itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

Consider investing in lanterns

I noticed the party often have problems with visibility and sight in dark places. I was reading through the players handbook to see if there was anything better than the light spell for my mage as we have the same problem sometimes in our games. I found lanterns are amazing, a hooded lantern gives you 30 foot bright light, 30 foot dim and last for 6 hours, also you can put it down and it won’t go out. You also get Bulleye lanterns which give light in a 60 foot cone of bright light and 120 foot of dim light. they also last for 6 hours per pint of oil which is cheap as heck.

It seems like a cheap investment that could save the party allot of trouble.

ps love the show

2 Likes

About the Light spell… could they cast it on a bunch of rocks and throw them around the area?

I like the lanterns, though. Are they attached to a person? Is it a action to carry one, or put it down/pick it up? Don’t have books here…

Light spell can only have one object at a time being lit, though my mage quite commonly slings a light stone into a big chamber to get a feel then recasts it on our fighters shield.

On the second question, you need a free hand and putting it down i think would be an action…though you could drop it which isn’t an action but then its probably gonna break.

edit: actually looking at the light spell ( http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Light ) its not a concentration spell… so maybe you can cast it multiple times. Our dm hasn’t let us do this though so god(dm) knows

edit two: i missed a bit “The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.” darn :S

Thankfully I believe all the players have darkvision now.

it says The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action. so when you cast it on a second object, the first spell ends. I think.

but if your group was made of bards, clerics, sorcerers and wizards, everyone could do it … ^^

alternatively there’s this feat:

Magic Initiate
Choose a class: bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, warlock, or wizard. You learn two cantrips of your choice from that class’s spell list.
In addition, choose one 1st-level spell from that same list. You learn that spell and can cast it at its lowest level. Once you cast it, you must finish a long rest before you can cast it again.
Your spellcasting ability for these spells depends on the class you chose: Charisma for bard, sorcerer, or warlock; Wisdom for cleric or druid; or Intelligence for wizard.

So Humans (variant) could learn Light as any class…

Imaging a Barbarian who can cast Light, Spare the Dying and Cure Wounds… Thunderclap (ee), Blade Ward and TASHA’S HIDEOUS LAUGHTER :itmejpo:

Another spell that one could use Dancing Lights. It provides three floating balls that provide 10 dim light and can be moved around with a bonus action. Light is usually better as it has longer duration and no one has to move it around. What they provide is that you can shine light to something that us up to 120 ft away. The 3 x 10ft is decent lighting for dungeon or anything that is inside, but it’s rather limited in outside use.

Dancing light is also a concentration spell, so yeah use light instead you won’t end up in the dark because someone hit you.

1 Like

Barbarians cannot cast spells while raging so unfortunatly that would still kinda suck

I don´t know about the rules in DnD but what about torches? why can´t they just buy some oil and whenever they´re at an caveentrance they supply on woodsticks? use clothes from from fallen enemies… seems more manageable than carrying lanterns around?

Characters in CoS have 10 torches by default from character creation if they have a dungeoneers or explores backpack. I think all of them have one of those packs. Torches just have the same light radius as the spell Light.

Nonetheless usually we tend to have one carrying a torch and someone has an item with Light spell. Lantern is useful if you want more lighting.

Depends. If you pick up a spell that’s good for setting yourself up for a fight or as an “alpha strike”, then an Initiate Barbarian can still be decent. You only get one spell per long rest anyway, and most melee classes don’t have much opportunity for spellcasting after the first round.