itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[COURT OF SWORDS // E64 Q&A] Four PCs and a Baby

The girl would have woken up with the noise, gone to the window and screamed. So it would have been basically the same.

1 Like

Yes, unless they had put her in the bag :sunglasses:

Something they barely didn’t live to regret :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’d just like to say that I’m a huge fan of Asian setting of CoS and the Chinese influences especially. Not sure if Azure 2.0’s peasant dialect that no one understands was supposed to be a nod to Chinese and all the different Chinese dialects that are mutually unintelligible or not, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless.

I have a small question about something that has been on my mind for a while. When they were playing Angel characters, a lot of NPC’s were referring to them as “tianqi” or something to that effect. Is that an official name for the race, or was it a nod to the Chinese word “tianshi” meaning “angel”?

The race name is “Aasimar”. They are usually descendants of celestial beings, like angels. In CoS they appear human, usually the most beautiful humans around! They are inhabitants of heaven (place) and when they are in the courts, they are revered among the people.

Radiant Soul. Starting at 3rd level, you can use your action to unleash the divine energy within yourself, causing your eyes to glimmer and two luminous, incorporeal wings to sprout from your back.

There are different types of Aasimar, including fallen ones. They are literal angels/tianshi, so a nod to the word may be an understatement.

In CoS, like the Genasi and Dragonborn, they are one “better” reincarnation of the mortal races. They are often born to human parents. (I think)

2 Likes

Just remembered something earlier today, figure’d I would ask:

@AdamKoebel What was Hassan doing at that village waaay back in the first arc (the town that was overrun by Shadows)? Presumably he is acutely aware of the threat of the Necromancer King? Was he there just to check up on what the Mara were doing, looking for new agents of the Tower, executing a mission of destruction, or…?

They have lots of names, but yeah, the “tianshi” (a word i know via japanese as tenshi - the word for angel) refer to the almost-entirely-divine near-nirvana walking saints, a highest-level form of the human soul.

I don’t remember a single uninterrupted long rest in CoS besides those done in taverns etc. Which in my opinion is too harsh.

Its also become predictable. As soon as they went to rest, I was thinking, I wonder what the interruption will be…

5 Likes

I think this might just be perception due to them having to run around at 1 hp for so long. Just off the top of my head they were able to long rest in the basement of the vampire, in the rock gnome king lair, in utrix domain, several times in the wild with snek lady (they did get interrupted once I believe), and several other inconsequential ones. We just only seem to really remember the eventful ones.

4 Likes

@AdamKoebel What is Kalimat’s subclass as a rogue? I haven’t seen Zeke using his subclass’ abilities so he may have forgotten that he has one.

Kalimat is a Mastermind.

He has used it every now and then but not much since the first fight. It lets him use the help action as a bonus action from 30 feet away. The problem with it requires a decent amount of out of character planning to use really well. It’s not that good of a move if Berg is going to use the advantage since he has so many attacks and such a good to hit but if they get in certain initiative orders and he knows that Sali or Ramus is going next and are going to use a spell that requires an attack roll giving them advantage can be huge.

1 Like

@AdamKoebel @Ezekiel_III
I don’t know if it’s something that applies after you’ve initially created a character but I noticed in the page before it begins listing backgrounds (I don’t have the phb or I would give a page number, its on the backgrounds page of roll20) under the proficiency section it says “ If a character would gain the same proficiency from two different sources, he or she can choose a different proficiency of the same kind (skill or tool) instead.“ I don’t think it applies to any one else but I seem to remember Kalimat getting disguise kit and forgery kit from both his charlatan background and mastermind level 3 features and I don’t believe Zeke chose anything else in their place. I’m not sure if it really matters at this point but I thought I would bring it up. So excited for where the story is going currently can’t wait for the next episode.

1 Like

Hazan might want to think twice about the cycle of Destruction and Rebirth even I amagen goes for the tower.

The group were all at one hit point.

The bag that camw after.

Mastermind as he has used the help action several times.

The previous 2 CoS 62/63 were so well rollplayed and Adam did a great job but for the 64th one it did seem a bit forced, the whole demon worshiping cult just randomly having a litany and passing by that specific road while the characters were at 1 HP and had ages to take a long rest just seemed more of a tool to force the players have a hard time than actually being something believable that could indeed happen. Again, it’s Adam’s decisions in the end but to me it felt forced. Also, in my opinion, while the kid did indeed make some godlike rolls, i don’t see why it didn’t have more of a disadvantage on them since it’s just an 11 year old, it soundn’t have that much Dex and Strength…but yeah apart from that 62 and 63 were just godlike.

2 Likes

Indeed, i was confused as well, not because i remembered that she was a Genasi but because Azure Vortex basically sacrifised herself for her friends and then she got reincarnated as just a poor farm girl, that seemed to be going a bit backwards considering the reincarnation logic, so hearing that she is supposed to be a Genasi does indeed make a lot more sense.

It’s like Adam doesn’t like the resting mechanics! Remember back in the day when he and Steven hacked the hell out of resting and travelling in 5E, tried, reworked, dismissed all sorts of ideas? I bet some of that stuff stuck around. :adamwizard:

However in this instance, the interruption and splitting of the group made for a very intense episode. Berg discovering the 5 finger discount while on his literal last breath was hilarious!
I vote :itmejpgg: in favor for allowing it!

The reincarnation cycle evaluates the amount of Karma and Dharma of the entire lifespan.
We know only a little episode of her life. She was heroic in the end, but maybe she was not good enough to ascend into a higher form? The fact that she became a farm girl might have nothing to do with her race, but purely with the timing of a person being born, when her soul was ready to redeploy!?
Also keep in mind that (to my knowledge) Genasi, Dragonborn and Aasimar are on the same level of ascension. The next step would be what? Demi-god? Deity? Maybe a soul just has to grind through many lifetimes at that point to collect enough Karma for the next upgrade.