itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[Dogs in the Vineyard Q&A] The River Cold, The River Deep

well in Austins case he was thrown somewhat to the wolves :itmejpexcite:

6 Likes

Such a great show as always, love the work you put into these games Adam! thank you everyone for playing it was a pleasure to watch :slight_smile:

I think JP killed it , you have 3 other guys who are all you to blow it out of the water but JP totally brought it to . His characters humour was a nice counter point to the darkness of the other characters .

5 Likes

You know, just out of curiosity. Would you like to play such a Dogs game? A grand scenario, built up in these episodic town (and maybe citadel, or you know the central faith place) events would be amazing. Not that you’d need it, but I have a few ideas already of how you could incorporate bigger pictures and mysteries into a world like that. Seeing how creative you are in your worlds, I’m sure you could come up with an amazing setup for Dogs.

The system seems to be perfect for very story-heavy games, imo. But that’s just judging by this amazing cast, so not sure if that’s applicable in general.

1 Like

Eerie and unsettling. Sounds perfect for what we just watched. A moment of hard choices and no easy answers.

2 Likes

I think JP did well with engaging but also giving the other players the spotlight as we don’t get to see them often if at all on rollplay or RPing together generally

3 Likes

Your Character’s Conscience and Your Own

Does this mean that your character can’t sin? No. But it does mean that no one’s in a position to judge your character’s actions but you yourself. Your character might be a remorseless monster or a destroying angel— I the author of the game can’t tell the difference, your GM and your fellow players can’t tell the difference, only you can. As play progresses, you’ll have the opportunity to consider your character’s actions and change your character’s Stats, Traits and Relationships to reflect them. That might mean that you give your character Relationships with sins and demons, problematize his or her Traits, and burn out his or her Relationships with the Faithful— or it might mean no such thing. Sin, arrogance, hate, bloodlust; remorse, guilt, contrition; inspiration, redemption, grace: they’re in how you have your character act, not (just, or necessarily) in what’s on your character’s sheet. Those moments, in play, are what matters.
Your character’s conscience is in your hands.

7 Likes

For sure which I think in most cases he does and definitely did here , having said that for a show that had 2 hours of actually had the characters interacting with each other everyone I think had equal " screen time ". Some of that credit for how he runs campaigns he always makes sure no is left out, but I think everyone got out of the way for different people to shine at certain times.

4 Likes

I hope there will be another episode with this cast in the future. They are all great and really able to drive the story without too much input, makes for a really entertaining watch.

3 Likes

Are you kidding?! This was super dope! Kind of reminded me of the Religious Zeal of the Imperium of Man from WH40k. To be fair any game you DM Adam is exciting!

1 Like

That was possibly the best RollPlay show I have ever watched! Never knew Dogs in the Vineyard was so cool. I don’t care how infrequent is has to be, but this can’t be the last DiTV stream! I need to see Joseph and Simon and Sunlight Cave again! <3

6 Likes

I must say that this was a nice show. The game system was extremely interesting and the whole group played well together. Not even mad it’s almost 6 am.

To do a little tl;dr; thing here, so the question won’t get drowned by a wall of text:
I’d like to know if Adam you have been thinking of running a more conventional or familiar system for the players so that the one off one shot games can have three hours (or even more) time for the story of the scene of the game? Is it a bit too much to ask from a format that is much more suited to have a great show with a bit more straight forward story as you never really know what the players end up doing? If my memory serves me right, in the DnD Fandom you talked about grabbing two GURPS books and mashing them together to play some weird one shot. If this is true, how did these games usually go down as there isn’t much time to map out the story of the game? I assume that most of the players were rather familiar with the core rules of the system.

Don’t get me wrong, i like to make characters, see other people make characters and this game had a really cool system for it. The actual story that then is told with these characters tends to feel cramped and it doesn’t have any room to breathe. A plot twist at the start, in the middle or at the end would be really cool to see. A certain recent show did this nicely at the first session.

On the topic of the DitV system, I must say it seems to support one shot games extremely well as it is presented in a small confined situation where the players characters and their ways to act and react to the situations are in the spotlight and it builds up the intensity really well. There is no need to roll to take a shot at a helpless farmer but instead there is a conflict to be had to get to the shooting part. But to work for a one off one shot with a constricting* time limit… i don’t know. In the end the system was used to produce a good show and it seemed fun for the players, but just how the story went by it felt like an episode of Hercules instead of Game of Thrones. Ooh i wanted that sweet sweet Game of Thrones moment when the Dogs had given out justice with flawed information. :itmejpexcite:

*) I don’t want to and i’m not going to say short. 4 hours is not a short session, but role playing can take a while.

2 Likes

That was an amazing game! I wish DITV could become a show where we see a revolving door of guests create characters and play in one shots, and eventually returning players could pick their Dogs where they left of, but with a different group of people, wich would limit character creation at the start of the one shot to only the new Dogs…

It’s basically the cool aspects of West Marches without the scope of prep and the issues D&D brings to one shots in general… That could work really well and I would love to see it!

7 Likes

So I know I’m just echoing what has already been said, but there is power in a majority of voices, so here goes.

1. Dogs was an amazing system. I loved the “dice poker with the devil” and how it drew on people’s traits and past experiences to create an epic narrative battle. I loved how this really intensified the plot while highlighting so many of the game’s powerful religious and political themes. I loved how the dice system was simple and intuitive on the surface while having complex and meaningful decisions rife beneath. And finally I loved how the games mechanics actually mirrored real life, how when we are in conflict we actually do draw on. our strengths and past experiences to carry is through. (And how cool and real is the paradox of a dog: a flawed and broken human being tasked with unerringly administering the perfect will of the divine. What frauds and heroes are they at the same time)

2. What an amazing cast. I truly hope we can see them again soon!

3. Huge props to Adam for putting himself out there and choosing a more offbeat system that deals with somewhat controversial themes.

So please, Adam and JP, I beg of you, give us more Dogs!! Whether its a two shot like John suggested (or a multi shot) or a season with a new cast, don’t shelve it for long, keep the goodness coming!

4 Likes

This was great. I love the whole premise of the show. Religious stories are almost always interesting. Also the mechanics of the system were different and entertaining. And the guests all did great. The only thing i don’t like was that it’s a one shot. I know with the people who are in it and the busy live’s they have it would be almost impossible to make it a regular show. But once a month of once every 2 months would be great.

2 Likes

Very interesting rule set and great show! Enjoyed every minute of it. The betting and raising. Basically trying to bluff the devil. Just great. Really put a cool spin on the story. Hope to see more in the future! :itmejp10::itmejptip:

1 Like

I just wanna say i started watching RP when court of swords started [which i really love btw] Tonight was just such a pure delight to watch and thank you so much Adam and the whole cast. I am sitting here eating some pizza now thinking of that world and a story is forming in my head [which i will never write down] that to me is a prime example of great story telling. A world you want to be in and know more about.

THANK YOU.

3 Likes

I don’t know if it’s part of the setting or just Adam being Adam again, but I loved that there wasn’t any “real” supernatural shit. And maybe all those people are getting killed, because delusional young people are following the words of even more delusional old man.

3 Likes

It was cool to see what actual Magistrates could do to a Town. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for doing the OneShot and showing the prep before hand! Really enjoyable to see in action!

Using Roll20 for moving the dice around was way more intuitive for everyone that I thought it would be, every time I’ve tried the whole “drag the dice onto the page” thing, it’s been a process for the players to understand (Fiasco mostly).

Is this kind of how a “normal” session of DitV would go as far as “conflict resolution” per player? ~2 or 3 per player I mean? It was really interesting to see the difference in play where stakes weren’t needed (the stewardship transitioning) and when they were (deciding what, or what not, to say to a Dog). Are these stakes based on what the NPCs “want the Dogs to do?” from your prep so to speak?

2 Likes

my only issue with this show was it was about 60 hours too short. spectacular to watch this cast riff off one another.

2 Likes