itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[E20 Q&A] Mystery Goatfriends

Attack of Opportunity - Invisibility
To Adam… I thought you would like to know this: PHB - p. 195 - Attack of Opportunity. It says that you need to be able to see your opponent to be able to make an Attack of Opportunity against him/her. So going invisible for JP’s new Warlock is better than we thought :slight_smile:

Hope this helps and thanks for the show! I can really see all the work you’ve put into this world and we are reaping the benefit :smiley:

Because for this character, in this moment, right now I don’t care that much about it.

4 Likes

The problem with 3.5/PF (I have no experience with 4) is that there was essentially no limit to how powerful your character could be. You could find/create all the stat boosting items, multiclass, slap on templates and end up with 40-50+ in your primary stat while not even hitting “late game”. Not only that, but different (and a few same bonuses) stacked, making attack/damage rolls absolutely ridiculous. In 5e your stats are hard capped at 20, with very few items (mostly/only strength iirc) allowing you to go beyond the cap, but ONLY with that item.

5e isn’t going to get “overburdened” with splat books. Aside from Volos (which is limited in the character options it gives), since the release of the PHB, only 1 “Splatbook” (though half of it is lore fodder) has been available in the 2 years and nearly 5 months since the PHB was available. WotC has been dedicating most of it’s time releasing campaigns for the system than anything (6 in the same span of time)

fwiw I’m completely fine with you all exploring every inch of this horrible place just so I get the most goat for my money.

1 Like

Just in general, isn’t Persi currently using a looted crossbow anyway? I mean, aren’t half the gnomes they kill carrying bolts to replace the lost ones?

Mainly I don’t have the energy to ask every single round if he is remembering to track ammo. I’ll just say “you ran out” at some point and he’ll pout and say “why?” and I’ll say “because you weren’t tracking your ammo and now you have none”

1 Like

You really hate that character don’t you?

I agree, Sean went a bit over the top with the crying and gagging, but I love Snidge. It’s a pity that beastmaster sucks, apparently, since the command animal companion is an action, not a bonus action… maybe that can be house ruled?

On the plus side - when he runs out of ammo, he can command a CR0 beast!

Speaking of CR… he could have gone up to CR1/4 right? “Swarm of Bats/Rats/Ravens” is beast and CR1/4… could he have gotten a swarm?

Swarm of Goats :itmejplol:

No because a swarm is multiple beasts, it needs to just say beast singular.

Sure, technically the rule’s ignored, but right now running out is more or less not realistic, as ammo is in ample supply and going “I recover the spent ammo by looting the gnomes and take some extra” after each fight, is really not adding much to the show.

I’m not disagreeing with you in general, just here it’s more a very minor issue, I’d say.

“Oh you didn’t track your ammo ? Well I guess for this fight you won’t have any” :itmejplol:
I love the lawyering just to cast DM Horseshits :adamgm: ~ ~ :adamwizard:

Personnaly in my games (as a DM or player) I don’t track ammo, tracking weight is boring enough lol.
But I guess for a mechanic heavy campaign it’d be interressting, especially for the survival part of it.
Let’s be honest tho, they barely survive the fights soooo let’s take it easy :laughing:

Yeah you’re right, the fights are waaaay to easy lol

CR is still numbers based. Easy/Medium/Hard/Deadly encounters are based on XP thresholds, which equal the # of PCs and their level. For instance, 4 PCs @3rd level has a Deadly threshold of any encounter that gives 400 XP per character or 1600 XP total. So if there was enough CR 1 monsters that gave 1600 worth of XP in one encounter, that would technically be a Deadly encounter.

Rust Monster had a pretty hefty surprise round doing 2 actions on the surprise round.

1 Like

Yeah… Adam mistook the corrosion as a passive effect rather than an action. It’s a CR 1/2 monster - being able to lower AC AND attack should of thrown up a red flag. The only passive effect it gets as far as eroding metal is if it’s attacked by metal weapons.