itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

New SWN Show | EU-Friendly Faction(s)?

I know there are probably other priorities at the moment (i.e. a new cast member, amongst probably a billion other things), but I was wondering what people’s thoughts were to having a faction that is ‘EU-friendly?’

By that, I mean that they are mostly active for us in EU timezones.

After Adam’s first look video, I am very excited for how the new show is already shaping up, and want to get involved.

However, if faction discord discussions are primarily going on when I can’t take part I feel it will detract a little from the engagement side of things.

I don’t know how much info Patreon gives with regards to areas - or how much additional work it would be to collect and collate this - but I was interested to see if this was something other people were interested in, something being considered, or something just waay too time consuming to set up?

4 Likes

A large part (maybe half?) of Rollplay’s audience is EU based, so I would assume the factions will reflect that. I’d imagine the time difference won’t be too much of a hurdle :slight_smile:

Didn’t know that! Learn something new every day haha

Wait. How would they be timezone locked? I’m just curious because if it’s on the interwebz, then I had just assumed it’d work like everything else where the factions are active when people talk and since the community is virtually global, that should be whenever?

No I wasn’t thinking timelocking it, I was more thinking putting people from the same areas together so the likelihood is that they are active at the same sort of times.

I was thinking more in case of, for example, an EU person is in a faction with majority NA people then a lot of the ‘live’ discussion could be missed.

Okay, I getcha

but if all of the discussions are text based, then surely that wouldnt be a big deal, right?

I guess the idea is to use the voice chat in Discord for discussions. I agree however, focussing on the text chat might be benefitial so nobody’s left out :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would suggest just asking about it in the discord (once it exists and the groups are starting to be set). Discussion happens all the time in Discords, so not sure we’d really want to segment it completely based on timezones. However, I’m sure a schedule could be made for when votes (if such a thing happen) or other stuff happens and then listed as a pinned message.

Also, don’t forget that changing factions will be a thing. If the first faction you join isn’t working out timezone-wise, a change can always be made to another.

But most importantly, a lot of the actual faction discord stuff hasn’t been finalized or tested yet.

Really lookking forward to seeing how it all plays out :smiley:

5 Likes

Aaaaaall the spying will occur :smiley:

Even if you’re in the same timezone, I don’t think it’s feasible for there to be meaningful degrees of discourse with all participants when everyone is on a different schedule. Work, school, etc. The flexible standard would probably be text so everyone can participate equally on their own schedule.

2 Likes

I think they are planning on only allowing faction swapping after each turn though, so the drawback in spying on another Faction’s chat is that you wouldn’t be able to participate in your own faction for the month (or however long it is between turns, I doubt Adam will do them weekly.) Seems like decently balanced pros and cons, if not quite perfect ones.

2 Likes

Hm, all it would take is to set up your own Discord as a faction though. To which your give everyone of your faction access, including those who are currently in a different faction for spying purposes. Anyway, it will be really interesting to see how everything pans out :slight_smile:

Considering timezone differences I doubt voicechat is a good idea. I’m not even a fan of voicechat in the best of times with my friends, let alone 20 random people. No offence, but yeah. For faction stuff I’d go even more old-school; passworded sub-forums where you can just slow-chat, basically. That way you can always join in the conversation no matter the timezone you’re in.

But I suppose we’ll see what the RollPlay team is planning soon enough. I have no doubt that they’re taking global accessibility into account.

1 Like