itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[E26 Q&A] I Was Gonna Make an Attack of Opportunity But Then I Got High

This pretty much sums up the last 15~ minutes, and tone that should be set for the next show.

https://youtu.be/Ms_WY0s_1XM?t=32s

2 Likes

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but shouldn’t all the Scout-shots in the beginning of the engagement been at disadvantage as they were firing into the meele between the PCs and the Guard-Drakes or does that rule only apply to PCs?

“RANGED ATTACKS IN CLOSE COMBAT Aiming a ranged attack is more difficult when a foe is next to you. When you make a ranged atlack with a weapon, a spell, or some other means, you have disadvantage on the attack roll ifyou are within 5 feet of a hostil e creature who can see you and who isn’t incapacitated.” PHB p195 :itmejpgmref:

This is the only rule about Shooting and Melee, I don’t think there is disadvantage when you shoot a creature engaged in melee combat with another creature. Unless you there is an optional rule about that.

I like that the player’s spent some time actively talking about things in and out of combat today, even if at times it makes things harder than they need to be or just confusing. Especially if it makes things more complicated. c:

The only thing I’m really curious about in terms of how @AdamKoebel has been building this world is if lizard people are a product of some manipulation with drakes or dragons (or Mara influence) or are strictly an independent species. The mini-drake guard dogs were drakes?

And their alliance with these humans. And why they’re using a temple that people around are having visions of snakes. And are the visions from the drugs a result of the area? Or that the mushrooms the drugs come from come from the temple? I do love how much goes into the atmosphere and building in this world. It does feel in some ways still very much like snapshots without a central tie in, but…so is the actual world? It’s lovely; I’d be lucky to be half as good some day. I’m rambling.

Also that corner was a wonderful way for the party to have an encounter to soften them up without straight putting them into a meat grinder. I was wondering how they were going to start enacting encounters that weren’t just “you need to make saves because your AC is too high”.

On that note there are also two things I don’t know if anyone has answers to:

1. Does Dan have a delay or penalty to swap from his shield to sword? Or is he basically using both but just not getting the AC advantage when he’s actively attacking? Or has there not been one because he’s been wonderful about not trying to pick up his shield when he does the dodge action? Today when he walked with the shield then got into melee range than swapped to his sword I was curious about how mechanically it works. Narratively it makes perfect sense that he’d walk up with his shield then drop it and take out his sword when he got into melee.

2. If a player goes down and want to get back up: they have to have a medicine check or spell to stabilize them and then get any healing above 1., OR be healed for the full deficit incurred from the damage they take. Or, do they have to receive a successful medicine check and be stabilzed (or spell to stabilize) or just get any healing at all? I feel like we’ve beeing doing the second option so far and I wasn’t sure if that was correct and/or bottlenecking difficulty at all. So far we haven’t had the party ever have to have someone stand over someone dodging while another person did a medicine check or anything like that.

If either of those have been answered I apologize.
I wrote an essay again.

1 Like

I think I can answer 2 for you. The relevant section is pg 197 in the PHB incase you wanted to look for yourself. Under the Instant Death section the PHB states:

Massive damage can kill you instantly. When damage reduces you to 0 hit points and there is damage remaining, you die if the remaining damage equals or exceeds your hit point maximum.

If the PC is not instantly killed they fall unconscious to 0 HP and must make death saving throws. If the character is healed any amount they regain consciousness. If they are stabilized (medicine check, healer’s kit, etc) they regain 1HP in 1d4 hours and no longer need to make death saving throws, unless they take damage again. So, I think to answer your question, you don’t have to worry about negative HP unless except for being instantly killed, any other amount and they’re put at 0HP.

Right. The part I missed in 5e is that there isn’t an actual tracker for your negative HP; it’s just set at zero, unless a specific SINGLE hit takes you to more than your maximum. Thank you for that.

1. Swapping between shield and 2h sword is fine. You have one free item interaction per turn. Going by the rules of 5e equipping a shield should takes 1 action to don or doff. (See Pg 146 of the PHB) Adam is just more lenient he considers discarding the shield as a free action.

2. Stabilizing someone can be done with a DC 10 Medicine check, a Healer’s Kit, the Spare the Dying cantrip or with a healing spell or ability. Any creature who gains HP, such as by a healing spell, Lay on Hands, or who is administered a potion of healing instantly regains consciousness.
    This unconsciousness ends if you regain any hit points
    From PHB, (p197), Falling unconscious

A healers kit costs so little that if you don’t have one you’re basically playing sub-optimally because it lets you automatically succeed that medicine check.

1 Like

Seriously. This game. Aiding another player gives them advantage. The math ends up in saying it’s basically a +5 to their roll. Please make use of it more.

1 Like

omg! I just finished the episode and im so close to a heart attack. Berg truly shines of thoes two dudes in the end. Im not realy sure why Dan all of a sudden puts his shield down, sure maby to do more dmg but that backfired like a motherfucker. Another amazing episode… cant wait untill next one. Berg is life berg is the one man army.

3 Likes

I believe Dan can’t attack at all if he’s holding the shield.

How do you feel about letting the player see each other’s health bars? It’s a small QOL thing that would get rid of the constant what’s your HP questions.

Might just be that your right on that one :smile: Anyways mindblowing episode… someone should do a drawing of Berg “the one man army” and sell it as a poster!

1 Like

I dunno, Sean sure made the ranger look strong. If you think about it, a lot of people died when he was around.

Yuan-Ti love their underground pyramids/ziggurats. He’s setting things up nicely for Morgan Webb.

1 Like

Too bad they’ll all be dead before she joins the show. :itmejplol:

1 Like

Haha true but I have a feeling they’ll make it out. They’ll come up with an idea before next week.

1 Like

This show is like the tragic story of Berg who survives every encounter, but his friends never do.

Are there multiple versions of the 5e players handbook? mine shows mounts/vehicles on 146 and 3 pages into spell descriptions on 197. hope it isn’t outdated :frowning:

Haha that’s actually pretty accurate.

No there are not, there is errata and multiple printings but the page numbers don’t change. He is correct on pg.197, spells are not on that page like you say. You either have a different edition of D&D PHB or maybe you’re using a scanned PDF that has been hacked a bit.