itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[E06 Q&A] Premarital Rex / Alternate Slimelines

On a very special episode of Too Many Cooks.

Nebula Jazz means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

Amazing episode! I am going to really miss the Nebula Jazz sit-com. I really love how the story and the world are being filled in not just by Adam but each of the cast members as well.

I could not say this enough I really love this show <3

4 Likes

So I’m only on part 1 of this week’s episode (well technically part 2), as I couldn’t watch live so I have to wait for the episodes to go up on youtube and I just want to say. Adam, I fucking LOVE this episode so far. I love what you’re doing with it. I think it’s SO COOL how it’s all set up as this actual sitcom with a studio audience and every sitcom trope… and it WORKS. There’s something really really unique about this not only from a tabletop RPGing perspective but also because this kind of thing wouldn’t work on literally any of the other shows that is or has ever been on Rollplay. Not even something like Maid or Masks or even Swan Song. There’s something uniquely Nebula Jazz about this and I love it to death. I love that everyone is buying into it so easily too. I can’t heap enough praise onto this episode (at least what I’ve watched of it so far).

1 Like

The closest show that this would work on was Mirrorshades, but Mirrorshades was the sitcom.

2 Likes

It would be cool if Las was an actually memory of someone who is still living.

Amazing show. From comedy, to the matrix, to a dark sci-fi, to planet killing grandpa’s. The pace of this show is so insane, it keeps me locked in from start to finish. What a ride!

Adam, i have a question about your multitasking skills. How do you do it? I’ve seen you explaining a story, listening to the players, talking to the players, thinking ahead for a new branch of a story, whilst talking to chat… Are you in fact the chosen one?

2 Likes

She calls it the Pip-boy.

Hey! I’m really glad you were enjoying the episode - i think the trick with like, “wackiness” is that sometimes it’s hit and miss, right? Everyone has a different tolerance for and enjoyment of certain kinds of silliness. I mean, I’m not normally someone who is into gonzo silliness in games but this game particularly is working for me. Basically, I’m glad you stuck around. Thanks for watching! <3

5 Likes

Yes.

Really though, I just treat chat like another player, honestly. You are all just as important to me as Jesse, Pokket, Sam or Dodger - I want to make sure to give y’all some space in my attention as well. It’s fun having you there. As far as multitasking the rest goes, I’ve just had lots of practice, I suppose! :smiley:

5 Likes

Too Many Cooks is pretty much the greatest piece of modern surrealism I can think of.

4 Likes

I think you’re right - ultimately Eugene is the thing that keeps the sci-fi from getting too out of hand. Weirdly, the slime is the most human of all of them.

5 Likes

when we first started into the “Very Special Episode” bit, all I told the players was “I’m gonna get weird, I trust y’all to play along” and then away we went. I get a lot of skype messages as we play, these players are real good at like, asking permission to get weird in their own way and mess with the game, and I almost always say YES PLEASE. playing nebula jazz feels a lot like juggling. it’s pretty amazing.

7 Likes

That’s the big question, isn’t it? Why do the Elaxetronians care about one human girl? What’s so special about Aurora? What’s the source of her power? TUNE IN NEXT TIME!

1 Like

A total unwillingness to let my uncertainty get in the way of pure narrative chaos. The comfort, developed over time, with saying yes to the first thing that comes to mind, because the first idea is almost always the best one.

6 Likes

From chat:

“I missed the last episode, will I be able to understand what’s going on?”
“If you missed the last five minutes, you won’t have any idea what’s going on.”

11 Likes

Just another in a long list of times Aurora jerked him around. Poor Dango.

2 Likes

rumors are spreading in chat that she’s the prince’s daughter !

Not the NPC I’d be saying she’s descended from. Think “Coluan”. Pretty sure there’s a very simple reason Grandpa Saber was on Earth and acts so human when compared to the other Elaxetronians and I imagine the “prototype” business might not be too far off.

Besides, we already have a suspected Human-Menghasi hybrid and she’s gold.

Them Menghasi genes are just too strong to be repressed by simple human genetics.

1 Like

Kind of like in Monsterhearts it tells the dm to make the monsters feel more human and the humans feel more like monsters.

“That gif of Donald Glover walking into a burning apartment with pizza, The Episode.”

3 Likes