itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

New PC, what to buy

Hello. My computer is taking it´s last breath with an old and bad CPU, really the only thing decent about it is a GPU I bought some time back and it´s time for an upgrade, i´ve never been much of a computer person, after some research I have a little bit understanding of what is required for todays games but there´s not so much info about compability of components.

But I dont really know where to start, I can´t and won´t build my PC myself, I´m a klutz :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :sweat: and would surely miss something in the process that would cause overheating or something worst. I´d be really glad if someone in the Itmenation could give me a few tips of where to read more about it or a good website that can deliver a fully built computer to a good price.

My budget is about 3-4k USD and I aim to put most money on components I dont need to change in the next 5 years so it would require to handle gaming in 4k probably. The computer i´ve thought of right now:

Chassi: NZXT H440 New Edition Silent Ultra Matte Black CHASSI @NZXT.com
CPU: Intel Core i7-6850K @ 3.60GHz
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Ed.
MOBO: MSI X99A GAMING 7
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 2666MHz 16GB 2x 8GB
HDD Boot: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD SATA 3.0, 2.5
HDD Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5" SSD SATA 3.0, 2.5
PSU: Corsair RM1000x 1000W PSU ATX 12V v2.4, 80 Plus Gold, Modular
COOLING: Corsair Hydro Series H60

So this is what I compiled on a swedish website that sells computer and I would need to pay about 4.2k USD for a fully built and ready to go PC, I already have the monitors required to get the utmost FPS from the MOBO and GPU but i´m willing to listen to any advice on what monitor I could get as a main.

I´m not sure if anything is maximised in compability, I have no idea about if the COOLING, PSU or RAM is good enough or can be cheaper.

I really don´t know if anything here can be more optimized for a good quality computer for about 4k.

Sites that can help: Logical Increments and PCpartpicker

PC part picker is great for point out incompatibilities and showing how much power the parts you input in a list will use to make sure you have a powerful enough PSU.

1 Like

Your processor has 6 cores, and it’s a GREAT Processor for multi-threaded workloads. Gaming really doesn’t take advantage of that, and you’d probably have a better experience if you went with something like an i7-7700k, because it’s single-thread speed is faster. If you’re doing anything else with the computer, maybe video editing or using FL Studio to make music, or Photoshop - yeah, 6850k will be better.

Either way - your RAM doesnt need to be 2666Mhz, since either processor will just slow it down to 2400 or 2133. You should be getting DDR4-2400 RAM so you aren’t overpaying, I’d say.

Your Boot drive doesn’t need to be 500 GB. $350 SSD, when you could spend $50 for a 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue HDD. Would your storage be slower? yes. Would that slow down your computer? I mean… no. Technically, “yes” - but not noticeably.

Anyway - with the above changes, you’re saving… what, 200 for the Proc, 300 for storage, some negligible amount for RAM - you could beef it up to 32 Gigs of RAM.

if you want to go the other way, and get AMAZING storage, then say f*** both the SSD’s. That Motherboard has an M.2 connector and it looks like it supports NVMe. Grab one of those NVMe SSD’s. Instead of a theoretical mazimum of 6 Gbps for using a SATA/eSATA SSD, you’d be getting - what - 30 Gbps for NVMe m.2? You could get a 1TB Samsung 960 for ~630 USD.

1 Like

Both AMD and Nvidia are announcing new cards at computex supposedly with them being released next month. If you aren’t in a hurry, might be worth waiting for those as prices will probably drop.

1 Like