itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

What does Blades sound like to you?

Hi there!

Adam’s Nebula Jazz playlist thread was awesome and really insightful for future fan music!

I’m currently collecting reference and resources for Blades and I would love to hear what other fans think the Blades universe sounds like.

Here is what I have so far

Shostakovich String Quartet No 8 in C Minor

Camille Saint-Saëns - Danse Macabre

Afaria Quartet - A Letter from the Afterlife (spotify link)

Jeno Farkas - Cimbalom solo

Lukács Miklós - Zöld az erdő

1 Like

The Desertio soundtrack by Woodkid.

:itmejp10:

1 Like

If you take a look at the Blades guidebook John wrote down some inspirations for the game itself. I think they translate to the show well enough. Particularly he added this song: Furnace Room Lullaby - Neko Case. I particularly like the soft guitar at the beginning juxtaposed with some of the darker tones. I also like the sound heard around 1:10 in the song. It’s a noise MADE for industrial fantasy.

1 Like

I know it’s really obvious, but the Dishonored soundtrack is all I can hear while I watch Blades.

1 Like

What’s funny is, I’m pretty sure Drunken Whaler(originally Drunken Sailor) can easily be converted to Drunken Hunter if you turn some of the lyrics around. Maybe trade something about rats to hollows or something. It can work. It can be done! We have the insanity!

1 Like

Totally! That’s actually what I started with, but after seeing what the show is and particularly Aldo’s fascinations with high art I’m going more of a string Quartet route with a lot of low cello (Dishonored vibe cello lines).

1 Like

Aww yeah I think I can do some of that 1:10 sound!

Shostakovich String Quartet is very Blades to me.

Funny you mention Drunken Whaler. I’m actually in the early stages of a Blades fan animation (incredibly likely to never be finished) that uses that song as it’s backing track. The implication being that the Leviathan hunter captain it features is “a drunken whaler”.

1 Like

Simple song that always come to me when I think of blades is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrxePKps87k

But we just have to wait for a certain character to appear before it plays.

To add to this I think of the Sherlock Sound track by Hans Zimmer - Discombobulate

I also think of The Sorcerer’s Apprentice from fantasia Its like a story with the setting up the score then its all the the conflict they have to go through in the mission followed by the conclusion.

also I hope you don’t mind @Drumurboy but I moved this to the Blades category

1 Like

There’s some good stuff in here! (I’m about 30 minutes in.)

Tracklist

0:00 Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek & Reinhold Heil - Cloud Atlas Opening Title
3:47 James Newton Howard - Atlantis Is Waiting (Atlantis: The Lost Empire Soundtrack)
6:32 Karl Jenkins - Palladio
10:19 Schubert - Symphony No. 8 (Unfinished): I. Allegro moderato
21:51 John Williams - Sean’s Theme (Minority Report Soundtrack)
23:48 Bach - Cello Suite No. 1
26:17 Howard Shore - The Thief (Hugo Soundtrack)
30:36 Beethoven - Symphony No. 3 (Eroica): I
45:49 Clint Mansell - Together We Will Live Forever (The Fountain Soundtrack)
50:49 Hans Zimmer - Time (Inception Soundtrack)    
55:25 James Newton Howard - The Crystal Chamber (Atlantis: The Lost Empire Soundtrack)
59:12 Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto No. 2: II
1:12:13 James Horner - A Kaleidoscope of Mathematics (A Beautiful Mind Soundtrack)
1:17:07 Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 5 (Emperor): II. Adagio
1:24:47 John Williams - A New Beginning (Minority Report Soundtrack)
1:28:39 Howard Shore - The Chase (Hugo Soundtrack)
1:31:26 Hans Zimmer - Chevaliers de Sangreal (The Da Vinci Code Soundtrack)
1:35:37 Dvorak - Symphony No. 9 (New World): II. Largo
1:48:18 Yann Tiersen - Comptine d’Un Autre Ete (Amelie Soundtrack)
1:50:39 John Williams - Flight to Neverland (Hook Soundtrack)
1:55:24 James Newton Howard - The Secret Swim (Atlantis: The Lost Empire Soundtrack)
1:58:10 Dario Marianelli - Atonement (Atonement Soundtrack)
2:03:28 Dvorak - Symphony No. 9 (New World): IV. Allegro

Johann Sebastian Bach — Cello Suite #1 In G, Prelude

I can see this as what Aldo strives for or as background music for either a slow motion poetic action sequence, an assassination or to just set the mood.

Edit:
An angry Carriless Firm, perhaps on a killing spree, might “sound” like this:
Apocalyptica - Angel of Death (Slayer cover)

2 Likes

Points at post above :itmejpgg:

Edit: Now that Apocalyptica is in play… 2CELLOS comes to mind…

I imagine the Shadow soundtrack is probably good for Myth just sneaking around, or perhaps for a GM to set the ambiance.

Blades is very much Tom Waits for me. Especially these two songs:

And then there is also this:

Oh and Nick Cave of course. Murder Ballads seems to fit very well.

Pretty much the whole Victoria 2 OST is what comes to mind. I don’t think it would be very dark music. But rather up-beat as contrast, having some beauty in a otherwise dreary world of coal, demons, ghosts and murders. That’s not to say there wouldn’t be haunting music as-well.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMtVu-ZtwEk

1 Like

I always thought Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds would be appropriate, and that was before I remembered that Red Right Hand is the theme for Peaky Blinders.

Oh god, I just had a mental image:
We’re inside a tavern somewhere in Duskwall, some indeterminate time after the eventual end of the campaign. It’s after closing time, and in the corner where they parked a worn, dusty piano a figure sits down and begins to compose a series of murder ballads based on the exploits of The Last Word.

1 Like

The Theme Song to Penny Dreadful.

Mombi’s Hall of Heads from Return to Oz.

Or something like Ghost Song by Max Ablitzer.

Hope these help. :slight_smile:

I think they need to blast 1812 Overture next time they have a fight scene.