itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

Dropped Frames 81 - General Discussion / Thoughts of a random person

So, I often have a few thoughts or additions after Dropped Frames but I’ve never felt they were worth sharing. I’m just going to post them here for once. Please tell me if this fits here or if any of what I’m thinking makes any sense whatsoever. I guess this could also become kind of like the general discussion for today’s episode if other people want to add stuff?
So my few points/remarks/questions:

• They mentioned the 500’000 subs for charity, does anyone know if those are actually completely new subs, basically just not counting resubs?
  • JP was confused about why people would still get Turbo. As a resident of a country where Amazon is basically non-existent and Amazon Prime not available, Turbo obviously still makes some sense.
  • Also about Prime, almost everyone I know (which are very few people to be honest and mostly from Europe) only got the free month of Prime trial without any plan to ever continue paying for it, which makes it seem to me like the drop of subs could possibly be bigger than you some might expect. I think I could get into the Prime Trial just to get Tyrande in Hearthstone but I couldn’t even use any of the Amazon Prime features and I’ve seen at least on the /r/hearthstone subreddit that a lot of people did just that.
  • The whole thing with the Nintendo Switch partners seems really weird to me. Almost as if they just asked all publishers something along the lines of “Hey, would you be interested in making games for our upcoming new console? Yes? Great, we’re partners now.” Does anyone have any other thoughts on this?
  • A little tidbit just for JP if he reads this (or other Monitor enthusiasts): The Surface Studio has a 28" Monitor with a resolution of 4500x3000 pixels which is around 1.6 times the amount of pixels 4k monitors have.
  • Also about the Surface Studio, the cheapest version is $3000 and it goes up to $4200 which the cast thought was a lot. From what I’ve read though, for someone working in an industry where you use this daily, that is actually pretty reasonable.
  • And a last thing about Grim Dawn: This game has been on Steam Early Access since May 2013, which might explain why they haven’t heard about it when it released or rather why there wasn’t that big of a release hype.

OK, I guess that’s it, I’m pretty anxious about posting this so please tell me if it’s utter nonsense or if such discussions and remarks have a place here.

Have a nice evening.

4 Likes

Haven’t watched dropped frames yet, but one thing that was really strange about the surface was the 8gigs of ram. That seems insanely low for the price point.

As for prime, I’m not willing to grab that until they release their video streaming service in Canada, the two day shipping thing is not worth the price of entry.

I’m skeptically on the switch hype train. I need a new tablet, so I’m wondering if I should just wait for it and use that as a substitute.

No you have a nice evening

1 Like

The overlays for Rollplay are made in 4k resolution and sized down. I have 16GB but it can struggle sometimes when there’s a lot of layers. Was thinking about getting a Surface and do simple payment plan with tax reduction but yeah no.

1 Like

Could always get the 32 gb version with the 980m gpu :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Oh that exists? On my phone at the moment. Yeah might get that makes for sense for what I do.

1 Like

Yeah, they have 3 different version, which you can see here

2 Likes

the strangest spec is the “Xbox wireless included” with the note “Xbox controller sold separately” I just don’t feel that will be the biggest selling point, but I could be wrong :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I loved that JP had March 17 floating around in his head when trying to find the date for the nintendo switch. That is the release date for Marvel’s Iron Fist :itmejphype: :itmejphype: :itmejphype: :stuck_out_tongue:

PS. I love Day9 so much. I was laughing so hard during this episode.

2 Likes

If the discussion doesn’t form in to a complete salt factory, i think it’s great to have discussion about news and games discussed in Dropped Frames.

I’d like to weigh in about the adds. I actually like that it shows the amount of adds you get when it starts to play them. The problem with that that sometimes it queues up 50 minutes of adds. There really needs to be something that checks that it doesn’t add more than one 10 minute add. At this point when i see the second 10 minute add i just refresh the page and get one add instead of waiting to spam the skip add button for the queued adds.

1 Like

I’d still advise against it. Surface Studio is an all in one product and they tend to overlap with tech cycles. A year from now these specs will look bad two years from now they will look terrible. You wont be able to upgrade the graphic card or put in more ram for better performance.

What I like is the Screen: 28" PixelSense Display Resolution: 4500 x 3000 (192 DPI) and sadly that is mounted with two arms. You can’t arm mount it. It is always gonna be a landscape monitor.

The Surface Dial meh the cintiq-27 has a similar remote but I’ve been using a Griffin PowerMate Multi-Media Control Knob mapped to short cuts for a few years with an older cintiq. Sure it looks cool putting it on the screen pop up a menu but you can same thing with a wacon pen click or using the remote menus. What I can’t do is the rainbow color on the fly color change. I think a guy name Lemec had some modified wacom driver with guitar foot peddles that could do that with so its not new to me. This rainbow seems cool but I would need to mess around with it to see if its useful from day to day. Like how much work is it to set up a custom grad for it? is that possible or does it only cycle through a color wheel?

So if your looking for performance less lag on HD brushes or with dealing with large multi layers files or video this really isn’t the device you want. Sure it’s the screen you want but they glued it to yesterdays tech.

I’m more interested in what comes out in response to this and when that happens this device will be old news.

2 Likes

Anyone have a link to the clip of Day9 finding out incontrol died?

2 Likes

Here is the link.

4 Likes

Moved your post here. Since it would get noticed a bit better :wink: Just so you don’t think you’re losing your mind over why your post is over here.

2 Likes