itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[E36 Q&A] you have built the tower in whose shadow you now stand

The brass is like, weird magical stuff that collects on the bones of the city! Probably also literal pipes and stuff too.

4 Likes

this is a maaaaaaaaaaagnificent compliment thank you so much

4 Likes

I really love how all three players have embraced the philosophy of the tower in their own way. Was there much talk off-screen about the Tower as the focus for this season and what it means, or are you all just rolling with it?

I imagine the intro for season 3 of court of sword is the shadow of the tower falling over the city of brass, and then crashing down,

3 Likes

Almost none at all which is so cool.

3 Likes

The glower of Tower

It’s a thing…

1 Like

Above a city of brass, two angels watch the madness unfold, they stare down into the dark abyss of this city into the hearts of three lost souls and the crumbling ruins of this great city, The first angel turns and says
“Here is proof that darkness will swallow men, that all that men build in their hearts and stone cannot endure their own suffering” The second angel waits and watches, staring past the three lost souls. He sees something tiny, almost out of reach, A young woman with a brush in hand, slowly and delicately she paints, and where the ruin once stood new life comes. The angel turns and says.
“It takes but one voice of strength to push the tower away no matter its hieght , and show the stars beyond”
With that, the angel turns away from the abyss and returns to the heavenly fountain. The first watches in wonder, a painting of a wrench and of the hope of people, prehapes the star will rise.

1 Like

Gotta say I’m rather liking Enoch thus far. When JP said he was going to use the Higgs voice I was just expecting another Higgs, which would have been fine; I like the character, but this is far more intresting to me. Enoch feels like a good foil to Ramus which I think is important. It’ll be cool to see if Enoch can help Berg see the star and in doing so can find it himself.
So yes, I’m loving the new setting and I’m excited to see how the party dynamic changes going forward. It’ll be fun to see what the party does about the halfling revolution since I can imagine them going either way, I guess we’ll have to wait and see if they listen to their fortune or not.

1 Like

I get the feeling the running theme song of this crew will be something like “Everything Dies” by Type O Negative.

So… if I tap that city of brass… do I take 1 damage? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

So I was questioning JPs use of sharpshooter during the episode so I decided to run the statistics because I thought he should be using it less. I was wrong. With a +8 to hit he does more damage over the long run using sharpshooter as long as the enemy has less than 21 AC. So unless the enemy is very low on health he should be taking the -5, +10 every time. None of this takes superiority die into effect.

On the topic of superiority die. I hope he took trip attack. It helps berg out so much and Enoch will get advantage as well as long as he is within 5 feet of the prone enemy because he has crossbow expert. None of this is especially relevant just thought I would share. Great show as always and I’m super interested in how this sprawling city is going to play out.

2 Likes

So gooooood. I can’t wait for next week.

That’s a key point that’s easy to forget actually. If you’re prone, ranged attacks only get disadvantage if further than 5 feet. I totally forgot about that. I thought it was weird that Ramus had the opportunity to miss with that point blank scorching ray on a downed target. Specific quote on page 292 for reference “An attack roll against the creature has advantage if the attacker is within 5 feet of the creature. Otherwise, the attack roll has disadvantage.” Melee vs ranged actually isn’t specified at all, so a polearm with reach would still have disadvantage at 10 feet.

1 Like

When JP (Enoch) rolled for this house, and Adam saying “Cused AF” all I can think of is " You remember our venerable house, opulent and imperial, it is a festering abomination. I beg you, return home, claim your birthright and deliver our family from the ravenous clutching shadows of the Darkest Dungeon."

8 Likes

Success so clearly in view… or is it merely a trick of the light?

5 Likes

Yes for scorching ray i think it should have been disadvantage for range attack in melee and advantage for all attack rolls against an unconscious enemy. resulting in a normal roll.

Funny you mentioned polearm because that’s what made the rule stick in my head. A polearm master fighter can mess himself up with trip attack if he forgets to move up 5 feet after knocking them prone.

I can’t remember if he had other people threatening him, but from page 195 on ranged attacks(this is as much for my own edification as anyone elses) “Aiming a ranged attack is more difficult when a foe is next to you. When you make a ranged attack with a weapon, a spell, or some other means, you have disadvantage on the attack roll if you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature who can see you and who isn’t incapacitated.” In this case, unless someone else was threatening him, he’d have advantage. Although interestingly, reading this means that if anyone is threatening you within 5 feet, it doesn’t matter who you attack with a ranged weapon, you should have disadvantage. Except crossbow expert, obv.

A blind monk sits in the desert.
He tilts his head a bit.
‘An interesting swing of the brush. Do you think she can hold on to the light of the Moon? You can see the Tower’s trio stepping closer to her easel, can you not?’
The shadow next to him shivers a bit in an attempt to show shrugging shoulders.
A hollow voice from somewhere completely different yet right next to the blind monk answers: ‘If she’s quick enough, she and her kin might just make it out. He is crumbling, but the City of Brass had a lot fall into its lap over time.
But if the little ones are not careful, not only the three henchmen will collide.’
The monk tilts his head to the other side.
‘The Sun is out, it’s time for shadows to shine,’ he says, ‘will you do me this last favor?’
The monk nods, as his shadow disappears.

Under the City of Brass stone is moving, light seeps through cracks, a shadow finds his new bearer and an old elemental awakes.

1 Like

i believe he did not take trip attack as while yes this would help the other two it would hurt him as prone enemies have partial cover to ranged attacks

I’m loving the new atmosphere and the decidedly negative mood that’s going on here. So far Season 3 is everything I wanted it to be.

So I don’t know if it was done on purpose, but the City of Brass gave me a distinct Ba Sing Se feel a la Avatar: The Last Airbender, from the multiple walls to the out-of-time train system. Did you take any inspiration from that? Or was that just your brilliant self doing what you do best? =P

That’s actually not true, as we were discussing earlier. Since he’s got crossbow expert, he’d be fine, he’d just need to be within 5 feet. So he could trip someone at melee range, and then get advantage on shooting them. or at least still be neutral.