itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[E30 Q&A] This is Our Town

pffft, you’re just hoping for the TPK on lucky level 7 aren’t you? :itmejpgm::itmejprekt:

Real talk though, every time I watch CoS I’m reminded it’s one of the best instances I’ve come across of “how to tactics: rando goons edition.”

stick and move, stick and move. you just gotta keep that barb at range. honestly, i think terrain has been my best friend during tactical situations. in this episode you could see Max realize i was gonna use it to screw him.

3 Likes

Sounds good. Got a little 3->2->3 pattern going on!

1 Like

that’s a good call, actually - i should make 10 the next one.

1 Like

Heya @AdamKoebel, a small rules clarification (which did not impact the session this time).

As the fight was winding down, GassyMexican said something to the effect of “Could I make a double move and attack?” To which you replied “No, you can’t”, which would be correct in most situations as a Dash takes up an Action. But in this case, Berg could have done it - with the Bonus attack from Frenzy, in PHB pg.49 “…you can make a single melee weapon attack as a bonus action on each of your turns after this one.” - there is nothing mentioned that he has to use his Action to attack as well to trigger the ability. So for future reference, he can use his Action to Dodge/Disengage/Dash/Hide and his Bonus action to make a single attack when Frenzied.

8 Likes

I was wondering if a past guest returns to the show, and their old character is below the current level checkpoint. Do they get boosted to that checkpoint?

Side note: Miss you Chuckles! :itmejps: :elephant:

So @AdamKoebel did you specifically choose to name the temple ‘Naja atra’ after the chinese cobra? Or did you choose the name at random and it happened to line up with the latin name by coincidence? I think I’ve seen enough of your DM’ing to know you don’t do coincidences like that very often.

PS: absolutely loving the reptile-focused part of the story arc, this stuff is totally my jam and it’s nice to see some snake content that isn’t just “look how dark and mysterious this reptile is”

Ah, I see through you Adam,
[spoiler]getting your revenge on ravines.[/spoiler]

I hope not, I want Berg to stay until high levels.

I mean, how else are you gonna kill the necromancer king without a vampire lord?

1 Like

I think you know the answer to this u sneaky snek

1 Like

just gotta be sure of these things, don’t be afraid to drop me a line if you need any reptile info to flesh out the world a bit. Can’t wait to see how this arc concludes!

Can’t remember if it was in the episode or the patreon video, but you mentioned Chuckles was worth 17k, maybe a lot more in the Court of Swords.

My question is if we turned back the pendulum and went back to when they first got to town, if they had tried to get an appraisal on Chuckles, how would you have handled that? I’m guessing that you probably would have made it so the price offered varied based on who they asked to appraise the figurine, but I’m curious if you’d have actually given them the full market value, or had some scummy merchant try to buy it for like 5k, and rely on an insight roll or something to realise the man was cheating them.

Regardless, I hope they’re a bit more careful with magic items in the future.

1 Like

They didn’ save private chuckles! :frowning:

1 Like

Yet!, Didnt save chuckles yet! :itmejps:

It’s highly unlikely they’ll ever find chuckles now… unless Adam wills it.

1 Like

Hey Adam ! Quick question, how do you come up with the prices for the items / stuff that the players find during the sessions ?
Is it written anywhere that chuckles is worth the amount you have chosen ? Or you decided that on your own?

Having a bit of trouble in my own game on that matter. Cheers !

PG. 135 of the DMG has recommended prices based on the rarity of the magic item. Your world may have magic items more common or rarer though adjusting the value.

1 Like

Yes same things with the enchantment cost.
Common are supposedly 100 gold but since all uncommon are one use, they are 50% off so 50g using the ERRATA rules.
Uncommon are in the 500 gold range.
A Rare item (the rarity of most statuettes including the elephant) is around 5 000 gold.
Very Rare are in the 50 000 gold range and legendary cost half a million gold to enchant but the reselling magic items rules exclude them.
Note the cost based on rarity is pretty stupid because some rarer items are effectively worse than some uncommon ones (being rarer “evil” version of good items like the evil bag of holding that eat your stuff or being one level higher in rarity despite doing the same thing as another item).
Also note that there is no magic economy rules in the manuals, it’s 100% gm fiat.