itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[COURT OF SWORDS // PRIMORDIAL ARC // E02] Blood in the Water

sludge, death, doom and destruction

5 Likes

Poor JP.

The main problem with CR is it assumes you have the standard party and D&D5 especially is not designed to keep your party healed, as healing is weak for anyone but heal domain clerics, but to get people up fast.
Healing Word is maybe the most important spell in the game for any party that doesn’t move extremely carefully.

You either have a flexible disabler/healer in a bard/druid going for that, a cleric, or you scout scout scout.

1 Like

Adam im curious would the slime start becoming less effective as it split im wonder cuz to me logic would dictate the slimes would get weaker to attack but if they did theyre would be more damage going out?

Yea the problem with healing outside of life clerics it’s not efficient at all. Outside of a few circumstances healing is only useful for getting someone from no HP to some HP.

1 Like

Stock slimes from the book as written just halve in HP each split. Really these slimes are meant to be “fuck yer armor and fuck yer weapons”. Literally just blobs that dissolve shit, they can’t move quickly but they’re whole purpose is to dissolve stuff. Best thing to do when up against them is turn tail and run/avoid, did they HAVE to fight them? Could they have approached combat differently? (I missed the start of the combat)

There’s all kinds of factors that are hard to account for beyond party make-up. Your items, for instance, or encounter positioning, monster features that vary wildly with immunities, etc. Also player knowledge (I know that slimes do this and this, so I’m gonna fight this way). If they started out with an axe attack on R1 to follow the typical alpha strike mentality, they would have all been down 2 rounds earlier probably.

1 Like

They were trapped in the room. One basically spawned in the cave mouth blocking the exit. Also, difficult terrain.

Holy damn, what an intense session. Looking forward to what the next rollplay live live show will bring and what else we will find out about the world. I would like to thank you all for putting on this show and investing so much in it, thank you. :itmejpheart:

They split in half as long as they have 10hp or more, and keep all the same stats.

The split puddings are smaller though and when they’re reduced to medium size don’t split anymore either. p.241 MM

Which means they split once.

They are smaller, you’re right! I modified these ones slightly to have fewer resistances and split one last time.

alright just wanted to know cuz i thought theyre might be a rule that was missed that may have prevent the near TPK

How does that change their CR?

Because another split, when happening, is a doubling of possible damage output.

1 Like

I think the big difficulty ramps in this encounter were the lack of gear / armor for JP (which could have been mitigated by tossing him his stuff when the fight started, though that wouldn’t have boosted AC, he would have had material components for magic) and the slower terrain situation.

1 Like

I’m not sure it changes their CR in any meaningful way - even if it raised it, this was a Hard encounter for the players.

CR just isn’t useful, which is a shame.

As said above, it’s meant for a party covering all bases and then it’s pretty decent.

The moment you don’t have a flexible healer you can usually assume the challenge to be at least a category higher.

I feel like CR needs a rework cuz the way it is not is just jank and i feel like if it took into a question what type of setting you were in Low magic high magic ect you can design better enouncters knowing a player might have 1-2 magic items

Sure, of course - but a ruler you have to mentally adjust for doesn’t measure very well. I’m not salty about it, I just need to forget it as a system, going forward.

I think the other thing that comes up is that easy and medium encounters tend to be pretty dull viewing - the core D&D experience as designed fills in a lot of encounters that we wouldn’t want to do on a show.

1 Like

I’m happy to see that you’re moving the characters into a new situation rather then outright killing them, i’m sure the players are happy about that too.

Sucks for JP though. But he could always try the Day9 way of character creation, roll for race, roll for class, roll for everything. Might be more interesting then a stock character, though i guess the party needs a healer.

Looking forward to the live show.

2 Likes

Yeah, they’re in the sacred sanctum of a goddess, however absent Naadi might be, there’s definitely some more cool stuff to be done, here. Three failed saves means a dead PC, though, which is a shame, and it sucks that it was JP three sessions in a row. It’s hard when the dice have a story to tell that you might not want to hear.

2 Likes