itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[COURT OF SWORDS // E57 // Q&A] Marked by Fire, Burned by Flame

Thank you, Dick Earthquake.

5 Likes

Honestly this is one of those that it’s going to be worth going back and watching again. This has been a great week with this episode and the announcements. I already need to see the next episode… gah the wait is going to kill me

@AdamKoebel Loved the show tonight. Was amazing all around. As I was saying in chat, I loved the older format, but the new changes have opened up more “space” for the characters and I think I love this even more.

One question I do have is how often do you go back to look for old threads to pull in to the current story? Do you have a list of “open” things that you keep at your fingertips, or do you go review things and look for possible connections to build on as you are developing sessions/arcs?

Fancy seeing you here! Was a pleasure watching with you and discussing the few things we did (starter set, SRD, the old and new format)!

Thanks for the correction in chat. I had the Starter Set stuck in my mind when the Basic Rules was what I was thinking of. I knew there was “something” free that people could use as a starting point.

I enjoyed chatting with you as well during the show. Hopefully there will be plenty more as the adventures continue this year! Needless to say, Adam and everyone else is going to make this an interesting ride. :grin:

2 Likes

I look for connections everywhere, seeking things to call back to, trying to create a universe where things have meaning and fate is real. It’s not so much a list or specific set of protocols, but trying to revisit and repurpose old things - looking over my notes (FLESH ARM) and trying to understand what I can reuse. I have to keep it in check, really, lest it become GM apophenia.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. You “pull the strings” so well, it always feels like you had it planned from the first episode where something was referenced. It’s one of my favorite things about watching, seeing not only how things move forward, but also, what other pieces from the past will inform how that happens.

2 Likes

@AdamKoebel Did Persona inspire you to use tarot cards in CoS? If not what did?

With all the talks of elementals in this episode it made me think. @AdamKoebel Do druids and rangers get their magic from the “gods” that shunned the creation of the fountain and remained on “earth”?

1 Like

A witchy friend of mine introduced me to tarot some years back, but Persona reinforced that interest.

1 Like

Yes. Absolutely, though the Fountain was always there - they just build heaven around it.

2 Likes

Hell of an episode to kick off the new year, and that cliffhanger is seriously gonna keep me chomping at the bit until next Tuesday.

Everything with Agni was fantastic. I do wonder just how… discriminate her families vengeance is going to be when the party delivers the message to her father. I believe the words she used were “this valley will burn.” Some of the inhabitants of the Shu Lin Valley might have a few things to say about that…

2 Likes

So the more primal entities would be the kami who chose not to join the bureacracy of heaven?

A 5th Level Commune does what you are asking, so it’s not even beyound the rules.

1 Like

I am looking forward to when the party returns to the prime material plane and because time flows differently in Utrix’s plane 2 years has gone by and the capital has been burned down to the ground, hehe

This is a very fucking appropriate thing to be worried about.

7 Likes

Chose not to, were not invited, were asleep, etc. Some say the most bitter of those turned away from Heaven’s doors fled to dark places and let their resentment fester…

7 Likes

Are we talking a situation where some of them might have become the Mara, or were they a force opposed to the Fountain before the split?

Also makes me wonder a bit if some of the “renegade” deities are the kind of thing that could serve as certain warlock patrons.

The Mara didn’t exist until Heaven and the cycle of reincarnation did.

The gods of the earth are almost all either dead, asleep or reverted to primordial barely-thinking states, overwhelmed with their stagnating power. Like, Imix isn’t someone you can just go and talk to, but he has an ancient and powerful desire. I think they’re more abstract sources of power than a Warlock could get at.

1 Like

probably more like Sorcerers where someone could interact with their power, and end up having it ignite some spark of power in themselves?