itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

The closing of the subreddit

Just wanna say that it’s awesome how patiently you respond to criticism, how fair or unfair it may be. :+1:

5 Likes

You know, I was somewhat opposed to the idea of the Subreddit poofing, since I did prefer using it. However, after some reconsideration I see that back then, to me, the community felt very loose. With this new site I think it has become more centralised, that may be my former Gmod Community nostalgia but it that is the atmosphere I’m getting.

:itmejp10: job!

4 Likes

Was the exact same for me. I feel very much reminded of my good old Quake 3 Defrag mod days 12 years ago.

2 Likes

That’s probably true in part, but 1k users pay day doesn’t necessarily translate to only that many unique active people in total. I myself only checked on the sub every few days and/or when a show was on or something of interest had happened (like an announcement or something). So 1k views per day might easily translate to several thousand checking in on different schedules.

Also, this place is all new and exciting and hyped up and stuff, while the sub-reddit existed for a long time already, so of course you’ll get more activity right now. You might wanna give things a few weeks or months to settle before comparing numbers.

3 Likes

Not really we’ve looked at it for a long time, even the statistics on reddit are pretty crappy, at the most we’re looking at 2 000 visits in a day. In that there’s minimal amount of engagements and to be honest engagement is what we’re really looking at but reddit actually don’t give any insight on that. The most common feedback from those that didn’t like the move was “I really only come for Q&A” and “I only check for updates”. We will see how Q&A works here since we can’t really know until after this weekend. The last one we’re working on solving with either a bot that posts announcements to the subreddit or with a site that displays those announcements on a standalone page, probably with a RSS feed.

Good that’s exactly what we want. Shows that it’s working better than intended. You’re right the subreddit had been around for a long time and had become extremely stagnant with only small peaks in views/posts even after shows. That’s what we want to avoid the most. And even if it’s less views and it might look like a step back it’s so we can take two forward and it won’t mean moving back to reddit.

2 Likes

I’m personally a bit on the fence on thise whole Discourse thing. I liked reddit, but this isn’t too terrible either, at least for very simple/linear stuff. What I don’t like about this site is the way conversations work. Reddit displays those as an easy to grasp tree, where it’s apparent at a glance who responded to who and what. Here, it’s very annoying and confusing to follow multiple threads of conversation in one post and the ones I’ve seen have been very light weight so far.

Q&A will probably work well enough, since it’s mostly one question, one answer, with a few outliers. Once the threads go deeper, it’s probably gonna be really shitty without a proper tree view.

That’s not gonna last forever, though. People get a new toy, they play a lot with it for a while and then it becomes part of the decor. I don’t see how that shows it’s working better than intended (aside from people not rejecting it alltogether) or how you could keep it that way.

2 Likes

I’ll probably have to write up a short guide explaining all the features a bit better. They’re fairly intuitive over time but they can be confusing when you’re used to something different. All to make the transition as smooth as possible.

You’re 100% correct, that’s also why we needed to take control over the back-end code and server so we can keep it fresh pretty much constantly. We have bunch of ideas from live topics for the show (for a slower chat experience) to how we can use the polls and built in wiki posts. People rejecting things will also be a thing, be it that we would stay on reddit or not, that’s just normal.

If there anything that someone is missing or something that they want to have we’ll look into it and have a open discussion about it and hopefully figure out a way to make it happen. I hope that people will see that we’re doing a full shift in management as well with this move. While JP of course is involved it’s mostly me and the mod team that handles the day to day and development of the community.

1 Like

As someone who barely used Reddit I’d really disagree. Always found the Reddit system confusing.

2 Likes

Confusing in what way? You see at a glance which comment was a response to which other comment. You can scrolls to a random part of the comment section of a reddit post and see which are top level comments, which are replies, which are at the end of a chain and so on. There’s none of that in a flat view.

Discourse tries to solve that by letting you see direct responses to one post, but once you have multiple parallel conversations, that all go back and forth, I don’t see how you’d keep tap on that here without unwrinkling your brain.

1 Like

Ah I think I see why you’re having problems getting to grips with this system.

So Reddit is great when you do want to get a overview, as you said. What Reddit doesn’t do is promote discussion. Discourse isn’t trying to re-do reddit or replicate their system. But rather is looking only at “how do we make the discussion and conversation key”. It does this in by not promoting most upvoted or most liked but instead notifies when you’ve been active in a topic, replied in a topic or are interested in a topic. The system is pretty intuitive and allows you to figure things out as you go and as you interact with others.

So if you’re look at it as “how is this reddit” or “how is this better than reddit” you’re going at it the wrong way. They’re different systems with different philosophies on how to have a better discussion. For us we want to focus on discussion rather than focusing on the most liked/upvoted discussion.

But this is getting off-topic now. If it continues to be off-topic I’ll split it into two topics.

3 Likes

Reddit isn’t the only system that uses a tree view. I don’t care about upvotes/likes, I care about being able to figure out what’s going on in a thread quickly, look at the discussion threads I’m interested in and ignore the ones I don’t care about. Reddit comments could be strictly sorted by time posted and I’d still prefer it to Discourse at this point in time, because it makes those things easy for me.

And I mean that not just for discussions I’m part of, but also those that other people have. If the system only makes it easy for the people involved in the ongoing threads, but doesn’t care about “external” readers, you might as well have them in private chat channels or whatever.

I’m kinda not. You’re, basically, a service provider asking me to move away from a service I’m used to, that I like and that I use for a lot of other things, to your service (at least in part). To do that, you have make me a value proposition that makes me stay, i.e. you have to be better than reddit (to me). If you’re not (and as I said, I’m still a bit on the fence on that; I might get used to this, I might not), there’s a good chance I’ll use this place purely as a source of information (details/discussions about announcements, maybe Q&A’s) and nothing else.

Sorry didn’t mean to imply that you care about upvotes/likes. The reddit system and philosophy does, even if they’ve added features to not have it like that it’s their default still. You’re right they’re great at give you an overview over the most upvoted/liked content. The difference is that it’s not what we want to highlight.

And I understand completely that you want to be convinced. The only way we can do that is with time and effort to make the features that are needed. We will love you in any form that you choose to be part of the community and hopefully somethings we make or the discussions that come up can convince you.

The absolute best way to help us get there is to tell us what we can do and give feedback, but telling us to go back to reddit is not going to solve anything.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Tree structure option?

That’s where I’m at as well.

1 Like

The main thing i think is that while jp didnt create the redit it is still his content that is being discussed etc. And as this is a buisness it is better for him to have control of that which he didnt for the redit. While it sucks it closed yes I personally dont blame him at all as the people that created it should be happy it lasted as long as it did and that he supported it. Not that I am trying to say anything with this but sometimes i think people forget while yes streamers are are entertainers and such etc that is their job and as such it is best for them in the long run to control their content to gurad against and reprecussions that were out of their hands involving information put out that they themselves did not do or approve. Again this is just my opinion on the matter

2 Likes

We have a number of ideas to work around this. My idea is that will “sign up” with twitch to create the account here and then you can link other login oauth systems like Google, Twitter, GitHub (Please don’t make me integrate FaceBook, not that it can’t be done, I just don’t like FB :-P), etc. Then you can login in with Google and get logged into the account you created with your twitch login.

1 Like

Let’s be honest though. There wasn’t enough posting on the subreddit to warrant checking it more than once a day. At that rate you may as well just have a look when you get home.

1 Like

They are saying that they can not log in here because *.twitch.tv is blocked at their work so api.twitch.tv (which we use for login) is also blocked.

1 Like