itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[E34 Q&A] The Splish Splash Club

welcome to the caves. they’re very nice. high property value.

8 Likes

I love fire ray shooting, bickering, floating head couple more than anything

2 Likes

Fanart repost!

11 Likes

The damned ghost was worse than:

1 The wyvern

2 The manticore

3 The Rock Gnome King

I was sure it was a party wipe when it possesed Azriel.

4 Likes

Ghosts are very similar to Shades in that they are much, much more dangerous than their CR implies. Their mechanic, if successful, is one of the few pure “save or basically die” abilities in the game – if you don’t save you’re necessarily getting dropped to 0 HP. Two ghosts can annihilate a high level party if they target the right characters and there’s no quick solution in the initiative order (Crit role fans might remember something similar).

It’s a lot more mitigated in a bigger party. Not too hard to smack down one of your allies and then take it out. But with just a 3man party, removing 1/3rd of your efficacy is nasty. JP played that fight really well to win it.

5 Likes

Adam, quick question in regards to The Tower. Is that only death & destruction or would it also be the symbol for swift strikes, full resolve, etc?

3 Likes

Strictly speaking the ghost would only have one attack and that without proficiency.

Adam made the possession of any martial class hugely more dangerous here.

Also, JP could have hit Berg much earlier with any of the save for half damage spells from the tempest domain.
The chance to get him down was quite good.

Turn undead with a 15dc was also on the table. That in the first round could have already driven the ghost out.

7 Likes

idk if I’m just imagining it, or if you are conditioning me, but every time a Genassi shows up I’m like “here comes trouble”. Am I just imagining things?

5 Likes

Yeah CR is such a ball park figure. My fave case is the Revenant. An unkillable party stomping relentless hunter which can only be defeated by running for a year or using a wish spell. Yeah… CR 5…

1 Like

They’re hardly unkillable, but that’s not the point. The point is that they will continue to hound the party until the PCs ultimately take care of this problem. Its a Threat/Front/Faction/whatever terminology you want to use that the PCs can’t simply murderhobo their way past, because that’s how they got there in the first place.

Great episode, so much fun. The Flameskulls were great! I hope the Patreon video goes up soon.

That’s very true. Extra attack and Frenzy are both class features, so he really should be doing one attack a round. That’s why say, a wizard, doesn’t get 2 attacks at level 5.

Edit: it would also make sense to drop the rage that way too, cause thematically, it’s berg’s mind raging, it’s not a special effect of his body causing him to resist damage.

4 Likes

The Tower presides over all forms of disaster - the individuals who follow in its shadow can vary - some are harbingers of destruction, others cleanse the world for what is to come, some seek to prevent calamity.

1 Like

Adam, is the Tower dagger a magic item? If so, could it’s magical properties be identified over a short rest?

Another lovly episode. The two skulls… dear god that was so funny.

If they manage to kill the Water elemental I have a few questions.

1. Will the water calm down?

2. There is a torrent in the water, is that because of the Water elemental. Or do these torrents lead to other caves? Would they need to do some underwater spelunking to really explore all there is?

3. If the water calms down, would it be possible to find a particular corpse that JP talked about?

2 Likes

In Court of Swords, does the Tower still hold onto that “but there is light at the end of the tunnel” aspect, or does it strictly hold to the times of calamitous change?

2 Likes

Just listened to the episode on my ride home :stuck_out_tongue:
Did you end up rolling the D6 for the possession recharge? If so, sorry I missed it!
I think the rage staying though is fine considering IRL rages were fueled by brain AND hormones.

Looking at ghosts though, What do you think of Horrifying Visage? Spoopin people is fairly standard but aging them all 10xD4 Years seems ridiculous (Also the roll20 compendium has a typo of 10_D4)

2 Likes

This question has probably already been asked before, but are you using any of the Unearthed Arcana stuff that WotC puts out (like the revised Ranger), and if a player in the future wants to play a subclass from UA, would you allow it?

I would like a poster and shirt with the floating heads (with bonus quote) please and thank you. :stuck_out_tongue:
Love you Adam! :hearts:

1 Like