itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

The Switch: Joy-Con or Pro-Controller?

The Nintendo Switch finally got revealed and hopefully you caught the livestream, if not you can check out jp’s VOD, he has it up on you tube as well, to get caught up.

In summary, 300 bucks base price, (320 bucks here in Romania, not that bad), comes with a dock, 2 joy con’s and…i think they give you an usb type-c cable? Which is good.

The big game confirmed on release will be The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, not Mario Odyssey surprisingly which is due to near the end of the year. Personally i would have been happy to play with both Mario and Link on release but oh well, they must have good reasons to delay it.

Not exactly sure which 3rd party games are on release but they confirmed Switch will be getting Skyrim, Fire Emblem and…other games…

2 immediate cons:

• Online play will cost money now, it’s gonna be free until August i believe but then it’s a monthly pay.
  • Peripherals are fairly high priced, i would take extra care of the Joy-Cons with this in mind.

That being said apparently people immediately hate the Joy-Cons without even trying em out, opting to buy a Pro Controller the moment they can, which is absurd since it’s priced at 70 bucks? That’s outrageous, or maybe i’m just stingy.

But i want to believe people can adapt to the Joy-Con.

Did you ever play guitar hero on a DS with the attachment?

Somethings arent worth adapting to. Controllers matter. Tiny controllers suck all the balls.
I imagine the joycons are fine when you are holding the whole system (like the wiiu tablet) but using a single one by itself is something I would not willingly do,

Does it have a USB port?
Smash4 is bound to end up on the system so I would think they would want some way for people to connect gamecube controllers. If it there is a USB port I am sure you could use the wiiu adapters.

The dock has 2 USB 2.0 ports on the side and another port just listed as USB on the back, and the Switch has 1 USB Type-C port.

2 Likes

Type-C, is that the new funky mini-usb some of the newer androids have?

yes it is and it is the same connection as Thunderbolt 3

1 Like