itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

Classical music suggestions?

I mean, the title kinda says it all lol. I already have 1812 Overture, O Fortuna, and Ride of the Valkyries because those are must-haves, but what are some classical musics others recommend?

1 Like

The big three - Mozart, Beethoven and Bach (Haydn is in here too but not generally as one of the Big Three)

Holst - The Planets
Claude Debussy: Nocturnes - Clouds (actually the whole Nocturnes is great)
Wagner’s Götterdämmerung
Mahler’s Kindertotenlieder
Almost anything from Ravel

With those you should be able to find some great stuff through youtubes recommended vids :smiley:

4 Likes

i’d recommend a contemporary classical musician called Ezio Bosso
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEB_3cxzKv8

3 Likes

I am partial to The Four Seasons by Vivaldi.

I’ll also echo the suggestion for Holst. Mars, the Bringer of War is one of my all time favorite hype songs.

3 Likes

Edvard Grieg - Peer Gynt
Prokofiev - Romeo and Juliet Suite 3 No. 6 - The Death of Juliet

2 Likes

Great suggestions in this thread. I would add Johann Strauss II and the Radetzky March by his father Johann Strauss. I especially like hearing a live version of the march because of the audience clapping along.

I really like hearing some opera tracks from the 3 tenors as well as

I’ll second Drumurboy’s recommendation of Debussy.

Also some of my own suggesions are:

Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 and No. 3 He’s far and away my favorite composer

Franz List’s Hungarian Rhapsodies
Aaron Copland’s Appalachian Spring and others
Elgar’s Cello Concerto & Violin Concerto
Dvořák Symphony 5
Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue

I could recommend a ton more but I should really get back to work :itmejps:.

---- Sorry for the video dump, but I still feel like just this is only scratching the surface ----

Bach Moonlight Sonata (If you haven’t heard this yet, it’s a classical staple, and you must)
Chopin Ballade No. 1
Chopin’s Nocturnes by Daniel Barenboim here (If there’s a MUST listen, it’s the 2nd to last song, No. 20 in C# Minor) Check out all Barenboim’s other performances. Great stuff)
Bach Cello Suite No. 5; Prelude (EVERYONE knows Cello Suite No. 1 - but this one is criminally under appreciated)
Beethoven Sonata No. 8 Op. 13 (Pathetique) (Speaking of Barenboim - here’s some classic Bach performed masterfully)
Dvorak American
Schubert String Quartet No. 14 in D Minor
Wagner Der Ring Des Nibelungen (I direct your attention to around the 52 minute mark - Siegfried’s death and funeral music. Drumurboy nailed it with the Gotterdämmerung. Love the Wagner Tuba)
Beethoven Appasionata
Chopin Fantasie Impromptu

Interesting Etudes
Winter Wind
La Campanella

(Not quite “Classical Music”… but German Lieder)
Dichterliebe
Winterreise

2 Likes

Hi, sorry for intruding, i´m by no means a big divulger of classical music but I have a kind of twisted love for classical music, it takes me to an emotional rollercoaster that I sometimes must experience, classical music brings me to that philosophical plane where deeper feelings has been transformed to sound.

I´m fond of the use of classical music in impactful scenes in movies.

Claude Debussy: Clair De lune is famous and alot of people know it from the movies but beyond that, it´s one of my favourite when im feeling down and listening to it gives me hope.

This is lazy by me but there´s a compilation of great classical music used in movies:
Hans Zimmer - The Classics

1 Like

Since you have the 1812 overture maybe you would like some other Tchaikovsky music? Like the Nutcracker suite.

1 Like