itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

Let's talk comic books!

So, living in sweden, growing up in the 90’s I didn´t have alot of access to comic books, growing up there were dubbed x-men on tv, translated turtles and donald duck etc but not a whole lot of DC Comics or Marvel, I feel like I missed out!

Now, it´s everywhere on tv and the movies, I want to indulge myself in the old school comics, does anyone here know where I can get myself on some hard copies or is there a good website that has digitilized versions available? I´m willing to spend money, and I don´t visit comic cons because that´s being too normal for me I guess…

Without knowing what you are looking for Marvel and DC publish hardcover collections of their previous comics.

For example Marvel has the Masterworks collection (which focus on a specific character/team) , it also has omnibuses , and hard cover collection (sometimes trade paper back too) of runs of a specific authors and comic events etc…

DC has those kind a huge archive like hardcover collections as well.

you can buy comics digitally from Comixology or in print from online book stores like amazon or Book Depository (which has free international delivery, but it takes longer for you to receive the books)

1 Like

25th anniversary Image humble bundle for those interested.

1 Like

Injection and Trees for me have been amazing. I don’t pretend to be an avid comic/graphic novel reader, but these two really made me “wow”. Will be checking out more Warren Ellis for sure :blush:

Out of curiosity, does anyone currently sub to digital comic sub services?

Personally I have been subbed to Marvel unlimited last year. Cancelled it because I kept forgetting I had it, and now thinking of subbing again :itmejplol:

I mostly have trades and Hardcovers but I like the convenience of digital for travel and commutes.

I just got tired of using a literal five suitcases and two six foot long plastic tubs to transport my library. Now I can just put it all on a hard drive. :grin:

1 Like

I have no idea what that has to do with transportation and moving.

With comics and books alike, I almost always buy them digitally first, then only buy physical copies of those I like. I realize this isn’t a luxury everyone can afford, but I like the ease of access of digital without having to sacrifice the physical object or clutter up my shelves with books I didn’t enjoy.

I’ve been using Comixology Unlimited for several months now. I would recommend it, as long as:

• …their selection looks appealing to you. This probably goes without saying, but look at the current Unlimited selection, because if you don’t see enough things that interest you now, you’re probably not going to like next month’s selection either.

• …you’re okay with getting a free introduction to a series and paying for subsequent issues/volumes. Most of Unlimited seems to be first volumes (and less frequently just first issues) of series. I’m not personally familiar with Marvel Unlimited, but my brother has it and it sounds like they more often make full/longer runs available for free at one time, so I would see that as a key difference between the two services.

All that being said, I often forget I have the subscription as well. I will go long periods without checking the Unlimited selection, notice something I want to buy is available for free, and end up binging on Unlimited offerings for a few days. Since I buy physical copies of the things I like, it’s not saving me much on those, but there is no question it has saved me money on the comics that ended up disappointing me.

1 Like

Oh so Comixology unlimited is mostly vol 1s to discover other things to read?
Can’t seem to find a good list of all the comics on offer in that service. Their site mentions that you can browse the site and there will be an icon for something that qualifies, much easier to sort through them in the app.

Marvel unlimited releases comics to the service 6 months after print sales iirc. As well as the back issues.
What I liked a lot when I had it is the comics sorted by event. I read the first Civil War on it and I liked that the comics were listed in recommended reading order.

Speaking of recommended reading order - When I got the HC of the Spider-Verse event I thought that was how the comics would be listed. However I think they were listed alphabetically by series with a recommended reading order list at the start of the book. It really annoyed me when I was flipping through the book to go to a specific issue and see a panel from an issue down the line that tells me where the story is going. :itmejps:

That’s been my experience, and this seems to back that up.

Is that one of them there cross-over situations? (Forgive my ignorance of Marvel and superheroes in general.) I can see the appeal of that organization from a sort of cleanliness of order perspective, but purely for reading that sounds like a major headache.

Has anyone been following along with the comic book club on @djWHEAT and @iNcontroLTV’s Fanboys? I haven’t so far, but I love the idea of it.

1 Like

Thank you :smiley:

Yeah its an event that is a crossover of all the spiders in the marvel verse

yeah exactly. For people who only want to follow specific characters it seems fine but otherwise as you said a headache.