itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[COURT OF SWORDS // E62 Q&A] Mo'gak & Sothe, the Father of Black Sand

I mean, this is a long scale sort of thing, but if it happens, it’s precisely the thing that Mo’gak was after - a baby with unique traits to strengthen her tribe. Whatever the traits, the babe would have Orc blood, and thus be given a place in the tribe.

If the world of Court of Swords is inspired by various eastern philosophies, the Farang definitely encompass the west, in a bunch of ways.

[quote] 3. @AdamKoebel It seems like most of the party is getting close to leveling. If you guys do decide to handle goals during the break, and somebody levels, do you plan to resolve the level up during the show, or just wait until the next episode to avoid hassle?
[/quote]

I think if they level during a long rest, we’ll just take the time to do the level up live. It’s not too slow.

2 Likes

This show just keeps getting better, and I am loving the Exalted-vibe I get from how Heaven works. I have to wonder if there is a Bureau of Fate/Sidereal-analogue in the world of CoS…

Speaking of Heaven, as hilarious as that scene was with the “404 Answer Not Found” response and refund (minus 1 gold for postage and fees, of course), the implications are scary. At first I thought it might be because they were asking about one of the Farang, but that post-scene Adam gave us indicates a much bigger problem. Either the Gods’ ability to divine the future is being hindered, or they are too preoccupied with some crisis and can’t be bothered with Diviniation requests right now. I’m not sure which scenario is worse.

Smoke (and large volumes of it) coming from the direction of the City of Brass. Could Berg’s vision of the city in flames, attacked by strange, devilish creatures, have come to fruition? The Immortal Lords did warn the crew not to listen to Innana or do what she asked of them, and while they technically didn’t fulfill their bargain with her what they did was arguably far worse. I imagine that killing one of the Sahir is going to have far reaching consequences.

Berg got his hammer back in a somewhat altered form and we got the biggest interaction in the entire series between a PC and a Farang. I’m going to save my thoughts on that for a different thread, but I’m curious if this bargain means that Berg could potentially develop psionic abilities.

A psionic berserker. Yikes.

1 Like

When the “Father of the Black Sands” has been described the word “magma” has been used (I think?). I wonder if he’s related to Imix and Agni?!

1 Like

Pretty sure that the “Father of Black Sand” (obsidian?) is an oblique reference to a volcano, so perhaps an elemental god of a volcano (this one subterranean?) like Parvat from the primordial arc. Between Sothe’s description of him and the name, that’s what I got out of it, at least.

Yeah! Thank you for being so observant - this is exactly it - the “Father of Black Sand” is worshipped at the base of a great volcano out in the deep desert. The “worm of fire” analogy came from my reading about these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lava_tube

2 Likes

[quote=“Plan_A_Has_Failed, post:22, topic:2387”]
Speaking of Heaven, as hilarious as that scene was with the “404 Answer Not Found” response and refund (minus 1 gold for postage and fees, of course), the implications are scary. [/quote]

This is the correct anxiety to have.

3 Likes

I can only chime in on the praise heaped on this episode. A really good RP-heavy session with a lot of character development and further expanding on the world. A perfect palette cleanser between the madness of the seclusum and whatever is coming crashing through the door during the liveshow.

Also, I’m proud you lasted as long as you did without throwing in some Dune-references

1 Like

@AdamKoebel If you’re willing to say, I assume Berg attuned successfully with Charlene(sp?) since you revealed her name. What can she do at base? My guess was +1 weapon since you said she’s a minor item but I don’t think you ever said.

Super stoked for the live show! You guys are awesome!

Yep! He can wave Charlene around as he desires.

I loved Salli and Ramus playing Detective & Doctor aka D&D.

2 Likes

Now that we have seen dumb, dumb Berg how cool would it be to see smart Berg if he got his hands on a Headband of Intellect even for just one session.

That would be interesting to see from a viewers perspective because Berg would be able to reflect more deeply upon what it means to be Berg

5 Likes

He might hit level 8 during the live studio session. He could use his ASI to get 10 INT. That’s normal human intelligence so it would be a drastic change for him.

2 Likes

While that’d be a great RP decision, game-play wise it really wouldn’t help berg much as a Barbarian. Most of the weird psionic/elf stuff seems to be wisdom (If I’m remembering correctly?), and I think the common reasoning in D&D is that it is better to improve one’s strengths rather than trying to become a jack of all trades by negating weaknesses. Would still be really cool though, and it completely depends on how Max wants to play it, so who knows. There’s not really a wrong choice to make as long as its fun, and a smarter Berg would certainly be a cool shift for the character.

1 Like

Oh I agree, I’m not saying he should do it. I’m just saying the possibility is there and it would be a lot more likely than finding a Headband of Intellect.

1 Like

Yeah, I think that with the new way they’re playing/gaining XP Berg could actually take +2 intelligence and it wouldn’t be too much of a detriment to their playstyle. On the other hand he could also RP the shit out of getting +2 strength because “super Berg”

1 Like

Agreed to both, he could go either way. If he was tired of RPing dumb Berg he could switch it up or lean into it.

1 Like

@AdamKoebel if Berg had not accepted Tulpa’s deal would the hammer have still been restored but in a different form i.e restored to being the apology of emperor fei or apology accepted or something? Or was accepting the deal the only way to restore the hammer at this time?

I was so disappointed that Zeke didn’t realize that the creature in the oubliette said the same thing that Tulpa did, that “There is no power stronger than choice.” @AdamKoebel If he did would that have counted as completing his quest? Or would it have still just been just a step in the right direction?

Given that the entire conversation with “Tulpa” was entirely in the mind space of Berg and no one else had access to it, Kalimat would have no way to make that connection.

Unless I’m forgetting a moment where Berg told them exactly those words. Still I believe it would be an unrealistic logical leap for Kalimat to make.

Berg did indeed say those exact words, though I don’t have an exact timestamp.