itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

Award Winning RPGs on Rollplay

Recently I have enjoyed a lot of the One Shots exploring some of the roll-playing games that are widely considered to be among the best designed.
Especially Mouseguard, Dogs in the Vinyard, WWW, and Tales From the Loop.
They really help me get my head around what they do and why they have been so well received.

So with that in mind I have a list of games that have done well in the Ennies, Indie RPG Awards and RPG Geek Awards that interest me, that I would love to see on Rollplay either as a Oneshot or short campaign.
Primetime Adventures
HillFolk
Night Witches
Gumshoe (Bubblegumshoe or another instance)
Feng Shui
Cortex Plus (Firefly or a hack)

Do these games interest anyone else? are there other games that you would add to this list?

Obviously the GM would need to be enthusiastic about the game for this to be worthwhile, I’m not saying that they should definitely play these games.

4 Likes

Feng Shui would be amazing as a Rollplay one shot

1 Like

I’ve wanted to play PTA again for years. Also the new edition of Fung Shui is supposed to be pretty good.

6 Likes

Links for the Lazy

Primetime Adventures: http://www.dog-eared-designs.com/

Feng Shui: http://www.atlas-games.com/fengshui/

1 Like

I’d love to see Drama System (Hillfolk) run . I feel like it would be a good fit for Twitch for all of the mechanics-light reasons that the PBtA games work and with the expanded worlds you could do some fun hooks. Roll-Play Godfather (using the Mafia Century pitch) or Roll-Play Breaking Bad (Narcocorridor) might be interesting for the audience and aren’t usually served well by other systems.

1 Like

I would love to see Rollplay do a Mobile Frame Zero: Firebrands oneshot. It’s probably my favorite game system right now, and I’m sure there’s enough mecha anime fans in the extended Rollplay family to create something truly wonderful. It would also be, I think, Rollplay’s first venture into GM-less games, and I can think of no better place to start.

Dream lineup would probably be Adam / Jesse / Dodger / Octo + somebody else.

5 Likes

In order:

1. Dungeon Crawl Classics
  2. Starfinder
  3. Mouseguard

I know we already saw Mouseguard but I really enjoyed it.

2 Likes

I don’t know how well it would do in a One-Shot, but I’ve always loved playing Battlelords of the 23rd Century. It’s a d100 base.

Qin: The Warring States
Dragon Age RPG
Blue Rose
Burning Wheel
World of Darkness (preferably Changeling)
Legend of the Five Rings (the original version from 1997)

1 Like

I know that high profile IPs can be tricky, but if there’s players/DMs who fancy it then Star Trek Adventures is out soon. The taster session I played in was pretty good fun and seemed to capture the setting rather nicey.

Otherwise I’d love to see Paranoia or Technoir.

1 Like

obligatory BURNING WHEEL! I would also love to see Apocalypse World or Dungeon World with some of the Rollplay cast members.

Call of Cthulhu - pretty much any edition, really simple and quick and dirty with a potentially hilarious life expectancy on PC’s

Shadowrun 5th ed - would be a good comparison to Mirrorshades in terms of how the rules and setting/vibes/themes have changed in the 25-ish years between them

Fading Suns - janky rules with a great dune-ish space opera feel. One of my personal favourites.

Aberrant - Storyteller based supers game, with a greatly fleshed out world full of conspiracies and OTT characters dominating the media. In fact, any storyteller game, from oWoD to Exalted or the rerelease of the Trinity line thats coming out - any of them would be good as it is a relatively popular and successful system that afaik hasn’t been on Rollplay ever.

1 Like

Shadow of the Demon Lord.
Night’s Black Agents
Fiasko
Dungeon Crawl Classics
Dread (Unfortunatly only playable in person since the resolution mechanic is playing Jenga )

2 Likes

Delta Green, for a real gritty and grim one shot. Set it during the setting of 1st Edition, where they don’t have the government on their side. If it works out, the second one shot could be with 2nd Edition, after Delta Green has defeated Majestic-12 and taken its place.

1 Like

For one-shots, having a oneshot story game would be cool

3 Likes

Gotta represent with Apocalypse World. My group’s been loving it for a long time. I’ve heard tale of the legendary things that Adam and John do with that game, and I want to seeeeeee it.

1 Like

seconded. MF0: Firebrands would be awesome to see w/ some of these cast members.

1 Like

here you go! it’s my favorite AP series on the internet so far, enjoy!

Apocalypse World | Roll20 Games Master Series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTj75n3v9eTmTM_YpZWLbBZgWM4aI3Eo4

1 Like

I’d love to see you play another Swedish TTRPG!

Trudvang Chronicles should be released at the end of August (Link).
It would be really cool to see what kind of story Adam could cook up! :slight_smile:

The art is so beautiful! and it’s the most anticipated TTRPG 2017 according to Enworld.org.

Other games on that list looks interesting as well!

I hope you find what you are looking for, through all of these comments! :smiley:

My picks would be in no particular order:

Scum and Villainy (Blades in the Dark…IN SPACE!)
Dungeon Crawl Classics
Fragged Empire
Mutants and Masterminds
World of Darkness (Vampire Dark Ages would be rad)
Apocalypse World 2nd Ed (Fallen Empires - Fantasy spin)
Shadow of the Demon Lord
Other Dust
Silent Legions
Stars Without Numbers Revised Edition
Unknown Armies
Warhammer Fantasy