Hey guys, I'm super stoked to bring you an update.
Not a full episode yet, but a good preview, and (if you guys remember anything about the start of Swan Song), I'm thankful to have the character creation section out of the way and expect the rest to be a lot easier to type up.
Writing up Swan Song Week 1 Part 1 took around 4 hours 30 minutes. The script is 9.900 words over 26 pages. I used macros to input player names and found it really fun to type.
Compared to work files that I've had to transcribe, the guys are all incredibly easy to understand and transcribe, it was just a long haul for this first part due to a lot of back and forth about character stats and whatnot. However, it does make me cautious for the future when I might have to consider cutting out the pre-game ramble, because an hour of back and forth chitchat could be too much. On the other hand, I do want to provide a "professional" style piece of work, and it would look weird having subtitles for just 4 parts of a 5-part show, for instance.
Onto subtitles. I didn't consider converting the script to subtitles at first, but a Reddit user said it would be cool for foreign-language people who are not good at English to be able to read what the guys are saying, especially when there is a lot of cross-talk and subtle jokes that we struggle even in English to catch onto at times.
I haven't used subtitles before, so figuring it out took a while. First I opened my MS Word document with Notepad++ then used extended Find & Replace to add a space between every line in order to restore line breaks, or something (whatever it was, it was important at the time). Then I used an add-on to reformat every line down to 50 characters in width, which is roughly an appropriate width for subtitles (have a look for yourself). The trimming options in the Subtitle Edit application were bugging out on me (that's my excuse, anyway), so I had to come up with this other method, and it works just fine.
Next, I imported my text file into Subtitle Edit and set a hotkey that let's me "push to go", so to speak. With that, I have to listen to the Role Play video again whilst holding and releasing my hotkey for every line of subtitle, in order to assign it a timestamp. After about 20 minutes of this you start to get into the "zone" and figure out just when exactly to press the button each time, so it's not so bad. (More importantly you stop twitching all the time and lifting your finger off the button by accident, lol). At the end, I went back through the first 10 minutes of the file to iron it out, and then applied the automatic 'bridge gap duration' option, just to iron things out. Along the way I also managed to patch up around 5 typos, which I also edited out of the original script.
So, what have I got to show you?
First is the script file in PDF format. Scroll down a bit to download it and open in your browser. MS Word version is available too, but, for right now, this is easy to share: https://www.pdf-archive.com/2017/01/30/rollplay-swan-song-week-1-part-1-1/
Second is the subtitled version of Swan Song Week 1 Part 1, hosted on my Youtube channel. This is unlisted and just for showcase purposes.
It turns out that attaching my subtitle file to the Youtube video is done with just two clicks of a button and not even 5 seconds of wait time. So, if JP is interested in attaching these to his series, it is actually a pretty viable thing to do. The end result is actually pretty awesome too (click on the subs button at the bottom of the video to enable it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoIIk5WKjLc
Last of all, here is the standalone subs file. If you don't want to watch my totally illegal showcase version on Youtube, download this file (be careful to untick the download manager button there) and drag it into your media player when you're playing a downloaded copy of Swan Song Week 1 Part 1. JP, if you're reading this and want to go ahead and insert this file into Swan Song yourself, please feel free to. Just extract the .srt, navigate to Week 1 Part 1 of Swan Song, click on the Subtitle/CC option, upload the .srt and click Save: https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtitles/6869066/rollplay-swan-song-week-1-part-1-en
Thanks everyone for reading, if any of you bothered to read that wall of text. Honestly, I don't think I can stop typing now. I'm on a roll. I think I lost some of my brain cells along the way, though.
In the next few days I hope to complete Week 1 Part 2, the same way (hopefully it'll be a lot quicker from now on), and maybe make a 2 minute Youtube video of the process using Camtasia and then stick it on a Patreon page in case anyone wants to support this. Again, like I said, it's up to JP whether or not this gets the go-ahead.
Anyway, thanks for reading guys. Let me know what you think (watch the youtube link, it's super cool )
Edit: Actually it feels sooo good to have done this, lol. Fuckin' Swan Song, man. If you've ever wondered from time to time what the hell they're talking about, the transcript is super fun