itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

The not so obvious but have you seen thread (TV Shows)

I remember a while ago JP watched West Wing for the first time and enjoyed it, It got me thinking that there are lots of obscure great shows that did not get noticed and being a fan of many tv shows it would be great to read what little shows people loved.
Here is a list of some shows I don’t think many people have heard of that I feel is worth the watch.

Journeyman : Quantum Leap type show where a man travels back in time to fix things that have went wrong

Space Above and Beyond : What Starship Troopers would be like if it was a tv show crossed with top gun in space

Jericho : Nukes wipe out America and the small town of Jericho most deal with the repercussions

Terra Nova : In the future people will travel back in time to live with the dinosaurs

Farscape : During an experimental rocket launch a man is launched to the other side of the galaxy

Note - Please try to keep this to lesser known shows, we have all seen Game of Thrones!

1 Like

wait … Farscape is considered obscure?

Edit:

I will ad to the list-
Warehouse 13 - a present time show with steampunk elements where a group of agents have to keep the world safe from dangerous pieces of antiquity.

Leverage: a great show if you like heist films

1 Like

Warehouse 13 is an excellent choice, enjoyed that

to add to the list, not sure if it’s considered obscure or not:
The Bridge (Bron/Broen) - a body is found on the bridge between Denmark and Sweden so detectives from both countries have to work together to solve the case.

It’s in Danish/Swedish so if you’re like me and don’t speak either language you have to make sure you have the time to sit down and just watch with the subtitles, but I really enjoyed it. There is also an American adaptation of it, but I have not seen it so don’t know what it’s like.

2 Likes

Yes Bron/Boen is great. I even hear it from exchange students that come to Malmö/Sweden that they’ve watched it in their home country. The last season (4) is in production right now so a pretty good time to start watching older episodes.

2 Likes

I had no idea they were making a season 4, but now I’m really excited for it lol

1 Like

The Netflix Original Bloodline went under the radar of a lot of people and it’s one of the best Netflix shows IMO.
The actors are so talented and the plot is great!

1 Like

I know @itmeJP watched Bloodlines. I started watching it because I always try to check out what the cast from the show Friday Night Lights are up to these days.

1 Like

Lots of good shows here but to add:

Longmire - a show about a small town sheriff in Montana. It a poor pitch but the best cop show I’ve ever seen.
Peaky Blinders - a story about a Birmingham mob family taking place right after WWI

And if anyone here hasn’t seen Stranger things yet (region permitting) then go right now a watch it!!

1 Like

I have to restart Bloodlines, started it and then Stranger Things blew up, and I forgot about, then Luke Cage came out, and I forgot about it. So if nothing great comes out on Netflix maybe I can get to it

1 Like

Speaking of Netflix stuff, BLACK MIRROR Season 3 apparently just came out. If it’s anything like Season 1 or 2, it’s definitely worth a watch.

2 Likes

Hell yeah. Black Mirror 1 and 2 where awesome. My favorite where probably the futuristic idol/got talent episode. There’s so many elements to all of those episodes and I love that there’s such a huge cyberpunk influence through it. I’ve taken a lot of it into the TTRPG Mutant that I like to play around with.

1 Like

As a Brit there are some British gems I can recommend. Garth Marenghi's Dark Place, **Utopia (HBO are doing a US remake of it atm), How Not to Live Your Life. Just to name some

1 Like

Black BooksPeep Show

2 Likes

Those are timeless classics! What about The Mighty Boosh? :itmejphappy:

1 Like

You! What did you say to Kate? She thinks I’m the Renaissance. She’ll think I’ve lied! I’ve had to go along with all this “reclusive genius” stuff. She’s going to be very upset when she finds out I’m just a reclusive wanker!

2 Likes

Going against the grain here as I think The Mighty Boosh is and was awful. I can get how people can like it but I could never personally recommend it ¯_(ツ)_/¯ not my kind of humour :unamused:

1 Like

I guess Channel Zero falls under here since my thread went nowhere :stuck_out_tongue:
I can’t be the only one that have started to see it?

1 Like

I see the problem right off, it’s on SYFY, ever since they changed the name from SCIFI I have seen a decline in programming quality and barely watch that channel any more.

1 Like

Season 3 is pretty good, it feels a little different tonally from S1 and S2.

1 Like

I’d like to add in Ash vs The Evil Dead for those needing some cheesy horror comedy. T’is the season.

1 Like