itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

Thoroughly enjoying this non-standard fantasy setting!

Just gotta say the number one thing I love about this show is the setting!

Almost all the D&D I have played, and 90% of the D&D shows I have watched are using the standard Tolkien-esque fantasy, medieval western europe fantasy, or Forgotten-realms based stuff.

I have done/watched the occasional Desert Based or Lovecraftian based fantasy settings, which is always fun and interesting, but not new or original necessarily.

I love the Southeast Asia inspired setting not only because it’s different, SEA fantasy is completely new to me. Everything from the alignment and bond system, to the Gods, to the cultural aesthetic.

I have always appreciated Adam’s storytelling in the RollPlay shows, but CoS is special because of its original storytelling AND the original setting.

Anyone else feel the same way as me? Also was wondering if there are any SEA-inspired fantasy works out there that any of y’all have come across.

7 Likes

Yeah me too! Also props to Adam for not choosing some of the “more popular” Asian settings. I think majority people when choosing any Asian culture influence go straight up Japan or maybe China/Korea because those countries have the strongest presence in western world. And don’t get me wrong, I do love them but it’s cool to see getting other Asian countries some love too.

5 Likes

The world Adam has created feels new and exciting. It is familiar enough for me to not get lost, but fresh enough to inspire a sort of gleeful curiosity. I hope as the campaign goes on we tread further into this new and intriguing theme.

4 Likes

A perfect summation of how I feel watching this show!

2 Likes

The elves in this setting remind me a bit of the elves in the Discworld series.

“Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvelous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.”

-Lords and Ladies

2 Likes

:heart: Terry Pratchett
I was thinking the same thing when Adam described the elves

1 Like