itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[Court of Swords E22 Q&A] Hail to the King, Baby

If the mysterious figure we saw in the post credit scene in the live show is who we think (read hope) it is then we know he met a Brass Dragon at one point and helped it kill a powerful wizard.

2 Likes

HOW VERY STRANGE ALL THESE MYSTERIES ARE

3 Likes

I REALLY want to see JP play a Fantastical Wizard of some sort for his next character. I think we’ve had enough clerics and heavy armor wearers for a while.

I agree somewhat however like you’ve said before the fun of CoS is the difficulty. The difference between the cast that begin CoS and where they are now is drastic. It would be fun to see JP attempting to master the Wizard in 5E.

There are some really powerful defensive Wizard options. I’d love to see him play an Abjuration Wizard with Mage Armor and Shield. Hearing JP yell sorry Adam I cast Shield you don’t hit!

2 Likes

hm? I don’t remember a mysterious figure in the post credits scene of the live show, just the scientist we didn’t see later (and the staff the king was holding for that matter).

Must know more!

1 Like

Maybe I was misinterpreting things. I wasn’t sure if the priest and “Grigori” were the same person. In the scenes with the priest he always had a staff/scepter, and it wasn’t implied that he was like veiled in shadows or anything, but in the post credit scene the figure in the darkness was glowing green and had a sword.

On another note, I was watching the post show and Max said he would have 29HP after leveling up. I don’t know if he just misspoke but he should have 39HP.

1 Like

Hey @AdamKoebel I was reading through the Player’s Handbook and on page 197 for Damage at 0 Hit Points, it says

“If you take any damage while you have 0 hit points, you suffer a death saving throw failure. If the damage is from a critical hit, you suffer two failures instead.”

Now both you and Steven have been making the PCs take 2 failures even on non crits for as long as I have been watching both West Marches and Court of Swords so I just wanted to bring this to your attention if you weren’t aware of it.

1 Like

Attacks within 5 feet of an unconscious enemy automatically crit, which is usually where the 2 fails come from.

3 Likes

Now that you mention it I do remember hearing that rule for 4e at least, though I can’t find it in the 5e PHB, do you have a page number? I vaguely recall sometime in West Marches where someone died in a fire and were still getting 2 death saves failures at a time. It was also never specified that the attacks are crits both when Adam describes them or in the PHB so it was really confusing me.

It’s PG 292 in the PHB, see below:

3 Likes

Great episode and an amazing way to end the arch.
Thanks to the cast and Adam. I am going to miss Day9 :heart:

Ah, it’s under Conditions. Thanks a bunch! But that means that ongoing effects only cause 1 death save fail right?

I don’t what you mean by ongoing effects, can you explain and then I can answer for you.

Spells and ranged attacks…

Well anything ranged wouldn’t work. However someone could point blank (5ft) shoot a bow or spell attack at an unconscious person. They would get disadvantage for attacking next to someone and advantage for attacking someone unconscious meaning they would just roll a single die. On a hit it would be an auto crit.

Has anyone recorded “Snidge Gonna Give it to Ya!” yet?

2 Likes

I don’t have the PHB so my question is : Does it say that you get unconscious condition when you go to 0 hp? Or any other like prone?

pg292

Unconcious
• An unconscious creature is incapacitated, can’t move or speak, and is unaware of its surroundings
• The creature drops whatever it’s holding and falls prone.
• The creature automatically fails Strength and Dexterity saving throws.
• Attack rolls against the creature have advantage.
• Any attack that hits the creature is a critical hit if the attacker is within 5 feet of the creature.

Also realistically, unless your clothes got snagged on some branches and you aren’t that heavy, you would fall prone if you were unconscious.

@boostgeek posted what unconscious condition mean. What I’m asking is if I go unconscious when I go to 0 hp?
Because if I don’t that means I can still talk and I don’t get that nasty penalty.