itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[COURT OF SWORDS // E95 // Q&A] Embers in the Wind

That or Adam might do something similar with goals with the cultists. Does the curse on his soul still exist from the cultists. Do dragons have souls in general due to they are parts of a god.

@AdamKoebel Apologies if this is unwelcome, but I’d like to once more bring up Inspiration as a mechanic and how it’s been neglected recently. This session, there was an absolutely inspiring (pun intended) performance by Zeke embodying his character during the young student teaching moment. It’s quite understandable that both you and the players forgot to “dot the i” and give Zeke inspiration at the end of that scene, but I personally would still like to see this mechanic used, as it allows players to boost certain rolls when they deem important enough.

Is there a reason why you wouldn’t want to change the rule to a blanket “Inspiration is recharged at the start of a session”? I’m fairly certain the players would keep up their stellar performances yet at the same time it would reduce the burden on you to keep remembering to hand out inspiration during the session itself (though it wouldn’t preclude you from doing so if there is a performance warranting it). And it would give the players the certainty that they have inspiration ready each session, should it be necessary.

2 Likes

Maharib’s sword kind of reminds me of The Sword of The Rivan King from the Belgariad.
And for some reason Doug makes me think of the world hopping Hoid from any of Sanderson’s Cosmere books.

This is the eternal struggle of Inspiration - once per session is also a massive disservice and it means that inspiration can’t be pursued. It’s a terrible mechanism and I hate it to death. Chat should just shout at me about when to give it out. It’s your problem now, chat.

7 Likes

Just gonna drop here a sketch of one of the scenes that definitely happened last episode :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

oh my this is a lot

2 Likes

Ohhhh myyy… XD

Ooops… Hehehe
My bad? Maybe? :itmejplewd:

3 Likes

I have been giving inspiration at the end of sessions for players if they embody their ideal, strengthen their bond, or their flaw gets them in trouble. An inspiration each if they can get all of them. It kinda works out like fate in BW, or XP at the end of a Blades game. I let players bank all the inspiration they want but I can see a good reason to have a cap of like 3 or whatever you think appropriate. I let the PC’s determine if they followed through on these like in Blades so it is NO WORK for me as GM.

I don’t know if you wanted any input on this past “let chat yell at me” so if this is unwanted no worries. I hope its not intrusive at all.

Love the show and your stream Adam. It was a great episode.

1 Like

Another great episode. I just want to reiterate how awesome the show has been since the rules switch (I enjoyed it before but it’s definitely stepped up a notch). I was initially worried the fear of death might be removed but it seems to have a nice balance of getting to see characters stories while still having the “unsastifying” death out of nowhere that I really crave for in tapletop shows.

Off topic but Max’s impression of Bergs face opening the door is how I actually imagine Berg when he’s trying to be intimidating. It’s the weird thing that comes up DND where the really big and strong characters tend to have shit charisma and are for some reason unintimidating. I imagine when Max describes Berg doing something intimidating that’s what Berg sees in his head and the reality is much different. Is Bergs voice cracking or making a weird face in reality? Or my personal favorite I assume Berg messes up a phrase that removes any sort of scariness from the situation ie instead of saying kick your ass he flubs and says punch your butt. (He does have proficiency in it so his intimidation isn’t that bad but nowhere near as good as you would expect from Bergs description). Anyway dnd mechanics rant over. Great show as always.

2 Likes

Fair enough, my aside that you can still give inspiration when warranted might mean that the players get inspiration more often than intended. Guess on chat’s head it is then :slight_smile:

I feel like in a way this charisma issue a thing the monster manual often handles better than character creation tends to. “Charisma” in D&D terms is more than just being a smooth talker, it also is supposed to represent a general sense of presence a character has, hence why (for example) all dragons and high level devils have super-high charisma. Because when people see one they just naturally produce an “oh shit” reaction in people even if they aren’t skilled with words. This doesn’t seem to come up nearly as much with actual rolled characters.

Something I realized after reading your post. The skills tied to Charisma aren’t like the skills tied to other stats. Like Wisdom for example has Animal Handling, Insight, Perception, Medicine, and Survival. Each one of those things help you do distinctly different things. But three of the four charisma skills help you do the same thing but just changes your preferred method of doing it (persuasion, intimidation, deception).

Week 95 roll results and statistics:

Ramus Krill (DansGaming):
Roll 1
  • type: Skill check
  • Skill: Religion
  • Roll: 18
  • Modifier: +5
  • Result: 23
  • Advantage: +
Roll 2
  • type: Spell
  • Spell: Commune
Roll 3
  • type: Spell
  • Spell: Divine Intervention

Yotta Zō (Ezekiel_III):
Roll 1
  • Skill: History
  • Roll: 11
  • Modifier: +3
  • Result: 14
  • Advantage: 0
Roll 2
  • Roll: 15
  • Result: 18
Roll 3
  • Skill: Persuasion
  • Roll: 17
  • Result: 20
Roll 4
  • Skill: Perception
  • Roll: 20
  • Result: 23
Roll 5
  • Skill: Arcana
  • Roll: 18
  • Modifier: -1
  • Result: 17
Roll 6
  • Skill: Insight
  • Roll: 15
  • Modifier: +7
  • Result: 22
Roll 7
  • Skill: Performance
Roll 8
  • Roll: 4
  • Result: 11
Roll 9
  • Roll: 13
Roll 10
  • type: Save
  • Skill: Wisdom
  • Roll: 14
Roll 11
  • Roll: 2
  • Result: 5
Roll 12
  • Roll: 5
  • Result: 12
Roll 13
  • type: Save
  • Skill: Dexterity
  • Roll: 9
  • Modifier: +8

Berg (GassyMexican):
Roll 1
  • Roll: 7
  • Modifier: -2
Roll 2
  • Roll: 1
  • Modifier: +2
  • Result: 3
Roll 3
  • Skill: Athletics
  • Roll: 5
  • Modifier: +8
  • Result: 13
Roll 4
  • Modifier: +2
  • Result: 22
Roll 5
  • Skill: Performance
  • Modifier: -2
  • Result: 15

Maharib (itmeJP):
Roll 1
  • Skill: Investigation
  • Roll: 11
  • Modifier: +1
  • Result: 12
Roll 2
  • Roll: 1
  • Result: 4
Roll 3
  • Roll: 16
  • Result: 15
Roll 4
  • Roll: 2
Roll 5
  • Skill: Athletics
  • Roll: 16
  • Modifier: +9
  • Result: 25
Roll 6
  • Roll: 10
Roll 7
  • Skill: Medicine
  • Roll: 19
  • Result: 18
Roll 8
  • Roll: 13
  • Result: 14
Roll 9
  • Roll: 12
Roll 10
  • Result: 21

Average Results
  • Ramus Krill: 23.000
  • Yotta Zō: 16.615
  • Berg: 11.600
  • Maharib: 13.600

Average Rolls
  • Ramus Krill: 18.000
  • Yotta Zō: 12.308
  • Berg: 10.000
  • Maharib: 12.000

Zeke almost broke his all time record of an average roll of 14.273 with his amazing rolls in the beginning of the show. However, due to the last few rolls, it was just a bit above average. I made a graph to show how good his average rolls were during this episode:

So even after 10 rolls it would have still been a new record.

Also I’d still the roll results of the rolls in week 93 that weren’t displayed on stream so I can complete those stats (“Scorching Ray”, “Guiding Bolt”, “Spiritual Weapon” from Ramus and the “Life Drain” from Adam). Just the d20 results would be enough, since the damage rolls were shown just fine.

1 Like