itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[E28 Q&A] Owl Be Back

Hollow bones?

Birds are really light compared to their size…

:thinking:

Really nice episode! Finally was able to stay awake to watch the episode live. On top of that Morgan seems to be an excellent fit for the show!

As the wyvern fight went as expected, @AdamKoebel do you have any tips for single monsters that could give hard time for players in an open ground battle? 5ed is the first edition of dnd for me (well i have tried 3.5 and 4 for one session each) and i really don’t know much about the monsters outside of the DMG. I have found out that resistances, AoE damage and crowd control (such as AoE fear) are good tools to get the players blood pumping, but i kinda find it lame for something to initiate a fight from a bush with a Fireball that drops half of the party. Would be nice to use something that is already out there instead of brewing my own creations to get challenge.

But not all birds have hollow bones, or even just hollow bones.

For example, penguins have solid bones. Ostriches have solid bones in their legs, but the rest are mostly hollow.

As a flightless bird with a humanoid shape, I would speculate that kenku have solid bones so that way they have the body strength to even wear armor, or pick up heavy weapons.

So while Jubilant Black Gale might be a buck fifty soaking wet and light for an animal his size, he’d still be able to carry his equipment with breaking himself.

3 Likes

For those who are questioning Kenku base weight, in Volo’s Guide it says:

"Size. Kenku are around 5 feet tall and weigh between 90 and 120 pounds. Your size is Medium. "

So even at the lower-end of 90 lbs, that plus his gear alone (150 lbs according to Adams response above) would put him at 240 lbs MINIMUM.

2 Likes

Thx again for another amazing episode. Berg goes down again again… but dosent die. Berg has become my favorite and every time this happens im scared.

As a DM I don’t like to always limit combat to “fight this hard monster”. Create scenarios that make combat more challenging by having certain tasks/obstacles in the way that the party must consider while fighting. A monster could be easy 1 on 1 but not if there’s something else putting pressure on the party such as the enemy being on high ground out of reach, or beyond a gaping hole in the ground (like a canyon/collapsed ground), or the party having to activate certain “switches” to enable the enemy to be attacked easier or stop a ritual, etc, or avoiding certain environmental effects.

Most of the time I like the classic party vs big bad but sometimes it’s fun to say “Oh those pillars in the room you’re fighting in? The big bad just slammed into one and now all of you have to make DEX saves to avoid it smooshing you.” Conversely the party could try to use the pillars as a weapon against the boss in the same fashion. Interesting environments and situations can make for interesting but challenging combat!

Just my 2 cents :slight_smile:

It is indeed 3 sessions.

1 Like

Great session as always. I was listening to the episode while working on something else and when I heard JP say “I’m dead dead” I got nervous and thought he was killed out right.

Which is a pretty short amount of time for a CoS story arc. If they stick with this guest timing I suspect we’re going to see the pacing pick up quite a bit.

2 Likes

Me neither, but sometimes it would be cool to have epic battles with one monster. :stuck_out_tongue: Just had my players fight against few waves of oozes and then a gibbering mouther (well not exactly but close) dropped from the ceiling cracks and everyone started failing their wisdom saves like it was Black Friday.

I like to have memorable moments. I would like to have a “Hard boss” moment instead of only “Hard boss that was in the room with falling ceiling” or “Hard boss that had those pesky adds with him” etc. For me the feeling isn’t the same. Might be that for me this need for single mob battles come from computer games, but it’s an itch that i haven’t been able to scratch in 5ed just yet.

I think the current pacing is only contingent on the “hard out” of Morgan, or of the guest in general. I imagine Geoff would of been on as long as it took (if he didn’t die) for his arc to complete, just like it did with Day9’s. I imagine the change in pacing be will be more or less permanent as they increase in power/renown (assuming they don’t die) than anything else.

Well JP isn’t going to just kick Day9 off because “You’re one and done, thanks for playing” for a multitude of reasons, and again, while Geoff’s character died, he had an arc. Even from what he said on a post-show video, Geoff always planned on his character “losing it” and dying. If Geoff’s character died in the first session (maybe even second), he probably would of been allowed to make another character.

2 Likes

Sean was already scheduled to be on the live show which was like 2 episodes in the future so it makes sense he got to make a new character immediately.

1 Like

They’ve only had two guests. That’s hardly enough room to begin forming a pattern. “Consistency” wouldn’t begin until after #4, and that’s if you’re impatient. An actual pattern wouldn’t exist until 5 or 6.

What does Adam use to generate random loot and how did Dan use that way point movement?

Donjon is by far the most popular site for generators. Here’s the link to the treasure generator, I think he uses this cause last game he was saying “individual treasure…CR…” when generating it which are the options for donjon.

To use waypoint movement you have to press space while moving your token on whatever square you want as a waypoint, so when your token is “hovering” press space over a square, continue dragging token, press space on next square, repeat until you reach your destination where you drop the token. Pressing space after that while the token is selected will show the last movement of that token.

Awesome! Thank you for showing me this. This will make movement so much easier and the Random loot table will be great so i’m fumbling for loot or spending hours coming up with possible loot.

1 Like

Adam, I remember them getting quest XP way back from the first quest they actually completed, regarding the grave and evidence recovery. Will they be getting quest XP from the grasping hands quest they just completed, or did I just miss it?

Sry this wasnt supposed to be a reply to you. Kinda confusing.

When they complete the arc, there’ll be a reward. They’re not done yet!

1 Like