itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[E19 Q&A] No Dog Can Have Two Masters, Fart

I think the proper question would be how many bad decisions it takes for one to appear. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well it’s tough to say but I’ll give you my guess based on just facing a single Beholder with no other enemies. A Beholder is worth 10,000 XP. Four Level 9 characters consider 9600 XP a deadly encounter. If Azure is still with them and levels up as well then five level 8 characters consider 10,400 to be a deadly encounter. Some people say the encounter table in the Dungeon Master’s Guide should be made a little harder so I could see them facing one if they had four characters at level 8. Either way we still have a way to go.

That’s also true, they could always encounter one at any level with enough bad luck but hopefully they run at earlier levels. :slight_smile:

Take not tho that the XP values in the DMG are a floor. The entire XP range from what it says is hard up until the value it says is deadly is still hard. four level 9 characters count 9599XP as only a hard encounter.

some feedback / rule fluff for EP19 and post show:

1. you can’t take attacks of opportunity if you can’t see your enemy (phb.p.195)
  2. armor of agathys lasts 1 hour, the time needed for a short rest so it would be gone at the end of the rest
  3. Warlock stuff: having hex & invisibility up at the same time, both requiring concentration, you also can replace 1 warlock spell when you level up, not your whole arsenal.
  4. automatically great weapon fighting style for Azriel / Dan: 2d6ro<2 (gives the d6 another roll if its 1 or 2)

small stuff, nothing big

2 Likes

According to at least one of the designers you CAN move between flurry of blows attacks. http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/11/03/monk-moves-between-flurry/

I am hesitant to post this because it feels like I am just talking shit, but if the players are going to be pushed to the hardest difficulty I want to feel like they get a fair chance.

The way the rule is written in the book it doesn’t make much sense but in context with the other rules, it’s cool if the flurry is interrupted. I guess this means multi-attack on monsters is the same!

p. 190 Moving between attacks:

“If you take an action that includes more than one weapon attack, you can break up your movement (…)”

For this rule unarmed attacks are the same as weapon attacks. https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/608776737917263872

So splitting up an attack action or a bonus action is the same and very much in line with the written rules.

Also the extra attack class feature of fighters, paladins, monks does not give multiple actions. You still take one action, but can make multiple attacks. p. 72

In addition, monks are themed around self enhancement and bursts of speed through the use of ki, so letting them, as the only class that has multiple attacks within a bonus action, treat that action just like the normal attack action makes sense with the class fiction.

1 Like

mostly it’s the wording - “immediately make” feels like “right now” but I get, mechanically what they’re about!

1 Like

thanks! helpful clarifications, all.

That makes Raziel’s Invisibility spell a lot more useful.

I feel that this phrasing is a hold over from a time in the design process when they had a more flexible approach to bonus or multiple actions. Similar to the phrasing of the rogue feature that reads as if you generate an aditional bonus action.

At least some of the people who were commenting on this were doing it as a callback to a joke in Rollplay Solum about Ryan’s warlock always using eldritch blast which was in itself a callback to Geoff joking about how the only thing he ever did was swing his longsword in the OG rollplay. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were some people in chat who meant it earnestly, but it’s an old, old, joke by now.

That caused so much confusion at a table I played at when combined with the rule that you can only take a bonus action if you have a class feature or ability that gives you one. There was a player arguing that it meant you couldn’t cast bonus action spells if you didn’t have a feature worded like the Rogue’s. Rules are generally worded so consistently that when they suddenly deviate it can cause serious confusion.

Yes I’m late to the party, but it would be so cool if Thuy was azure vortex. Idk what the time span was between the first characters and the second but oh well.

They left Thuy in a cave full of Kobolds after her brother was murdered. If she does come back I think she’ll come back leading a pack of Kobolds or a higher level fighter. She’ll probably be evil at this point if she still lives.

Oh damn, you’re right. Would’ve been cool though.

In addition:

A Warlock’s spell slots at 3rd level are all 2nd level spell slots, so if a 1st level spell JP casts gains additional effects when cast at a higher level, it will always be cast at that higher level (phb p107).

This would have meant that his Armour of Agathys spell would have granted 10 temporary hit points, and deal 10 cold damage, instead of 5 apiece. <3

1 Like