itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

On the recent questions regarding Steven

In recent days, I’ve been tagged with comments/questions regarding the subject of Steven’s departure from RollPlay®. It has become a topic of conversation across this community site, Twitter, my YouTube channel, and on the unofficial subreddit. It’s important for me to first point out that I’ve always tried to keep the focus on the content being produced and not the business behind it. Not because I don’t want to engage with the community, but because I don’t want what goes on behind the scenes (especially if it involves personal drama) to ruin the experience of a viewer. Being able to enjoy a show simply because you enjoy the cast and/or DM, and are engaged in the actual storyline, is one of the purest experiences on Twitch, and one that I constantly aim for our viewers.

I’d like to take a few minutes to say a few things. First, that Steven and I have recently talked offline about this topic in an effort to resolve any lingering questions, so that we can move forward on the same page. Secondly, even prior to that conversation, he was invited to participate in future projects. It is possible he will one day return in some fashion to RollPlay® content. And, if not, I’d like to also publicly say that I will always appreciate the work, time, and engagement he had with the RollPlay® community while DMing here. I know he will find success in his tabletop endeavors and I’m excited to see his future projects.

All that said, I want to clear up that his work/life balance at the time, as well as the goal of diversifying the types content produced on RollPlay® were absolutely factors in the decision that was made to move on without him. There ARE other factors, but, again, I do not believe certain, personal, behind-the-scenes issues need to be addressed in public forums. These factors also don’t need to be witch hunted or conspiracy theorie’d because they are private. Steven and I have discussed them recently, and I’m pretty confident in saying we’ve cleared up any questions specifically regarding that decision between the two of us.

I admit that I made the mistake of not having a full, clear conversation with Steven about all of these factors at the time. We did not, together, come up with a cohesive message to communicate his departure to the community. This is the cause of confusion for some viewers. For that, I apologize to anyone who felt the way in which it was handled was not done properly.

It was, and will continue to be, my goal to simply produce the best tabletop content for our community. Sometimes business decisions have to get made, and I can promise to do my best in the future to engage with the community when they do, to be as transparent as I can about them. As always, I thank the viewers and subs, both new and long term, for your support, feedback, and work put in to make the community as great as it is. It wouldn’t be RollPlay® without you.

Here’s to an exciting 2017.

65 Likes

To clarify, so that this does not become a fact: Steven was not asked to participate in the upcoming Swan Song.

The statement above is referring to other initiatives like Maid RPG.

2 Likes

Was it though? JP isn’t responsible for reddit trolls and their conspiracy theories. It was a private affair that he’s being forced to comment on due to the rise in unfounded accusations and questions.

Kinda brings out a greater issue of the culture of today, really. Fake news, unfounded accusations that are then stated by people as true because the accused did not respond to them, etc.

7 Likes

Thanks for addressing the elephant in the community over the last few days.

Really hope the issues both private and public works out and we see Steven back on a show in the future.

(also good to see Steven retweet JP’s tweet about this thread)

7 Likes

Thanks for the communication. I agree that personal things are none of the community’s business more than when absolutely necessary, and when things happen that sometimes have (at least partially) personal reasons things can be difficult to address.

I’m glad you two have cleared things up between the two of you; really that’s the most important thing I think.

I really like Steven, though his playing and DMing style seem much different from anyone else’s on Rollplay really.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in that I appreciate the effort.

3 Likes

Hopefully this finally lifts the blood haze, and propels RollPlay further skyward.

1 Like

Sorry but it was very public. People are not looking for private details they are questioning why the two stories didn’t match.

Maybe some of the information wasn’t meant to be public but it did leak and if that is the case it only point out why its important to have joint statements on why x person is leaving.

If you really want to question the fake news ask yourself why their two stories didn’t line up. Reddit trolls and their conspiracy theories didn’t spawned these accusations and questions it was the broken communication between the two.

All that we can hope for is it handled with more clarity and care in the future.

5 Likes

Can this please not devolve into a fight.
Edit for clarity: have a discussion in a reasonable tone and keep in mind not everyone will agree with you.

3 Likes

Thank you JP.

In one way I feel sad that all the theories and conspiracy talk “forced” you to make this statement, because some individuals like to make a big deal wanting to clarify things that is none of their business (although their interest) . The theories made it much harder to proceed and methaphorically clog the water under the bridge.

In another way i’m happy that from now on, it will be much easier for everyone to enjoy RollPlay again.

Thanks.

1 Like

I really appreciate this, JP. I was one of those people that were really confused when the first announcements of RollPlay came out and had to seek all sorts of outlets for answers. While this still leaves a lot unanswered, it’s not our business and it’s clear you guys just had a falling out, which is okay to say. It happens. I’m happy these issues are being put to bed instead of being swept under the rug like they were before, and I hope one day whatever issues can be resolved.

1 Like

fair juice for making such a clear statement on it. hopefully puts an end to speculation. Will be honest the thing i wanted to read the most was that you guys are still talking and friends which seems to be the case and for which i am very glad.

1 Like

Man, I bet he’s put so many things in his mouth since the last WM we may need a dedicated preshow to cover them.

12 Likes

That’s how I feel, whether or not if stories match or not, what happens between them is their business.

Plu,s Adam to this day, even on his latest office hours referred to Steven as a friend.

Friends have issues, friends might not get along at times. JP doesn’t really OWE anyone anything. Hopefully this explanation settles things down because it’s annoying to see this topic come up now and then in chat.

2 Likes

Thanks @itmejp. I was hoping for something like this to understand more. Not necessarily any of our business, but at the end of the day we can’t help caring. You, your cast, and your shows are exceedingly important to a lot of us. =)

1 Like

You guys are public figures at this point, whether you like it or not, there isn’t much you can do about it save for just abandoning everything.

Maybe you aren’t public figures at the millions or billions scale of hollywood actors and major government figures, but for a few thousands you are irrevocably one. From those thousands there’s a smaller, very dedicated, group that cares immensely for that little space of the internet, for those shows, and they will always want to know more regardless of the amount of information put out to the public and will scrutinise everything.

You JP are the main public face of it all which means eventually the pressure and responsibility inevitably will fall on you and that’s a tough situation to be in. This will always happen, you can minimize speculation by either being upfront and transparent or by making sure there’s no hint whatsoever of what goes on on the background, making sure everyone is on the same page and sending out the same message, but still people will wonder why things were made the way they were, why this or that decision was made, read between lines and all that.

It’s good to see this issue acknowledge and that lessons were learnt from it, so that the backlash, and the stress and frustration that possibly came along with it, might not repeat itself down the line.

Thanks for the post

3 Likes

Being a public figure means that you exchange a small (keyword: SMALL) portion of your privacy in the interest of providing entertainment to the masses.

This does NOT give those masses the right to come up with wild theories, start witch hunts, turn opinion into fact, seek to obtain more personal information than what the entertainer themselves have put out there, or assume that they need to know everything about said entertainer or their business.

I can’t speak for JP on any of this, and it’s fully my own opinion, but as an entertainer and public figure myself, I know that people WILL come up with wild theories, start witch hunts against me, state their opinions as fact (specifically about personal issues), but it doesn’t mean they have the RIGHT to. It doesn’t make it OK, and I think pointing out “this specific issue is private” is a good reminder that not everything has to opened up for public commentary, that it’s not a part of the SMALL sacrifice being made to put content out there.

As a parent, I have sometimes told my daughter 70% of the information she needed to know about a given situation, not because I’m lying or because I’m some kind of evil overlord parent who enjoys holding a position of power by keeping information from her - it’s because many times, for her OWN best interest, the other 30% of the information is better left unsaid. The same goes for entertainers and their audiences. It takes trust with the entertainer you admire, but you should know most genuinely make certain choices because they want to make you, their viewer, happy. This means that sometimes you won’t see what goes on behind the scenes and you have to accept that it really is better that way.

21 Likes

great post…

I think there’s a fine line between being a “fan” and being “fanatical,” and my interpretation of your post is that you’re describing fanatical people.

people confuse the two and people go down the “fanatical” route without realizing it and get defensive when people try to point it out to them.

Also some content creators encourage the fanaticism in their fanbase but that’s a whole 'nother topic…

1 Like

I’ve heard his thoughts on the topic and can’t say I disagree. That’s a touchy subject and one that’s very complicated. I give kudos to content creators that do acknowledge fanaticism and call it out when they see it because It’s a risky thing for some of them to do, when you think about the financial implications it can have, depending on the fanbase, etc.

But I don’t want to derail this thread, so I’ll leave it at that lol. Like JP said in his OP. The focus should be on the content and interactions within the community, and not the drama or behind the scenes workings of JPs stream/business.

And in all honesty, knowing the exact details of what happened between the two, won’t change anything for the viewer. The current shows are the current shows.

Thank you JP, for clearing things up for us.

First and foremost, my thanks to JP for addressing this issue in such a way that, as a fan who came in during the Steven era of the Rollplay brand, is more at ease at the situations involved that led to the two entities separating ways for the time being.

I thought this forum message conveyed things far better than the rather awkward interview Cohh did of both JP and Adam when the Patreon announcement came out on Dropped Frames where, admittedly, I felt questions regarding Steven and his involvement in the brand just left me unsatisfied at the answers given at the time particularly when at the time it seemed to have caught Steven himself by surprise at the time if I recall his twitter posts correctly.

For me as a fan of the franchise, I love Adam and he is a great asset to the show, but it was TotalBiscuit and Steven that brought me to Rollplay with Dark Heresy so with Steven’s loss along with a great show like West Marches, I felt it keenly.

Any fandom with a following of any sort has it’s good elements and it’s bad, sometimes the only way of trying to curtail the bad is with clearer communication with all parties involved to have a cohesive message especially following cancellation of popular shows, announcement of a yet unproven Patreon model for future programming and for me, the start of Court of Swords was especially rocky that nearly turned me from the brand entirely. So it isn’t entirely surprising that the conspiracy theories manifested and kept on going in the background for months at a time.

I agree with all of Aureylian’s points, we aren’t entitled to knowing everything going on behind the curtain, it’s none of our business and I feel a great many here agree with that sentiment.

However there are those who feel, because they sub on Twitch, bought the T-shirts and backed the Patreon that they feel somewhat entitled to having some say of a channel’s programming or knowing more than they should. Being so invested, they probably took on the mantle of internet sleuths a little too seriously to try and pull apart the narrative to find out if something more nefarious really went down than the initial story given.

TB’s had his share of opinions on matters such as these, had his clashes with his fanbase, but ultimately his point of view is a salient one. He provides a service, a free one at that, and it’s up to us whether to consume it or not and if we do, if choose to chip in some extra coin for additional services in his case such as early access VoD’s or the occasional shirt then it’s on us but he as a content creator had fulfilled his duty. JP’s in a different boat especially in a increasingly competitive marketplace with roleplay shows while maintaining a patreon to boot. That’s a lot of things to float in addition to dealing with an increasing number of cast candidates for his shows, I don’t quite know how he manages it but kudos to him for making it work thus far with minimum hiccups.

Now it is my sincerest hope that things were learned from this experience, that better cohesive communication with the community will win the day echoed by all parties involved should there be any shifts in the future. A lot of problems will be avoided in the future this way.

And I will continue to hope that one day, Steven will return to Rollplay in one way or another. Hell, I still have hope for Dark Heresy, so that’s saying something.

8 Likes