itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

Let's talk comic books!

I think I will be pushing Mr. Stjepan Sejic here :smile: I bought both first 4 volumes of Sunstone ,the best NSFW BDSM Rom-Com and Death Vigil awesome “Death leads super-hero team to fight eldritch horrors and necromancers”. I would actually like to play an RPG in that universe :stuck_out_tongue:

The one I mentioned before, L’Incal (The Incal), is a comic book series born of the collaboration between Jodorowsky and master comic book artist Moebius (or Jean Giraud if you will). Later Jodorowski collaborates with some other artists in later books of the series. The entire series is long but it is divided in… what should I call it? Arcs? Chapters?.. of which the one I’m more familiar with and that I recommend for sure is the first one, the arc that gives name to the series, L’Incal, which is comprised of six books:

• L’Incal Noir (“The Black Incal”) (1981)
  • L’Incal Lumière (“The Luminous Incal”) (1982)
  • Ce qui est en bas (“What Lies Beneath”) (1984)
  • Ce qui est en haut (“What is Above”) (1985)
  • La cinquième essence – Galaxie qui Songe (“The Fifth Essence – The Dreaming Galaxy”) (1988)
  • La cinquième essence – La planète Difool (“The Fifth Essence – Planet DiFool”) (1988)

The other arcs are called Before The Incal, After The Incal and Final Incal.

I’ll get back to you with some other ones I have in my “collection” if you’d like.

Ah yeah The Incal. A lot of things in that book is taken from what he wanted to do with Dune. That’s how he got to know Moebius in the first place. I only know about it since they talked about in the documentary. The concept art that Moebius did for his version of Dune was awesome.

1 Like

Yup. I actually bought a comic book in September by these two geniuses that had a preface written by Jodorowsky describing how he got to know Jean Giraud and how they decided to keep exploring their collaboration after the collapse of Dune’s project. According to it Giraud already had the kind of aesthetic and imagery that they wanted for the movie but many of the things they did together sprouted from the work they had done for Dune.

Reading Saga, Invincible , Walking Dead, was reading the Darth Vader series when they were on sale on comixology , might pick that back up , Sex Criminals was pretty good. Only problem with Saga and Invincible is that they are so far apart but those two are the ones I most into.

Cool, good to know .

I don’t read a ton of comic books, I’m fairly new to it as a medium, but I’ve been reading a few different Image titles. Obviously Saga, but also Black Science, Birthright, and a little bit of Rat Queens.

Ooooh yes! This makes me really excited for the new show. I adapted the Midwives (witch guardians with upside down heads) as villains for my DW campaign.

You should absolutely check out Enki Bilal. I’m not sure if any of his stuff is translated in english but it’s absolutely amazing, definitely my favorite artist.

For myself I’ve finished Irredeemable (it’s the story of a super hero turning super villain and it’s incredible) and going to start Incorruptible. Also currently reading through all the comic marvel stuff and currently in the War of Kings arc, it’s a pretty fun read.

I have a bunch of comic books of his, probably most of them actually. It was my interest on his work that lead me to Moebius, the bridge being Jodorowsky, if I’m not misremembering, because they both worked with him.

I didn’t really read comics until about 2 to 3 weeks ago, I have always seen them in the book store and such but there was so many it just deterred me from picking one up. But since DC Rebirth and wanting to do some reading I decided to jump right into those, and since have been really enjoying reading them, not all but most of the DC Rebirth comics.

I should say though trying to know each story line from the New 52 to Rebirth is hard, but I read what I needed to via a guide to DC Rebirth.

Let’s not forget that H. R. Giger also worked with Jororowsky and that lead to Giger and Moebius worked together on Alien :itmejphappy:

Jodorowsky/Moebius fans (or those convinced by the recommendations above) might like to know that there’s a Jodorowsky sale on Comixology right now.

And so as not to seem like just a shill, here are a few recommendations:

The Marquis - Amazing artwork by Guy Davis, who also wrote it. It’s a supernatural story that follows a possibly mad demon hunter through an alternate history (or perhaps just entirely fictional) 18th century France. Plenty of Cronenbergs/Lumpkins to be found here.

Pretty Deadly - Artist Emma Rios and colorist Jordie Bellaire really sell (for me) this weird tale in the Old West written by Kelly Sue DeConnick (creator of Bitch Planet.) More myth than magical realism. More mysterious female bad-asses than grisly, bearded gunslingers. I’m still catching up on the second TPB.

Polar: Came From the Cold - Somewhat superficial pulp spy fiction, but some of the best composition I’ve ever seen in a comic book; so much so that I’d recommend it on that alone.

2 Likes

My pull list is pretty heavy, and is leaning a lot more on the creator owned stuff from Image these days.

Deadly Class
Black Science
Chew
Injection
Lazarus
Descender
Kill or Be Killed
Jupiter’s Legacy
Shutter
Southern Bastards
Revival
Autumnlands

Batman
Nightwing
All-Star Batman
Detective Comics
Trinity
Superman
Green Arrow

Black Widow
Power Man & Iron Fist
Rocket Raccoon & Groot
Star Wars
Mighty Thor

My favorite books to read month-to-month are currently Lazarus, Black Science, Descender, and Nightwing. Each of them brings me a different type of joy when I get to them in my stack.

1 Like

I really liked Vol 1 New 52’s Aquaman. It went a bit downhill for me in Vol 2 so I put the rest of the books on hold, but I still love Aquaman and Mera.

When I saw how film Mera is going to be costumed I felt like it was too dark/dull

https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/IL34L.LKeYftEq.POzdGtg--/aD0zNDM7cT04NTt3PTYwMDtzbT0xO2FwcGlkPXl0YWNoeW9u/https://media.zenfs.com/creatr-images/GLB/2016-10-12/7a673700-90af-11e6-9eda-3b949691b88d_Mera-CROP.jpg

It would be great is the WB/DC costume department would divert a little from this dark tone a bit. At the very least they could say that Atlantis is prosperous and strong so gold and the colors are brighter. Even if just as a contrast to the surface dwellers dark tones.

edit: if this is off topic I will move it out of this thread.

1 Like

I liked new 52 WW too even though they changed some of her origin. Still have not finished the series.

reminds me that (for DC) I need to pick up more of Gotham Academy and start Grayson at some point.

There was nothing that I didn’t enjoy about the New 52 Wonder Woman. The crazy/bizarre re-imagined Gods and Goddesses, the interesting take on her origin, and [spoiler]making her the God of War.[/spoiler]

After Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang left, the book went back to the same old cheesecake and bullshit, which was super disappointing.

I’ve read some of the new Greg Rucka run, but the bouncing between two timelines every other issues made me lose interest real fast. Well, that and the fact that I don’t like the Cheetah as her “nemesis” at all.

Has anyone read the Grant Morrison Earth-2 take on her?

1 Like

Morrison’s take is basically just a modern revision of her Golden Age stuff. Pink healing laser beams, lots of bondage talk, and her whole Trevor/US intro into man’s world.

I have a few authors where I can buy a graphical novel on name alone: Neil Gaiman, Garth Ennis and Warren Ellis. Another safe bet is Mike Carey.
When it comes to a label a large part of my collection (552 tp or hardcover books atm) is from Vertigo, so if I where to buy a book blind only knowing the label, that should be a safe bet for me.

Some good series:

• The Sandman
  • Lucifer
  • Preacher
  • The Walking Dead, to a point. started to loose interest around issue #100. To much of getting to a new area, deal with stuff there for a while, when that started to get stale, move to a new area, rinse and repeat. Hardcore book 10 i still unread.
  • The Boys
  • Garth Ennis’s The Punisher
  • Fables and spin off series
  • Battlefields
  • Chronicles Of Wormwood
  • Hellblazer
  • Northlanders
  • Saga
  • The Unwritten
  • Transmetropolitan
  • Crossed, it’s well written, but too often it feels like it’s extreme just to be extreme. So I enjoyed the “Wish You Were Here” series a lot more.

Good stand alone:

• We3
  • Joe The Barbarian
  • Daytripper
2 Likes

I’m usually not a big fan of Superman, but I really enjoyed where Max Landis’s takes Clark Kent in his recent “American Alien” run. I’d say it’s more character-driven, basically a re-imagined origin-story that shows seven stages of Clark turning into Superman, but for once, it’s handled very well.

1 Like