itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

[Court of Swords E22 Q&A] Hail to the King, Baby

Your words and position are clear. You’re just wrong. It’s that simple. And forgive me for wanting to edit out my frustration… which I didn’t name call. I just wanted to stick to trying to get something constructive out of you instead of the same argument which doesn’t fly on multiple levels.

1 Like

You said the wording was the same, i said it was different, you said i was wrong, i showed they were different you said i was arguing the same point.

But hey i guess saying and showing are the same thing right?[spoiler] (get it? because they aren’t the same and it mirrors the argument itself?)[/spoiler]

I didn’t want to argue anything else because you never acknowledged there was a difference but insisted they were the same and should function the same. You confuse attacking on reaction with taking an opportunity attack using your reaction, an opportunity attack is specifically a single melee attack triggered by something. It minor but this stuff is all very specific.

Why does one explicitly refer to the attack action and one not?

Sir @AdamKoebel :itmejptip:
Well done. The twins paranoïa was the best, I almost called out the right monster :itmejplol:
(Watch the Patreon vid :itmejploot:)

So in this Patreon vid, you mentioned some world/faction mechanism ? Are you back at your endless SWN spreadsheets :itmejpgmlol: ?
More seriously, are you using Blades’s tier system ? A simplify SWN Faction rules ? Or a simple mindmap with points ? It is the first time you clearly mentioned background mechanism so maybe it isn’t setup yet but I’m curious :persevere: (pls 1h spreadsheet madness gm vids pls :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

1 Like

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but the rules state (PHP 194): Regarding the Ready action To do (get the jump on an enemy, or set a trigger) so, you can take the Ready action on your turn so that you can act later in the round using your reaction.
If you argue that a reaction is uslually constrained to e singel melee
And refering to @Monstercloud1’s previous statement, according to the MMP 11 A creature that can make multiple attacks on its turn has the Multiattack ability.
A creature can’t use Multiattack when making an opportunity attack, which must be a single melee attack.
In my interpretation is that it should be treated as a reaction with allowance for spells and ranged, but not multiple attacks.Considering the a Ready action uses your reaction, which is narratively speaking happening in a split second, I’d argue that shouldn’t work with multiattack.

1 Like

It might be a good idea to start another thread about the fine text of ready action. While the context of manticore is relevant to the episode, the meat of the conversation has shifted away from that. It’s also better way to get other people involved with the conversation.

2 Likes

The problem here is that the phrasing “can make on its turn” does carry the limitation of only on the turn.
It CAN ON THE TURN does mean it can not when it’s not the turn.
( I can buy the book on the day I get my paycheck.)

Unlimited use of multiattack would be “can make multiple attacks” without the added qualifier.

I misread that at first, too, but I’d say we have another rogue bonus action situation going on here where two features that work exactly the same (multi attack to extra) have slightly differing wording.

It’s sadly a very common occurrence in D5, where you wonder why they rephrased something, if there’s an actual mechanical difference and the answer is: No, they just suck at consistent wording.

I’d say, because extra attack modifies the basic attack action in a new way when you level up, so they wanted to stress the changes and limitations to the normal attack action, while multiattack is presented as a monster feature you just use.

Also, see above.

1 Like

Am I mistaken, or was Max’s max hp on lvl 3 31 hp? He kept calculating it with being at 21 I think?

QQ for azure. As Npc’s go shes been one of the most likeable you have ever made.

3 Likes

True dat. I hope they go on a quest to revive her. Bergzure 4 ever.

2 Likes

[details=Summary][quote=“Karamor, post:89, topic:891, full:true”]
_The problem here is that the phrasing “can make on its turn” does carry the limitation of only on the turn. _
It CAN ON THE TURN does mean it can not when it’s not the turn.
( I can buy the book on the day I get my paycheck.)

Unlimited use of multiattack would be “can make multiple attacks” without the added qualifier.

I misread that at first, too, but I’d say we have another rogue bonus action situation going on here where two features that work exactly the same (multi attack to extra) have slightly differing wording.

It’s sadly a very common occurrence in D5, where you wonder why they rephrased something, if there’s an actual mechanical difference and the answer is: No, they just suck at consistent wording.

I’d say, because extra attack modifies the basic attack action in a new way when you level up, so they wanted to stress the changes and limitations to the normal attack action, while multiattack is presented as a monster feature you just use.

Also, see above.
[/quote][/details]
If i CAN where trousers when it is between 10:00 and 11:00 does that mean i cannot wear trousers when it is not between 10:00 and 11:00?

You are talking about a CAN ONLY statement.[quote=“Gert_julius, post:87, topic:891”]
Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but the rules state (PHP 194): Regarding the Ready action To do (get the jump on an enemy, or set a trigger) so, you can take the Ready action on your turn so that you can act later in the round using your reaction.

If you argue that a reaction is uslually constrained to e singel melee
[/quote]
If you argue that a reaction is usually constrained to single melee then you are implying the rules not necessarily following them.

:itmejphi:toodles!

As you can not do this without the rules specifically allowing it through extra attack or multi attack this is a can only statement.

Edit: The rule is one attack per action. This monster can make more attacks. Under what condition? If they happen on its turn.

3 Likes

Great episode, laughed a lot and finally a story arc with a satisfying end (rip Azure though). I don’t know if Sean or Max are reading this, but it’d be great if Berg got the ring from Snidge, he did pick it up after all.

@ the guys discussing the manticore’s multiattack: I agree some rules lawyering is fine, but Adam already made his call in this thread. When the GM makes a call after having had the chance to review the rules, it should be over. So please just stop or move it to a separate thread or so.

Repeating myself is a popular theme in this thread, but it’s already been said that Adam can run the game he wants to. The argument that’s going on is why he can do that. I’m saying, “He’s doing this because this is his game because he’s disagreeing with the design”. UN’s argument is, “Well the wording is vague enough so that it’s still within RAW/RAI.”

I’m personally done with it.

1 Like

@AdamKoebel So you think that Religous Elephant Artifact could prove the claim the Court of Swords holds on the valley? If so, could Berg @GassyMexican exchange it for his freedom?

I wonder what direction the story is going to take now. I’d love to see a city arc again where they can interact with a lot of NPCs.

2 Likes

It’s a valuable artifact, to be sure, but who knows where the Rock Gnome King got it from. Finding out the back story of that item could be a side quest in and of itself!

1 Like

Yeah, now that the party is Berg and Azriel, we’ll have to see what they want to do - what keeps them working together and who their new companion is. The story of the Xulin Valley is far from over, I think…

1 Like

I, personally, would like to see them return to the monastery town to inform Azure Vortex’s brother of her fate. That could perhaps lead into a city based quest line.
I’m sure whatever happens will be fun though.

2 Likes

Great episode. Guys stop arguing, you CANNOT ready a multiattack. This is fact, the person who wrote rules has clarified that this is RAW and RAI.

However Adam is the DM he can change anything he likes, that’s the fun of being the DM.

3 Likes

I was going to sleep last night and reading through the monster manual and the room with the sand and the wind and the illusions seemed awfully similar to the area around a brass dragon’s lair.

-Tracks appear in the sand within 6 miles of a brass dragon’s lair. The tracks lead to safe shelters and hidden water sources while also leading away from areas that the dragon prefers to remain undisturbed. (the party couldn’t figure out what the tracks were or where they were leading. They did find a pool of water though.

-Images of Large or smaller creatures haunt the desert sands within 1 miles of the dragon’s lair. These illusions move and appear real, although they can do no harm.

The actual lair itself is categorized as having a strong wind about it as well as sand.

Adam described to Raziel that the creature was rumored to be seen in the desert and used illusions to protect itself. It certainly could be something else, but I can’t help but wonder (if it is a dragon), how it fits into the plot and how it got into a mountain. Though I suppose perhaps it was a friend of the rock gnome king before he became corrupt, or just happens to be there.

2 Likes