itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

Character Q&A: Azriel (Dan)

How would you differentiate Azriel’s personality from Baern?

Azriel is definately a bit lost at the moment because he hasn’t had anytime to stop and reflect yet. Things are moving too fast too quickly for him to commune with himself, the heavens, and most importantly Baldur. I have a vision for the weapon that it needs time to fully awaken and slowly regain enough of its power to assist Azriel in his ultimate goal for it too has the same goal at least in part. This weapon is far more than it seems but it’s power has been locked away deep inside and currently it only has enough juice to give brief tidbits of vague advice through visions. Why it has chosen or was lead to Azriel is yet to be seen.

When Azriel has some alone time we will get into how he feels about the death of Raziel. Needless to say he’s quite upset because Baldur promised him that raziel would lead to him getting his vengeance. But Baldur’s advice and visions are often vague and mysterious so perhaps everything has happened exactly as it was meant to.

Azriel currently doesn’t have much love or affection for any of his party members as he barely knows them, he needs them because he knows it’s dangerous to go alone.

3 Likes

Baern was an idealist fool that was too inexperienced and naive to understand just how evil and cruel the world could be outside of a monastery.

Azriel sees the world for what it is, cruel and unforgiving with pockets of beauty and light amongst the darkness.

5 Likes

Thanks Dan, I really appreciate the insight.

1 Like

You have any plans to multi-class at all down the line?

Hey Dan! Haven’t seen tonight’s episode yet but excited to throw a question down regardless! Adam has established (as I understand) that the Arcana, from the perspective of humans at least, are somewhat abstract and not really personified (an idea which I think is suuuuuuper cool and am currently trying out in my own campaign with its own pantheon, players are diggin it so far). Quoting the first zine (someone let me know if I shouldn’t be doing this, not sure if this is a breach of patron-creator confidentiality!)

The Gods are distant and powerful, and represent the steps a life takes from ignorance to knowledge, from birth to death. They are neutral and uncaring and do not fight amongst themselves… They employ no servants, they take no forms among the people, and their power is said to flow to mortals by way of The Fountain, a magical font in the centre of all the worlds.

I recall it being said in a recent episode something to the effect of the Aasimar (blanking on the in-universe name) almost look down on humans for their attempts to turn the Fountain into something they can understand via the Arcana. How do you think Azriel’s belief in the Fountain differs from that? Curious about your general thoughts, but I guess the core thing I am wondering about is if the Fountain from Azriel’s perspective also has that distant and neutral feeling the Arcana has going on, or if the Fountain has a bit more “personality” and maybe a bigger stake in “good vs evil”. I got more of an Abrahamic vibe from the Fountain so far, which makes sense given the whole angel thing.

Can’t wait to listen to tonight’s episode (coughcough someone-upload-the-mp3 coughcough :slight_smile: ), thanks for considering my question!

Paladins are already a mashup of fighter and cleric so I’ll probably stick with pure classing it at least until level 11. Although the campaign is so lethal I doubt Azriel will live till high level lol

5 Likes

That’s a fine list. I also recommend Heroism. Maybe you can pick up Command in place of Wrathful Smite as Divine Smite and Channel Divinity can cover for what it does and Command is not a concentration spell.

As far as i remember Azriel still has the magic crystal that can hold three spells. What spells do you have cast on it for later use? I remember you mentioning it somewhere, but i can’t remember and i’m not sure if it would be true anymore. Also, if possible, could you give out the specifics of the item or the name for it?

Do you wish you would have chosen Protector aasimar instead of Scourge? Constitution bump would have been to Wisdom and the power would have been the power to Fly instead of AoE damage. Also, do you see that Azriel could go trough the transformation to change to another type of aasimar? For me it seems that the Scourge feels like the best fitting state anyways, but it might be that he would fall in to darkness to accomplish his goals. Can we has Arthas? :itmejpgmleft::itmejpexcite::itmejpgmright: Isn’t his sword already giving him visions? :wink:

See Galahan. Though, that one did eventually fall to the dark side :itmejpgmleft::itmejpgmlol::itmejpgmright:

Thanks for this Q&A, Really awesome idea!
My question, Is Azriel playing out how you expected him to play out? If not, Whats different?

What kind of background and background alignment choices did you choose when making Azrael? Was there motivation beyond mechanics that fed into choosing both the scourge type Aasimar and vengeance tree paladin?

Are you happy with the number of “smite” spells available to you?

What are you favorite “smiting” spells?

[spoiler]Are you glad no one will ever call you “Raziel” by accident now?[/spoiler]

So Azriel basically got sent here to babysit Raziel, but Azriel has personal motivations for vengeance (at least from what I understand), but you’re also sort of getting messages from the Fountain. How would you characterize Azriel’s morals? Maybe that’s spoiling potential things to ask, but if Azriel is forced to pick between his mission and his personal mission and his companions, where does he fall? And is his personal vendetta specific?

Also (I can’t find it), is your healing racial a bonus action or a full action, and does it note whether it’s safe to cast in melee? As far as I remember there’s been no penalty for Lay on Hands so far; I didn’t know if there were specifics on your racial heal.

Thanks for making this thread Dan <3

1 Like

[spoiler]Rest in peace, Tian Shi[/spoiler]

next time please use spoiler blur tool to hide spoilers.

Just so you know it was a spoiler for me

4 Likes

Even better would be an indicator to when the spoil occurs… or what kind of spoiler it might be…

Like this: (Week 93 Spoiler) [spoiler]somebody does something[/spoiler]

…that way we don’t blindly guess whether we don’t want to see the spoiler or have already passed its moment. Maybe that would not really apply to the episodes’ Q&A threads, but anywhere else. Like here!

I think this was an issue before… switching to the suggestion thing…

2 Likes

I apologize I didn’t consider that people hadn’t seen it, that was silly of me, it won’t happen again. I need to learn how more about the message boards as well cause I didn’t know how to blur it out, my ignorance of that isn’t an excuse, just for context on my part, again apologies it won’t happen anymore.

7 Likes

We all make mistakes! Don’t beat yourself up about it though. [spoiler]Dan spoiled that his character had died on Twitter by posting about making his new character for Tuesday’s D&D[/spoiler].

1 Like

I like all of your characters a lot. Azriel was my favorite so far. I am not 100% caught up yet. Just got to the two-shot. I had an interesting theory (for lack of a better word) that since (Spoilers up to week 40)

[spoiler]Your current/former character is lacking a soul and since Azriel’s soul is one that is reincarnated through the fountain that somehow the possibility exists that somehow Azriel’s soul will become merged with Ramus’s body. I know its highly unlikely but its fun to think about as it brings about a certain irony not just as a player of both characters, but also as essentially merging 2 characters that have very different personalities.[/spoiler]

Anyway you do a great job on the show as well as the rest of the cast and watching you grow and become better at playing as your character episode by episode has been a very fun experience. Keep up the good work.