itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

Let's talk comic books!

Whats everyone reading! What’s new, and more importantly what’s good?

I used to read pretty much anything and everything when I worked at a local comic shop, but have since pared my monthly list to one or two books a week.

• Black Widow
  • Lazarus
  • Reborn (brand new)
  • Paper Girls
  • East of West
  • Superman
  • Batman
  • The Mighty Thor

Let me know what you guys are into, and maybe we can get a weekly discussion going on!

1 Like

Saga is a must read. Great story, great art but 18+ with out a doubt.

I would be cool if we could get DJwheat to post his current reading list here.

4 Likes

I always forget about that book, but I need to catch back up. I think I stopped somewhere in the 30’s. So freaking good.

Just finished a reread of Powers, which is fantastic.
The only comic I am currently following 100% is The Walking Dead, which is crazy good.

I’d love to take part in a weekly discussion. Let me know what comics are a “Can’t miss” and which ones to avoid :itmejpheart:

1 Like

Man, I cannot count how many times Powers has been restarted. I think I stopped reading that after it moved over to Icon (from Image), and it just seemed to fizzle out for me.

Been a long time since I’ve really liked a Bendis book though.

And yeah, I’d like to hop in here each week and see what’s new and good :slight_smile:

I finished the books I had that was pre-secret wars.
Currently reading the lead up to secret wars with Hickman’s Avengers and New Avengers.
My back log is huge and my current pace is slow. Not sure when I will get to my DC and Image backlog :joy:

Side notes-

• If anyone wants to get into Captain Marvel start with Kelly Sue Deconnick’s run.
  • Nice entry point to comics are The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan)
  • Matt Fraction’s Hawkeye = best Hawkeye
2 Likes

BRO.

BRO.

Matt Fraction’s Hawkeye is the only Hawkeye.

1 Like

Fact. which is why I am always slightly disappointed when I see movie Hawkeye.

1 Like

Have you read Hickman’s Fantastic Four run? I think it’s my favorite things he’s ever written, and Secret Wars is basically the continuation of that run.

The fact that there is no more Fantastic Four book is a travesty. That comic book was the backbone of the Marvel Universe for forever and now it’s just gone.

Ugh. Crummy Hawkeye.

1 Like

Will add that to my to read list. Other than what I am currently reading I do not think I have read his other stuff.

He’s…he thinks big. Big large ideas that make no sense at first. When it’s all finished and said and done, it’s something that a lot of other comic book writers want to achieve but fail spectacularly.

1 Like

Saga is so good. It’s one of my inspirations for the new show with Dodger, Sam, Jesse and Pokket.

3 Likes

Ooooooh HINTS!!! :itmejphype:

2 Likes

I always forget that the book is Sci-Fi, not the dumbed-down action sci-fi from today. Much more like Traveler and GURPS and all the old school RPG’s.

Any other books you’ve used for inspiration in your games?

Holy shit I didn’t think I could be more excited for that game but here we are upgrading my hype train from locomotive to bullet train.

1 Like

BKV is the king of comics imo. No one else is so consistently good and original as he is.

If there is something I would always recommend is Moebius, Enki Bilal and any collaboration they had with Jodorowsky. The Nikopol Trilogy and L’Incal would possibly be two good starts.

The only comic I am religiously following right now is Doctor Strange…and if you’re looking to jump in to read Doctor Strange, I wouldn’t recommend this one as the starting point. Don’t get me wrong, personally I think the story is enjoyable, even with a slight miss characterization; but if you’re looking for the classic mind-boggling Doctor Strange adventures, the older series are better places to look at. I personally would just read the ye olde Strange Tales for the origin stories and to get to know the point of the character.

Also, I am excited for the return of Richard Rider the one true Nova and the new Thanos serialization. Cosmic Marvel is always a blast (unless Bendis is writing it).

This man is amazing. His films are amazing (Jodorowsky’s Dune is one of my favorite films). I need to read some of the comics he’s been involved in. Are there some would recommend?

1 Like