itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

The declining desire of Non-Rollplay Content

Anyone else starting to undergo a declining desire to watch anything outside of Rollplay content?

Whether I only got 15 minutes, an hour , or a nice full day to dedicate to finding something to watch, if it’s not rollplay content I tend to find myself not bothering or quickly losing interest. I used to watch many different youtube channels daily, now only one or two. I follow a good 20 or so streamers, but lately can’t tune in for 5 minutes unless its rollplay, dropped frames, or a streamer within the ‘family’. Granted streamer wise, majority of the games I prefer to play myself then watch.

I should be Clear this disscusion/topic is only directed at ‘Live Media’ or rather ‘new media’ if you prefer. I’m mostly just referring to anything on twitch or youtube videos. ( majority gaming channels, etc. )

Kind of depressing, but that implies something negative so maybe I need a better word for these feels. I won’t lie, the wait times between shows do tend to feel a bit empty. A never ending thirst for more, a fix I have to patiently wait for until the next show. The saving grace being this wonderful, community board to lurk in, and paetron bonus vids for a quick fix.

Is it lack of original content these days? Is it stemming from my love of improv, creativity, and rpg’s? Am I just getting older and trimming down what I spend my time on? Is it the result of finding a Rollplay show a far more positive watching experience I could ever hope for anywhere else? Is it that creepy clown ‘Phil’ hiding under my basement stairs, eating my dreams at night? Or is Rollplay the next step in live entertainment?

Perhaps, given by my name, it boils down to me being a creative, introvert only being satisfied by like minded content. I’m not sure what this was lol. Tangent? Me venting? My forever racing mind just pondering away at life? Regardless, if you feel like indulging me, I am curious if any of you feel the same way or have thoughts on the matter, and forgive this one’s grammar slash too much text. Secret Bonus high five to anyone who actually read ALL of my 4am writings on no sleep. o/

:itmejptip:

3 Likes

This is one of the big things for me at least. I’ve started to value my time a lot more than money. There’s a few YouTube channel that I do check out but only those that have proven themselves to me that they provide value for my time.

Time is a lot more valuable these days to people than anything else and that’s one of the reasons why ads (on all platforms) is such a shitty proposal. We rather pay to get more time than spend time to make a little bit more money, You can see this rise in the rise of subscription media.

Also negativity or criticism is fine as long as it’s put into the right context and as long as it dosen’t cross the guidelines here. As far as I can see this is not an attack on a person or criticizing a person in anyway but rather criticism on an idea or concept so this will stay up. The guidelines can be found here (they’re the standard guidelines for all discourse installations and have not been changed by us)

1 Like

Actually I’ve had problems getting back into Rollplay, I dropped a bunch of shows and never finished some others that I loved.

Now I mostly watch Dropped Frames because I am honestly just not interested in starting any of the new shows, I don’t know why I just have this strange lack of motivation to do it even though I know I’d probably enjoy it.

Yeah, this is more along the lines of how I’ve felt for a while. I’ve followed since the beginning of Rollplay and at some point I hit a wall where I couldn’t find myself wanting to keep watching. Maybe it was the sheer amount of shows that started to pop up, but it’s been hard for me to get back into any show for more than an episode or two.

Because of that, I’m always looking forward to JP’s Oversalt streams or whatever random game just because I found myself enjoying the normal gaming content much more than Rollplay for a while now. Hell, I don’t know shit about Final Fantasy and looking forward to watching the stream.

I WISH I could be into Rollplay like I was a couple years ago, but I just have no motivation to get into it again.

I’m the exact opposite because I follow so much content that it’s almost impossible for me to stay current with everything. This leads me to binge watch certain shows to catch up but in turn I fall behind on something else and have to binge watch that. The cycle never ends which never leaves a dull moment for me.

All of this on top of working full time, playing games, and learning to play WoW.

If the current stuff you watch bores you then you should try branching out to new content.

I know the feel man. Right here with you.

If you want shows that have the same quality I’d suggest you the Roll20 Present series with @AdamKoebel, and the upcoming Pendragon show of @Silent0siris. Apocalypse World was the first show of Adam as a GM resident for Roll20.

And as a bonus, Behind the Scenes with the good Ol’ GM Prep !

Also let it be remembered that @koibu0 AKA Neal Erickson the first DM of :itmejproll::itmejpplay: still stream rpgs. He’s doing experiences with D&D and pushes the setting to it’s extreme with his community. Quality audio is kinda lacking since the guest aren’t streamers, but the Hardcore Heroes show is very good and guests have acceptable equipment.

I also had a lot of fun on @Eric_Vulgaris channel with Torchbearer | The Oathkeeper’s Demesne
In the cast there is @Silent0siris and @commuting_crow a talented guest who plays a lot with Adam
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJ0snHDJGuC2LTGyJxmMmbFccw9wiUo63

I have a hard time keeping up with low-quality shows, and the very good ones are hard to find.
Nothing seems attractive when you have the standards of JP’s shows (I speak from experience).
Sometimes you gotta search a long time before finding something appealing.
And you are at the right place. So enjoy :wink:

And if by misfortune you already gave a shot to those shows, keep an eye out. New shows are coming, and talented GM can still rise.

Yeah, thats how much I appreciate this new trend of table top games on twitch. It’s encouraging to see these not only make a come back, but quickly becoming very popular. I find these kind of live content far more enjoyable than anything else done live.

@SoberCreativity Have you’ve watched all the older RollPlay shows? When did you originally start watching?

I’m curious because I feel rather overwhelmed by the whole thing now. I started watching about 2 years ago when Swan Song had just started and since then I’ve been catching up on all the other shows. I still have maybe half of Solum left and a bunch of the shorter shows. While I’m catching up on those, I occasionally binge on the new shows, but going through the old shows definitely always makes me lose track of the new shows for many weeks.

Swan Song was the only one that fully hooked me to the point of overriding even all TV shows, so for me if anything it’s harder to become invested with the current shows. In a way I almost treat it like, “guess I’ll see if this show gets a second season before I jump in” - I need that underlying larger plotline. Swan Song nailed that.

I like some of the shows you listed there, but i disagree that they are the same quality as the RollPlay shows. The casts often arent as comfortable on cam as bigger Streamers are and in terms of audio quality RollPlay shows are miles ahead.

I’m looking forward to the new show that Adam is putting together. Of course it won’t be Swan Song but that have already had it’s swan song. There’s so many shows out there today that have sprung up after Critical Role and RollPlay (I hope) as well. I’ve had the fortune to work with a few of them and with the 2nd coming of our overlays we want to set ourselves apart even more. It’s going to be an interesting 2017 to say the least.

A lot of smaller shows haven’t really taken the viewer experience into account as much as they should. But then again RollPlay have been around for a long time and we’ve worked out a lot of issues that we’ve seen. For me the cast is so important and that’s why we’ve adjusted to show more camera to be able to show body language and emotions better.

It is a common thing,i guess. I know i had the same feeling.

I got tired of watching the same thing over and over. I don’t even care as much for shows like the Co-optional podcast as i used to. I love the hosts, but if i have already watched Dropped Frames, there is not much new to watch, and vice versa. The interesting part for me, is not the games. I actually don’t care about the games talk anymore. That is mostly filler, for a great talkshow where 4 friends is shittalking eachother and talk about what they they did the last week. Wich is great entertainment to me, running in the backgound (atleast for coop podc. and dropped frames). Gaming just happens to be central topic, and it is almost the same minor topics each week, for each show, i only need one show like that. The same goes for general gaming shows on YT. In the beginning i came for the games, but stayed because of the hosts. Today i have one mane channel i watch all content from (all i can) and that is JP channel. Everybody else i just nitpick from, the most interesting videos/streams i find.

Now what i can recommend you to do, if you are looking for more content to watch, find a new thing, that has nothing to do with gaming, to fill in the gaps between your regular shows. YT is vast. Recently i found Neil DeGrasse Tyson lectures, does the thing for me. They are some really really good ones out there, and you learn some cool stuff.

2 Likes

Well they aren’t comfortable at first yeah, but that’s the sort of thing one get used to quit quickly. And in terms of audio quality well … yeah you’re right :itmejplol:
But the quality of the roleplay of these shows are quite refined. Now should we look at roleplay quality over audio quality ? I’m not the right guy to answer that I’m half deaf :laughing:
And I’m used to listen to rp shows rather than watching 'em so good video or poor quality overlays aren’t rly important tom me

I’ve been watching since day one of Rollplay back before Solum was called Solum. I hear you about Swan Song, man I miss that show and DH before that. The new shows have been much slower to get into for sure, nowhere near as great as Song, but I’m enjoying them anyhow.

I’m kind of the opposite. I used to keep up with Solum and looked forward to it every week. After that I tried to keep up with one of the other shows but after I had missed a couple of weeks I just never got back to it. Miss 2-3 weeks and that’s 12 hours to catch up on. It’s just too much while also keeping up with normal TV shows that I watch.

So for me I’ve started to prefer the other content that I don’t have to keep up with religiously to understand what’s going on. Lately though all the salt and negativity has started to become a bit tiresome. I’ll keep coming back for the live live shows, DF and stuff like that, but I’ve had just about all I can stand of OverSalt.