itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[COURT OF SWORDS // E55 Q&A ] Eight Lessons of the First Incarnation

have you learned the eight lessons? walked the long path?

10 Likes

I love this, thank you. So many questions asked and so few answered, my anticipation for every episode grows for every one that I watch. Much love

Bravo! :itmejp10:

So goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood. That’s all I can say right now.

That was a fun one! There’s so much stuff going on right now! :smiley:

So this was a had episode to watch even though ive seen berg deal with a bunch of shit just seeing him suffer. so adam do you think that the circles represent bergs path away from the tower and by moving from its shadow he can finally follow the star being Utrichs?

WOW!! This session was amazing. Incredible RP by everyone. Absolutely loving this whole arc.

@AdamKoebel was that the dirtiest Inspiration you’ve ever given out? (To Dan) 100% deserved btw.

Gosh, this episode was a killer one. Best one in a long while, and the past few have been really good. It constantly amazes me that the show can go from comical to serious at the drop of a hat with literally no discord between the two. Keep it up! Hopefully we will see some goals accomplished next week!!!

Here’s my theory about who those mustard people were and their relation to the Azure’s Vortex orb:
They were enslaved by the Farang and somehow Utrix saved them. The vision Ramus had from the orb was about one the wars the Farang waged in the conquest across the… galaxy? Multiverse? Cosmos?
And obviously Berg was suffering because of his dark passenger the farang and the rings were protections against them. I feel pretty right about this, but we’ll only know one the next Prep Session with Adam, which I’m eagerly waiting =D

@Qu4resma

1 Like

I believe Ramus described the Farang to one of the local inhabitants; they knew of them but they weren’t the ones who enslaved them.

If the People are who I think they are, we haven’t seen the ones who enslaved them… yet.

2 Likes

Is it bad that I’m hitting the refresh button on Patreon waiting for that post show video? Man this was a great episode.

Well, it’s strange, because the barriers were basically targeting Berg’s soul passenger who is presumably “their enemy”, which implies he is part of The Other? Meaning that they are the Farang, but the invader in the woods from long ago is something else maybe? But then there’s one of them within Utrix’s layer according to The People, but it’s distinctly separate from The Other according to them. Somebody is Farang, I dunno.

1 Like

If my theory is correct, the enemy of the People use the same kind of power as the Farang; [spoiler]psionics[/spoiler]. It’s possible the barriers were erected specifically to target anyone exhibiting those powers.

2 Likes

I loved Ramus’ little pep talk/save during Berg’s ordeal. He’s like the shitheel Samwise to Berg’s Frodo <3

Great episode all in all, (technical issues aside) and it worked excellent for the mp3 format with it’s RP-heavyness.

1 Like

I think you’re right on this one. The Court of Swords cosmology is definitely outside the assumed norms in the DMG, but during the last hour or so it clicked for me that “the People” is a term that comes up in one particular corner of the planes: [spoiler]the Gith. Which makes me think the people living inside Utrix’s realm are the CoS equivalent of githzerai, while the Other would equate to githyanki? I remember comparing them to the Farang way back before we had a name for them, but a bunch of monks living in a realm of chaos is a pretty heavy nod toward the githbois.[/spoiler]

Edit: Wait, did @AdamKoebel use this session to [spoiler]sneak Zerthimon into CoS? :itmejpwtf:[/spoiler]

2 Likes

Definitely, read further.

[spoiler]Read upon the eight circles of Zerthimon and thou shalt be enlightened.
Githzerai hype!

[spoiler]http://torment.wikia.com/wiki/Unbroken_Circle_of_Zerthimon[/spoiler]

Is Berg’s dark passenger an Illithid?[/spoiler]

3 Likes

Whelp, that’s big.

Adam, I don’t think you’ll be answering this question anymore but I just have to know. Were you inspired by the master/slave dialectic process in Hegels phenomenology of spirit when you wrote the lessons of this episode?

1 Like

Man… this episode was great but at the same time, at least for me, was quite frustrating.
I know Max understood what was going on, wasn’t frustrated about it, at least not for long, and embraced the situation for the metaphors and the rp and the development of the character, cause it did make sense for his character and for the story, but I couldn’t avoid feeling a bit frustrated for him.
There, as far as we and the players knew, was no way around it, there was no riddle, there was no trick, you either took the damage or stayed behind. Mechanically didn’t sound like the best option for it risks players being frustrated and not having fun with the situation because there is just nothing they can do about it and as for the metaphor, well, surely there where a million other ways to approach it.
Anyway, Max is a great sport and quickly found that for the good of the show and our entertainment it could be really interesting to follow through and it ended up being really awesome, and everyone stepped up to the plate accordingly to make it a fantastic episode.

1 Like

Finally caught up on vods, and man this was great.

Really interested in the ramifications of the rings for Berg as well… like, does him seeing his “inner being” collapsing onto a pile of corpses mean it’s actually dead? I know he still got hurt the last two rings, but that has to mean something right?