itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[Court of Swords ~ E18 Q&A] Koebel's Angels

In nomine critical, et saving throw, et filii hp.

2 Likes

Dafuq was up with that bandid second in command? Boss had 6 HP, she had like 70 or something. :itmejpwtf:

2 Likes

she was just waiting for her opportunity to strike. Desert Wolf had too much social cachet. Bandit society is complicated.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if you had directly addressed this. What exactly are the Great Old Ones in this campaign setting? Or are we not yet supposed to know?

2 Likes

We’ve seen their servants glimpsed before, but little more than that.

2 Likes

Glimpsed meaning the time with the Sun heresy?

So do the new characters know that the religion of man is kind of BS and everything is actually controlled by a Diablo style Angeris Council?

1 Like

nope! another time…

The angels are separate from the gods, and the gods’ power is still real, you know?

Berg was on the verge of death last week, recovering. When this group encounters the remainder of the other group, Volnach and Berg should do the thing from DBZ’s Namek arch, where Piccolo merges with Nail… so in the end the character gets to multiclass Monk and Barbarian at some level up and their voices sometimes discuss stuff…

:itmejplewd::itmejpcheese:

Pls? I really want an Angel-like creature with a part that is half-ork!

For science @AdamKoebel & @GassyMexican!

1 Like

Ahh ok. So it would be unlikely the acts of JP’s character and his relationship to the Old Ones would invoke the Mara. I’m curious, have you already devised some system for if a player asks help from the Mara? Like if they bargained for their lives when close to death? Or would you not bother, and just have them die?

No questions… from tonight:

Now I’m off to bed to sleep off those margaritas.

7 Likes

I’m getting a very Exalted vibe from this episode.

no, but i loooooove demonic pacts so, we’ll see if we get there

2 Likes

Just two little things about that last combat, that i have in mind, you could mention this to players (or not). I believe that if Dan would have used his racial ability in the beggining of a fight, later, he would deal damage, and tank, that could be really helpful. Second thing, i realy love how JP used his bird to heal Max, but i think he could just use 1 hp instead of all 3. Effect would be the same, but he could repeat it later. Anyway, those are just some of my thoughts, that can help someone in the future. Also i want to say, i really love how you used the players, to create amazing lore around this new, and mysterious race. Keep up the good work :).

hella accurate. the tianshi are more like solars in this setting than stock “half-angels” for sure.

I most likely would have been dead on the first wave of attacks if I had not dodged first, I really wish they were bonus actions as it’s hard to fit them into the combat cycle.

Also Assimar healing hands has to be used all at once, it’s not like lay on hands.

1 Like

Anyone else imagine Azrial as a badass ronin with a sephriroth-esque odachi blade? No? Just me?

This was a fun episode. I love how we get to see the world of Court of Swords in such different ways depending on the party. One of the upsides of playing in this deadly a setting, I suppose.

Not sure if this has been brought up, but I think Dan’s character got a bit too much HP? In the character creation video he got 10+1 HP for the first two levels, even though the the average for second level should be 6+1 HP. So 23 HP instead of 27 all in all.

It would be a pity to deprive the mara of that sweet character death, after all.

I’m a big fan of ancient Old ones, and lovecraftian lore. So if there’s a chance it could turn out where this Old one Jp’s character has made a pact to is actually something far crazier and older than the mara from the far realm!? That would be sweet. Bring insanity and the unknown into this already deadly world.

What if the Ancient mara in its original form wasn’t evil or good, but just twisted dark energies left behind or leaked by whatever is lurking beyond the dark abyss?

They say that when you look into the abyss, the abyss looks back, but what if it looks back out of fear that you will notice something far worse than whatever lies in the abyss or rather accidentally call forth that which lies beyond the darkness.