itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

RollPlay: Court of Swords - Season 1 Overview

Inspired by this masterpiece, I thought someone needs to get a CoS edition going! I think this should have seperate posts for each season. This is a WIP. Feel free to chip in.

General Background of the Show

RollPlay: Court of Swords is using the Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition game system and is run by RollPlays’ DM Adam Koebel.

The core religion of this world follows an arch, representing journeys for example from life to death, or from ignorance to entlightenment. The gods of this world, the Arcana, are stations along those journeys, each representing a stage that someone needs to take in their life. Priests and clerics are guides for that part of a persons’ life. However, the Arcana are constantly undermined by a demonic force called the Mara, tempting demons of unknown origin, whose seeming goal is to disrupt peoples’ journeys to enlightenment by offering immediate power or riches, usually to long-term defect. This is where things like necromancy or demonic infestation come from.

Lore Q&A from week 14 ‘Speak of the Devil’ (spoilers)

Q: Do gods usually interfere or is that purely a Mara thing, as we’ve seen before?
A: The gods barely exist, they have no conscious will. Think of them as a source of energy, more than anything. The thing is though, that’s just what the Courts believe. The Mara love getting their hands dirty.

In this setting, the world is divided into four courts: The Court of Swords, the Court of Wands, the Court of Cups and the Court of Coins. Each one being divinely mandated to run their respective parts of the world. The cast are members of the Magistrate, which are described as a “fantasy FBI” of the Court of Swords, sent out to patrol the roads, visit the various towns and cities of the Court of Swords, to make sure everything is running smoothely. At least that’s what people know the Magistrates do. Due to the danger of the job, in secret, the Magistrate is tasked to search for signs of political, but also magical corruption, to seek out and rid the world of the forces of the Mara.

##itmeJP as Zephyra Awen, The West Wind

Being a genasi, which are sort of the noble caste of the different courts, Zephyra is generally seen with reverence. Prior to her appointment as magistrate, she has been around the army for the most part of her life and held an officers rank, indicated by her upside down scimitar emblem.

Most of the time she’s quiet, calm, collected.

She’s wielding a scimitar, a small shield, three javelins and two handaxes

Class:
Race:

HP:
AC:

STR:
DEX:
CON:
CHAR:
WIS:
INT:
Barbarian
Genasi (Air)

12 (+1)
18 (+4)
15 (+2)
12 (+1)
  9 (-1)
11 (+0)

Art by @davestokes

##Dans Gaming as Baern Hillstern

Baerm is a hill dwarf, who was raised as a cleric in a monastery worshiping Temperance. He also received some fighting training with the paladins of his order.

He is not good at communicating with people, since he spent most of his life over books, isolated in the monastery. So interacting with people is a new thing to him, since his appointment to magistrate.

He has a quiet and reserved personality, which is often misinterpreted by others as being ignorant, since the hill dwarfs in this world are usually regarded as backwater people.

Class:
Race:

HP:
AC:

STR:
DEX:
CON:
CHAR:
WIS:
INT:
Cleric
Hill Dwarf

14 (+2)
12 (+1)
15 (+2)
  8 (-1)
16 (+3)
10 (+0)

Art by @davestokes

##GassyMexican as Velimir Cetrovic

As a fire genasi, Velimir is marked as a foreigner in the Court of Swords, which is “the Air Court”. People are sometimes in awe and excited from seeing fire genasi for their first time, yet somtimes they feel disdain towards Velimir, since it doesn’t make much sense for a foreigner to be a magistrate. But the Court of Swords must have had a reason, appointing him to this job!

Velimir is kind of a dick who can be reasoned with. He respects wit and intelect and has a drive to better himself.

Class:
Race:

HP:
AC:

STR:
DEX:
CON:
CHAR:
WIS:
INT:
Rogue
Genasi (Fire)

14 (+2)
15 (+2)
14 (+2)
10 (+0)
16 (+3)
10 (+0)

Art by @davestokes

Day9’s upcoming character:

3 Likes

I think I actually heard JP scream when Day9 asked if Adam could assign the attributes randomly.

4 Likes

I guess if you’re going to do that with any stat array, this one would be one of the better ones, you’re at least OK at everything.

I’ll approve this Wiki topic. I’ll make a post about the future of the wiki’s in a bit.

I’d love for @AdamKoebel to check if anything up there is utter horseshit :itmejphi::itmejpgg:

Should this be in here, or in the CoS section?

It’s possible. Discuss it here: [Suggestion] WIKI section?!

Is there character art for the season 2 characters? Can’t seem to find it.

2 Likes

I need to start searching here, I guess… only checked the tweetyspace :itmejpfml:

1 Like