itmeJP Community

On the recent questions regarding Steven

rollplay
steven

(banned) #23

That's true, they don't have any right to do these things. But they will. People will always use the information they have available to them and will always fill in any gap they see, and then seek to get more information to fill any gaps they still have.

Witch hunting is inexcusable of course (not that I saw any witch hunting personally but it isn't impossible), but in this particular case no one was asking for anything about it up until this point. It was only revived because someone asked Steven about it, and he gave a very different answer than what JP gave publicly in the original announcement and followup talks about it.

So people, naturally, wanted answers, or came to their own conclusions, about the discrepancies between these two sets of conflicting information...or at least overlapping in a non conductive manner.

But I wholeheartedly agree with everything else you've mentioned. You're right, we don't need to know everything, at all, but when new information is freely given away there are going to be ways that that information works it's way into the public of said figure should they be overly connected to said information.

(DrewM87) #24

great post...

I think there's a fine line between being a "fan" and being "fanatical," and my interpretation of your post is that you're describing fanatical people.

people confuse the two and people go down the "fanatical" route without realizing it and get defensive when people try to point it out to them.

Also some content creators encourage the fanaticism in their fanbase but that's a whole 'nother topic...

(banned) #25

Yeah, Totalbiscuit has plenty to say on that matter too.

(DrewM87) #26

I've heard his thoughts on the topic and can't say I disagree. That's a touchy subject and one that's very complicated. I give kudos to content creators that do acknowledge fanaticism and call it out when they see it because It's a risky thing for some of them to do, when you think about the financial implications it can have, depending on the fanbase, etc.

But I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll leave it at that lol. Like JP said in his OP. The focus should be on the content and interactions within the community, and not the drama or behind the scenes workings of JPs stream/business.

And in all honesty, knowing the exact details of what happened between the two, won't change anything for the viewer. The current shows are the current shows.

(Deabaker) #27

Thank you JP, for clearing things up for us.

(Kyorlinn) #28

First and foremost, my thanks to JP for addressing this issue in such a way that, as a fan who came in during the Steven era of the Rollplay brand, is more at ease at the situations involved that led to the two entities separating ways for the time being.

I thought this forum message conveyed things far better than the rather awkward interview Cohh did of both JP and Adam when the Patreon announcement came out on Dropped Frames where, admittedly, I felt questions regarding Steven and his involvement in the brand just left me unsatisfied at the answers given at the time particularly when at the time it seemed to have caught Steven himself by surprise at the time if I recall his twitter posts correctly.

For me as a fan of the franchise, I love Adam and he is a great asset to the show, but it was TotalBiscuit and Steven that brought me to Rollplay with Dark Heresy so with Steven's loss along with a great show like West Marches, I felt it keenly.

Any fandom with a following of any sort has it's good elements and it's bad, sometimes the only way of trying to curtail the bad is with clearer communication with all parties involved to have a cohesive message especially following cancellation of popular shows, announcement of a yet unproven Patreon model for future programming and for me, the start of Court of Swords was especially rocky that nearly turned me from the brand entirely. So it isn't entirely surprising that the conspiracy theories manifested and kept on going in the background for months at a time.

I agree with all of Aureylian's points, we aren't entitled to knowing everything going on behind the curtain, it's none of our business and I feel a great many here agree with that sentiment.

However there are those who feel, because they sub on Twitch, bought the T-shirts and backed the Patreon that they feel somewhat entitled to having some say of a channel's programming or knowing more than they should. Being so invested, they probably took on the mantle of internet sleuths a little too seriously to try and pull apart the narrative to find out if something more nefarious really went down than the initial story given.

TB's had his share of opinions on matters such as these, had his clashes with his fanbase, but ultimately his point of view is a salient one. He provides a service, a free one at that, and it's up to us whether to consume it or not and if we do, if choose to chip in some extra coin for additional services in his case such as early access VoD's or the occasional shirt then it's on us but he as a content creator had fulfilled his duty. JP's in a different boat especially in a increasingly competitive marketplace with roleplay shows while maintaining a patreon to boot. That's a lot of things to float in addition to dealing with an increasing number of cast candidates for his shows, I don't quite know how he manages it but kudos to him for making it work thus far with minimum hiccups.

Now it is my sincerest hope that things were learned from this experience, that better cohesive communication with the community will win the day echoed by all parties involved should there be any shifts in the future. A lot of problems will be avoided in the future this way.

And I will continue to hope that one day, Steven will return to Rollplay in one way or another. Hell, I still have hope for Dark Heresy, so that's saying something.

(notNOTjack) #29

I completely agree that being a public figure does not mean you are required to disclose any information you feel you should keep private. You certainly shouldn’t do it, regardless of whatever the public’s actions and behaviour, if that is your wish. You can even do what JP just did perfectly here, which is addressing the situation and clarify it without actually revealing the private matters that where not meant to be shared.

I also completely agree the public is not entitled to that information and has no right to demand any more insight into the private ongoings of the lives and businesses of those public figures. But demanding information that was deemed private and creating theories and debating those theories isn’t at all the same. People don’t have the right to demand anything of the sort but they do have the right to speculate or create theories based upon the information that is willingly given to them. If you believe it to be wrong or that people should not delve into these speculations is an entirely different story.

I just meant to state that it is something that is going to happen and is unavoidable because of the status of being a public figure that generates a following and garners the interest of many (I realise the way I phrased it might have come across a bit rough) and that the only thing the public figure can do is limit the speculation in a way or another, which is what JP is doing and, in my opinion, correctly.

It’s just natural to the inquisitive human mind to, as Jabba_the_space_gangster puts it, fill the gaps with what information they have and what is hinted or read between the lines. Of course those speculations shouldn’t turn into “witch hunts”, or be stated and regarded as factual, but also the fact that people are debating these speculations and theories doesn’t inherently constitute a witch hunt or a negative thing. The demanding of information not divulged, the statement of theories as fact and the feeling of entitlement of the ones that actually pester those figures for those insights is what constitutes a problem and what should be seen as something negative, and not the debate and sharing of speculations.

I don’t exactly agree with the analogy you make at the end, I feel they are wildly different things due to the variables involved (but I full heartedly agree that keeping some information from your child, or from people in general, isn’t a reprehensible or bad thing to do) but I also am not a public figure or a parent like yourself so I wouldn’t really know.

I hope I wasn’t out of line, it certainly wasn’t my intention.

(GreyGryphon) #30

I'm not going to ask myself any such thing because it's none of my business.

I wish more people would remind themselves of that before going on wild social media frenzies.

Like freaking sharks smelling blood in the water.

Edit: If you can't tell, I freaking HATE social media. It has produced very little good and a whole LOT of negative in the world in general.

(Darkvlagor) #31

Aggressive punchlines tends to put people on the defensive, with the same tone :wink:
A more positive phrasing tends to put a point accross more efficiently !
:itmejpbro:I still love you tho bb

(notNOTjack) #32

Yup. It was poorly phrased no doubt and I got the reaction I deserved for my mistake.

Love you too buddy <3

(VyRe40) #33

Amusingly, fan comes from "fanatic" etymologically - a late 19th century short-form of fanatic. But yeah, the vernacular has changed somewhat.

The problem with fanaticism is that, though you can exert some influence over its spread, you can never really control it outright to the degree that it can be eliminated since some people tend toward those personality factors - obsessiveness, information control, paranoia, etc.

Kinda falls into the category of haters and trolls (in that they'll always exist in some form), and you just have to be careful with what you put out there knowing that some people in a certain state of mind will latch onto something and make drama where there shouldn't really be any. It's not right, but it happens.

(NoDecafPlz) #34

If you and Steven are cool, and he knows he is welcome, then the details aren't really our business.

(DrewM87) #35

yeah man, I remember learning that when I was a little kid. As you pointed out, the way it's used as changed and evolved over time.

(Bezier123) #36

All accusations are caused by people caring to much. Fanatical or not, what fans really wanted to get from JP was hope that there's more Swan Song or more Steven in the future of Rollplay. If everything is alright the hope is there and hope is all everyone needs. Because most people can clench their teeth and give things time if they are allowed to hope for a better tomorrow.

Seriously though - JP proven on many occasions that he knows exactly that. So many annoucements were given just so that fans could believe that things are not over even if they were.

(banned) #37

I don't think you give fans enough credit. Most got disillusioned with the idea of Dark Heresy coming back after a few months, and it was only frustrating without official word of it being cancelled.

I didn't even think anything was wrong with SS or WM until the announcement came. Sucker punch of a thing personally. However after DH, I wasn't under any impression either SS or WM would return in a similar fasion as they existed before.