itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

What's the best non-Rollplay piece of media you've consumed in 2016?

It can be anything from movies, books, YouTube series, video games, etc. Just best piece of media you’ve wnjoyed in 2016! For me it’s a toss up between West World, Black Science(comic), and Kubo and the Two Strings!

1 Like

Overwatch has consumed my life since May, so I’m going with that.

Honorable mention to the always incredible Saga. I read it in trades so a few months behind, but my favourite comic by about a thousand miles

It was such an amazing year for anime and manga that I don’t know if I could pick just one.
Erased, Boku no Hero Academia, Re:Zero, Food Wars, One-Punch Man, and Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans, all jump to my mind immediately as close contenders for my top spot.

Iron Blooded Orphans probably squeaks out the win for me because on top of the ever wonderful fights and character development this so far this season I’ve found it’s depictions of non-straight and non-binary relationships to be very forward thinking for Japanese social standards.

Man how did I forget Overwatch? It’s the only shooter to hold my attention this long. And Saga is so good! Have you read any of Paper Girls? I got the first two volumes for christmas and it’s really good and by Vaughn.

I listened to a lot of opera this year, I felt moved by it, which was confusing for me.

1 Like

Well, if you like Rollplay, in terms of another actual-play podcast, check out Friends At The Table, especially their interlude season in Marielda where they play with the Blades In The Dark ruleset. Very powerful stuff once it gets going, and the end I found quite moving. Austin Walker is on it, so if you saw the Dogs In The Vineyard oneshot, he was on that. He was also on an Apocalypse World game Adam ran with roll20.

The Culture series by Iain M. Banks is amazing; at least the first three books are 100% worth the time. This is real sci-fi. And you can see some of the inspiration behind some things Adam did in Swan Song. The second book is especially epic. I also have to add American Psycho as a personal fav, and if you liked the film, read the book. If you can find it, this amazing series from the 80s called Visionaries: Knights Of The Magical Light. Also, the Highlander tv series does a fantastic job of conveying to you the heart of the show in the first six episodes. It does not pile on the lore, but you learn what it means to be an immortal in the way the show does it, and the storytelling is pretty potent (despite some of the acting).

If I could only pick one, though, I’d go for the Friends At The Table season in Marielda, especially if you would like to see the ruleset used by Rollplay: Blades put to use in an entirely different setting. Goddamn that was a good show and Austin Walker is a fantastic GM, and his players do interesting things!

1 Like

The show has been on a couple years but Hannibal with Mads Mikelsen, I didn’t think the serial killing thing could be made fresh again, but the show made it a great psycological drama and made you think about what defines life and the art humanity creates even in it’s darkest moments.
Also Peaky Blinders coz it’s just great.

Westworld, Stranger Things, not new but finally read all of the original Dune series. I know there was other things but I can’t think of anything else at the moment

1 Like

I have mostly fallen behind on the comics I was reading last year, so not tried paper girls. Needs to get up to speed on Rat Queens next, I stopped getting the monthlies since I was behind and never bought any trades like a fool. Also Sex Criminals I abandoned despite finding hilarious every month - will look into paper girls at some point though :itmejptip:

I finally got around to reading Name of the Wind this year, so that (and the sequel) probably wins out for me.

1 Like

For me it’s Westworld, Overwatch and Drifters (Anime)

Also my first roleplaying session, I played Vampire: The Mascerade. As a Gangrel I used my ability to talk to animals and payed a raven with a pair of eyes to track someone :itmejpgg:

1 Like

I hate to say it but I was a little disappointed with Rat Queens. It started out really good with the first volume but didn’t keep up the quality. I think I heard it’s getting a reboot though?

This year I have been pleasantly surprised by The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl. Now I would recommend it to anyone who is either looking for a lighter tone in comics or as an introductions to comic books.
Also XCOM 2 - I loved this game (my GOTY) which is odd to me since I at most thought the first one was OK.

I would have to go for Dishonored 2 because I was a huge Dishonored 1 fanboy and Dishonored 2 was like the Firefly Season 2 I never had.

There were a lot of good things though. FFXV, me beginning to play any of the FF games for the first time ever(starting with 1, because why not?), Witcher 3, new Star Wars stuff(only saw Rogue One yesterday so I’m still digesting; Overall good impression and awesome display of Imperial might, shoddy scriptwriting in my opinion; hoping the novel fleshes some things out), Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans, and some other anime. Started digesting the Shadowrun universe in its entirety, almost finished with the novels and then I’ll begin the ardous process of working through their Alexandria-sized library of source books, and quite a few other things. All in all it was good year.

But I fangirl squealed over Dishonored 2 so it gets top spot.

2 Likes

We are number one, by Lazy Town.

But seriously, a web novel called ‘The Iron Teeth’
I’m itchining for some more of that dark fantasy.

1 Like

Color me intrigued. I’m going to have to look that up.

1 Like

I think I only read about 7 issues, got up to the art change and stopped for whatever reason. I have no idea if its decent beyond that, but want to give it a chance since first arc was so good

Do! More people reading something I love, and what is a great piece of media, can’t be a bad thing.

oh man…the stormlight archive by brandon sanderson

i really enjoyed the new chance the rapper stuff and my fave band future of forestry released a new cd that im still processing

read some powers , locke and key, and hellblazer comics which i enjoyef

1 Like