itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[PAX South] RollPlay: Four Years Later ~ Questions for JP

Hey everyone! As you might know, JP and I are going to be doing a panel on the first four years of RollPlay. The format is going to be me interviewing JP and asking questions about the show’s history, how it works, its future and his thoughts and feelings on it. I’ve got a bunch of things I’m personally curious about, but I’d love to hear what YOU want to know!

Do you have burning questions for He Who Produces? Submit them right here in the thread or via this Google Form!

9 Likes

I mean, you can ask whatever you like! I’ll decide what questions are appropriate for the panel, of course.

What are some goals that you think are achieveable for RollPlay in the future, and what are some dreams you think are not realistic but you would like to happen?

1 Like

What aspect of Rollplay shows no longer running do you miss the most?

Best decision made regarding Rollplay?
Worst decision made regarding Rollplay?
Where do you see Rollplay a year from now, Very similar as now or Changed a decent amount?

This all started as nerds having fun and streaming it. And it kinda has to be that way, because, like JP and others often say, when they don’t have fun, the audience will notice and not have fun either.

Turning that into a business, and especially when adding a Patreon that makes around 15k a month, how does that influence the “just a bunch of nerds having fun” part? E.g. in regard to decisions made for cast, ruleset etc. but also with decisions made on the show. Do JP/ the players/GMs ever feel a pressure to “do the quest” or “what chat wants” or whatever when they’d rather do something else?

4 Likes

If you could have anyone in the world, from twitch streamers to movie stars to politicians, who would you have as a dream cast for a show?

What systems would you like to see on the show that you haven’t had yet?

Would you (JP) ever GM a show again, even just a one shot? If so, what system and what cast?

What merchandise would you like to produce for Rollplay?

Would you ever consider releasing game supplements (such as system agnostic setting books, or even a unique, custom written Rollplay rules system) under the Rollplay brand?

how did/does it feel to not be playing games/just producing? Was it nerve wracking letting go of that control?

Jabba, follow the google link to ask your questions. There is a form to ask.

I think submitting questions here might be ok

submitting in either place is fine!

My mistake. Figured it would be easier to have them all in one place.

1 Like

Moose already mentioned that. My mistake

A couple of questions on RollPlay past:

• I’d love to hear of the times when you’ve been completely invested in something that’s happening to another character.
  • Has there been a time when another player or GM has taken you completely off guard with a decision or twist?

And a boring question on the brand/future:

• At the moment you seem to be balancing your own personal ‘itmejp’ brand with the ‘Rollplay’ one. Although there’s some now separation with the Patreon, do you see a time when the two might become distinct in terms of channels/subscriptions/etc?

I’d love to hear more about what it was like streaming D&D when Rollplay started. Was there any resistance from fans or Twitch??

I’d love to know how Neal, Steven, John and yourself Adam got involved with Rollplay as DMs, who approached who, it’d be interesting to hear if and how that process changed with time and an increased audience, I can’t imagine the process of getting Neal on board was even close to the same as John.

How, if at all, has the process of getting cast members changed, not from a contract money business sense, but from a people’s openess to get involved in online Rollplay games.

Top 5 of characters lost early (had plans for or wanted to see more of; not restricted to own characters)?!

As detailed as time allows, please! Maybe just Top 3? :itmejpgg:

1. Any wish to have a RollPlay merchandise store as a higher patreon tier? if so what would you like to have on it other than shirts?
  2. Dream things you would love to add to the live show setup?

Just wanted to say I am really happy with the current state of RollPlay. A heartfelt thank you to everyone involved :heart:

3 Likes

Gotta ask a really important question, let me think.

What was in Alice’s box ( the one armed pc with 18 strength)

Off the top of my head:

• Have you thought about trying to GM again now you are more experienced and now that beginners have started to GM one shots?

• When was the point you realized that Rollplay could become more than you initially thought, and at when did it become “business”?

• Can you name all the Rollplay shows you have done?

• How much have you looked at other shows in the space and are there things you have taken from other productions? What are the things you do that you think others should be copying?

• If you had to start dnd for the first time now do you still think you would stream it and where do you think it would go?

• How important have you felt networking has been for Rollplay specifically?

• What was it like moving out of Esports and if you were still there what do you think you would be doing?

• If you could go back in time and stop the first or second TPK with the original group, would you?

• What led you to start running shows without you being on the cast and what was it like?

• Way down the line would you continue with Rollplay even if you weren’t on any shows?

• Have you thought about making a show and presenting edited sessions as your content on somewhere like youtube?

• Would you consider an ex state of the game hosts one shot?

1 Like