itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[E91 // Court of Swords // Q&A] The Caravan Ambush

I am thinking that maybe the Fear spell has an effective range within which the target flees the one who casted it, and outside it, he doesn’t have to flee anymore though he still can’t move closer.

According to the Fear spell: “If the creature ends its turn in a location where it doesn’t have line of sight to you, the creature can make a Wisdom saving throw. On a successful save, the spell ends for that creature.”

Yeah, but if you fail the save, you are Frightened. While frightened, you must use your action to take the Dash action. If you no longer have line of sight, then you can make the save again to remove the Frightened condition.

So, I understand that not having LoS allows for the save to take place, but until the save is made, the creature is still Frightened. And when Frightened, all it can do is GTFO (ie take the Dash action)

Anyways, it was a great show. I didn’t want to nitpick. Just sad to see Jidara go, so was curious about the spell application.

1 Like

it depends entirely on your interpretation of the spell, bcoz you could lawyer it so that the gladiator would trigger a save right after the first round he ran, bcoz technically kalimat wasnt in his line of sight as he was behind the gladiator unless ofc he had eyes in the back of the head.

I’m loving Deadpool Yoji, lately! :joy:

Edit: Noooo, Jadara! :frowning:

Edit 2: NOOOO KALI LOL

A really creative and interesting combat, I can’t wait to see where this cliffhanger leads next. Hard luck for Dan but from what Adam hinted on show, maybe Jedarra is not done yet? I guess it depends on what crazy being we’ve unleashed this time. Next episode is gonna be a long wait but worth it.

Really interesting as always. After mentioning how the target had some sort of regeneration and taking into account they mentioned at the cult they didn’t have the supplies to resurrect anyone currently I’m betting the target had something to do with that and for some reason the Page doesn’t want the cult bringing their members back to life anymore.

Also @AdamKoebel because Yoji kept shooting when Jadara was held above the champions head was the champion going to “Bane” backbreak and kill her on his next turn anyway even if Yoji hadn’t rolled a 1? I know Zeke mentioned a few times he just needed one more turn to bring her back but unless his plan was to shove the healing potion in her mouth while still being held above the champion she would have died anyway since she already had two failed death saves.

All the characterization and plot development leading up to this episode has made sense but I cannot fathom why Yogie would consider killing Kalimat. Why would Yogie want their target to stay alive?
I understand that we can’t know the Page’s motives for requesting this death at this time but it doesn’t seem like Yogie should have a stake in keeping the target alive. Did I miss something? Did the queen ask for anyone to be spared?

Their mission as given to them by the Knight (and presumably backed by the Queen) was to intercept the caravan, capture the target alive (the target being the girl), and kill everyone else.

Also I think the reason Yoji was thinking about killing Kalimat was because of the dagger, which apparently holds some significance to Yoji and/or the cult. He wants it but not enough to kill Kalimat to take it… at least not yet. Maybe that will change when he realizes what Kali has done, but I suspect they’re about to have much larger, more immediate problems.

2 Likes

Thanks, I didn’t realize their original mission was to capture someone and I suppose that makes sense.

I hear what you’re saying, but I’m not asking wondering about whether or not the NPC gets a save. As I see it, Kali moved around the wagon and broke LoS. The Gladiator should be able to roll his save.

What I found odd was that how I understand the spell, until you make the save, you have the frightened condition and must you the dash action and move (i.e. double move) away from the source. This still happens regardless if LoS is broken or not. LoS only triggers whether or not the NPC can make a save. The Frightened condition in combo with the spell dictates that they must use their action and movement to GTFO.

What had happened was that after LoS was broken, the Gladiator continued to try to make his saved, and failed for a few rounds, thus still under the spells effect. Because he wasn’t running away at full speed, he was able to quickly return into melee with Dan’s character, contributing in his death. Had he been running 60 feet each of those other 3 rounds, it would have taken 3 more rounds for him to get back into melee (he had to drop his spear and shield, so melee with fists was the only option), at which time JP would have sniped him down. And the crit fail miss would not have been on a target 60 feet away from Jidara.

Just to underscore how totally, utterly screwed they are:

1. Mission failed to bring back the girl / secret sidequest failed depending on if she revives.

2. Jedara (the cult favourite) is dead. We also know the cult has lost its powers for revival. This mission was probably intended to address that issue.

3. Shadrik, whom Yoji vouched for, has escaped with knowledge of the cult.

4. The forest is against them and Shadrik is adding to that problem. How will they travel without a fight or take a long rest?

5. Kali is blind and will need Yoji to guide him through the (hostile) forest.

6. With only two party members, one being blind, they surely couldn’t bring back the bodies of the girl and Jedara even if there was any hope of the cult taking them back?

I honestly think that in terms of the setting, their choices and situation, they are doomed. At least I can’t see any way for Kali to get out alive/intact. Yoji could maybe abandon him and disappear in fear of the cults reprisals.

*edit - The Cult really needs a name. Cults don’t call themselves Cults :wink:

5 Likes

I suspect the things that were summoned when Kali communed with the Bell are what was needed for the ritual so maybe 2 isn’t a problem anymore.

Hm someone ever wondered if the Cult are somehow connected to the Red Scarlet Banner Company? The people digging in the ruins before Morgans arc.

They don’t seem interested in commerce, so I doubt it.

In ten episodes Zeke will have been on more episodes than he hasn’t. :open_mouth:

What I found odd was that how I understand the spell, until you make the save, you have the frightened condition and must you the dash action and move (i.e. double move) away from the source. This still happens regardless if LoS is broken or not. LoS only triggers whether or not the NPC can make a save. The Frightened condition in combo with the spell dictates that they must use their action and movement to GTFO.

Pretty positive that this is correct. But, mistakes happen, Kali’s just got a doper fear to look forward to in the future.

Agreed with SirKillsalot101, Yoji and Kali seem suuuuper screwed haha. Maybe it’s time to just bail and go try to find Berg/Ramus? Not sure if Yoji would ever abandon the cult though, and I would understand if Kali is too tempted by this offer to get his eyes back in return for watching the cult.

What a great episode can’t wait for the next one. How would one implement critical effects into 5e similar to the effects to d&d 2.5 had and would you use them in CoS Adam or rather how you feel about that ?

The words you used to give Kali his mission were “she will ask for mercy, don’t give it to her”, right? Given that she was asking for the knife, does that mean he gave her mercy by “killing” her?

2 Likes

I just thought I’d stop by and say, hot damn this is a great show. You guys rock it every single week.

3 Likes