itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[E31 Q&A] Paint it Black

I see a red berg and I want to paint him black
no hp anymore i want them to turn black

7 Likes

If JP had gotten the belt would his beard have been made of feathers?

8 Likes

Doesn’t Berg speak Dwarven? I thought his slave masters taught him?

2 Likes

heh probably yes. that’s a great image.

4 Likes

i think he might speak it, yep

3 Likes

Two things:
I find it ironic that Berg was a throwaway character to replace Wester, and is now immortal. The irony is in that chat had initially nicknamed him “Easter”.

Also, it might just be wishful thinking, but this black serpent god is the second thing that seems familiar to a certain 5e world (the other being a strange Russian accent). Are you trying to tell us something, Adam?

4 Likes

I must admit, I’m more than a bit disappointed that the dragon didn’t get to keep her dead Berg. Heartbroken, really.

1 Like

The snake has a name and a mythology but bad religion checks prevented me from spouting any of it. I’m sure we’ll see more of this particular serpent…

NSFW [spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/muhzkQs.png [/spoiler]

12 Likes

That was merciful @AdamKoebel could’ve 5 foot stepped around berg and acided both Azzy and Berg

1 Like

I’m SURE it’s all a coincidence. Just like it’ll be a coincidence if they ever find some forgotten tomb housing some fallen warlord buried with a greatsword carved entirely out of a single piece of bone. :itmejphappy:

I mean, Dan’s clearly jonesing for a magic weapon of his own, right?

5 Likes

If Berg really does speak Dwarvish, Jubilant could wear the belt and have Berg understand/translate for the rest of the group, lol.

2 Likes

It’d be interesting if they let Jubilant wear it in towns so he could input in the conversation, but swapped it onto Azriel when they go out to adventure for that sweet +5 hp and poison resistance.

1 Like

LIEF THESE ARE GREAT

4 Likes

@AdamKoebel Are you still planning on streaming the CoS GM turn for the next arc?

1 Like

yeah, i’ll do my prep!

4 Likes

@AdamKoebel due to the nature of Morgan’s arc having to end with this episode, was the first encounter ‘scripted’ so to speak? That many dire wolves getting a surprise round was devastating, and would be even for a party of a higher level.

EDIT: Actually follow-up question, if the answer to the above is yes, I’d love to hear your thoughts on ‘railroaded’ sessions given the limitations of CoS being a show in addition to a normal campaign.

2 Likes

Team just needs to get Alert on everyone. :itmejphappy:

I think it’s just a slight matter of being an underlevelled arcane caster in a scenario where surprise attacks are an option. If the wolves rolled low that fight would’ve been a cakewalk.

Having a D6 hit die, below average AC, not having a cool super power (Berg’s healing, Jubilant’s flying), and being out in the open got the caster killed. That’s what happens to casters in general. In the boss fight at the end she was untouchable because spell range and maneuverability is OP.

A realistic solution would be the cast just expressly saying that they form up such that the caster is flanked on every which side by the others. That’s generally how you keep your OP casters alive in every D&D edition. Delta Formation!

1 Like

I mean, surprise rounds are always incredibly swingy at lower levels. It wasn’t exactly hard to start killing the wolves once people could act and, like most pack hunters do, they bailed once they realized they picked the wrong kind of fight.

I don’t think the episode’s narrative needed a death there for it to work, but having seen it play out like it did I’m not exactly unhappy that snek lady was digested for our sins.

Man this Valley is going to get really crazy soon. Elven invaders spreading weird bug things, a gnomish kingdom rising from the ashes, ancient beings trapped underground, possibly by the Mara, and now a Snake God has risen too. All we need now is the Necromancer King to reach the Valley and this game goes full West Marches!

One thing I’m curious about is what whether or not Berg would have started turning Snake-like if his Necromantic powers had killed the snake (or if he might turn snake like anyway from absorbing that monsters life force. I mean, if the leaking power turned wolves and humans into snake-like abominations, whose to say that wouldn’t or couldn’t happen to a half orc that absorbed a ton of that power? Really sad that didn’t happen.

4 Likes