itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[Spoiler discussion] So about Rogue One

Who else laughed like mad when they saw how a tentacle monster was used to read the pilot’s mind?

2 Likes

Poor @Howard_the_Octopus . Can’t have his movie debut without being mocked :smirk::stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Not seen it, yet, but I’m certain they will extract the blueprints of the death star in the end.

:itmejphi::itmejpcheese:

1 Like

super mixed feelings about the movie. visually it was exceptional with a small caveat for some of the cg humans. However the film itself felt very compressed, disjointed. It felt like there was 45 mins of footage from the first desert planet lying on the cutting room floor.

Alan Tudyk did an exceptional job lightening the tone and adding another dimension to it, and i cant help but wonder if much of the reshooting revolved around working that in.
[spoiler]
It also pisses me off that they got rid of what could have been the best character in the movie in the first act for no explainable reason[/spoiler]

1 Like

I watched it last night and I can’t remember, tentacle monster thing go anywhere? Why was that even in the movie? The CG people were pretty funny, guess we’re still firmly in the uncanny valley, tech wise.

I agree that it felt disjointed but if that was due to editing I wonder how long the script was. The movie just kept on going.

1 Like

There was a lot of reshooting. There was a bit of a hullabaloo months back when news came out about it. For instance, there’s some trailer scenes that just never happened in the movie.

Probably one of the biggest struggles of the film was finding a right tonal balance. This is a darker, more serious take on the universe (in film specifically), so there was a clear challenge there between the hopeful heroes with their corny speeches and crossed motivational wires vs. [spoiler]the physical struggle where all these heroes are testing their moral line-in-the-sand while they’re getting slaughtered.[/spoiler]

Personally though, I enjoyed it overall. Barring the monumental task of living up to the “Star Wars legacy”, it was a solid movie. Jedah might not have done much for my liking, but the final act was great for me. A lot of what I expected out of an actual “war” film in Star Wars.