/spoiler]? Might have dragged things down a bit, so no harm in dropping it. But did I miss something, or was that the reasoning behind that?

Rather than pause every time to make JP roll I’ve been doing it myself in the background.

2 Likes

Was that before it started oozing black sludge?

Yes it was I believe it was during the werewolf fight