itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

Character Q&A: Azriel (Dan)

Do you have any questions about my character or the choices I’ve made?

13 Likes

What spells do you have right now and do you feel like you should change them out for something else?

1 Like

I currently only have 3 spell slots and smites use up those slots in addition to spells. I often feel the need to save spells for smites.

I currently have these prepared:

• Bane
  • Hunter’s Mark
  • Thunderous Smite
  • Wrathful Smite
  • Bless
  • Shield of Faith
  • Cure Wounds
2 Likes

Hey Dan, how do you plan on handling the new twist of working for the criminal underground with your character being a holy man? I can foresee this being something that could lead to awesome character growth and struggle going onward.

Seeing that you’re really enjoying being a pally, are you “happy” your previous character died?

What do you think of Jp’s new character and what does Azriel think?

PD: Great episode today, that last RP scene was awesome!

Vengeance Paladins will work for demons, if they could complete their Oath.

Not huge deal really.

Azriel has taken an oath of vengence against the Mara and will do what it takes to kill the Mara responsible for his brother’s death. If he has to get his hands dirty to achieve a far greater good than so be it. Killing a Mara will have hopefully a dramatic shift on the world and free a much greater darkness than some greedy bandits.

The Devil clan is a path to knowledge and power to accomplish his ultimate goal. He has no love for the Devils, Grasping hands, etc. but will use them as best he can to achieve his ultimate goal.

I Miss Ramus as both as a character and his role in combat. I love clerics and spells. Spells make the game so much fun,

2 Likes

Has Azriel done much introspection about his mission? About the deaths of Volnach and Raziel?

Life seems to be coming at him quickly ever since he came to the city. Is he just too forward thinking to mull on it? Does he blame himself at all for what happened with the Rock King?

He seems to be in this weird situation, like a young adult telling themselves “I’m gonna help save the world!” but with no idea where to start. If Azriel ever gets an idea of where a Mara threat is, how will he convince Berg and Jubilant, or whoever survives by that point, to come help him on his quest? You’ve shown he’s not suicidally foolish in his ideals, so I wonder what he might do to try to keep his comrades at his side if/when their interests diverge.

How would you differentiate Azriel’s personality from Baern?

Azriel is definately a bit lost at the moment because he hasn’t had anytime to stop and reflect yet. Things are moving too fast too quickly for him to commune with himself, the heavens, and most importantly Baldur. I have a vision for the weapon that it needs time to fully awaken and slowly regain enough of its power to assist Azriel in his ultimate goal for it too has the same goal at least in part. This weapon is far more than it seems but it’s power has been locked away deep inside and currently it only has enough juice to give brief tidbits of vague advice through visions. Why it has chosen or was lead to Azriel is yet to be seen.

When Azriel has some alone time we will get into how he feels about the death of Raziel. Needless to say he’s quite upset because Baldur promised him that raziel would lead to him getting his vengeance. But Baldur’s advice and visions are often vague and mysterious so perhaps everything has happened exactly as it was meant to.

Azriel currently doesn’t have much love or affection for any of his party members as he barely knows them, he needs them because he knows it’s dangerous to go alone.

3 Likes

Baern was an idealist fool that was too inexperienced and naive to understand just how evil and cruel the world could be outside of a monastery.

Azriel sees the world for what it is, cruel and unforgiving with pockets of beauty and light amongst the darkness.

5 Likes

Thanks Dan, I really appreciate the insight.

1 Like

You have any plans to multi-class at all down the line?

Hey Dan! Haven’t seen tonight’s episode yet but excited to throw a question down regardless! Adam has established (as I understand) that the Arcana, from the perspective of humans at least, are somewhat abstract and not really personified (an idea which I think is suuuuuuper cool and am currently trying out in my own campaign with its own pantheon, players are diggin it so far). Quoting the first zine (someone let me know if I shouldn’t be doing this, not sure if this is a breach of patron-creator confidentiality!)

The Gods are distant and powerful, and represent the steps a life takes from ignorance to knowledge, from birth to death. They are neutral and uncaring and do not fight amongst themselves… They employ no servants, they take no forms among the people, and their power is said to flow to mortals by way of The Fountain, a magical font in the centre of all the worlds.

I recall it being said in a recent episode something to the effect of the Aasimar (blanking on the in-universe name) almost look down on humans for their attempts to turn the Fountain into something they can understand via the Arcana. How do you think Azriel’s belief in the Fountain differs from that? Curious about your general thoughts, but I guess the core thing I am wondering about is if the Fountain from Azriel’s perspective also has that distant and neutral feeling the Arcana has going on, or if the Fountain has a bit more “personality” and maybe a bigger stake in “good vs evil”. I got more of an Abrahamic vibe from the Fountain so far, which makes sense given the whole angel thing.

Can’t wait to listen to tonight’s episode (coughcough someone-upload-the-mp3 coughcough :slight_smile: ), thanks for considering my question!

Paladins are already a mashup of fighter and cleric so I’ll probably stick with pure classing it at least until level 11. Although the campaign is so lethal I doubt Azriel will live till high level lol

5 Likes

That’s a fine list. I also recommend Heroism. Maybe you can pick up Command in place of Wrathful Smite as Divine Smite and Channel Divinity can cover for what it does and Command is not a concentration spell.

As far as i remember Azriel still has the magic crystal that can hold three spells. What spells do you have cast on it for later use? I remember you mentioning it somewhere, but i can’t remember and i’m not sure if it would be true anymore. Also, if possible, could you give out the specifics of the item or the name for it?

Do you wish you would have chosen Protector aasimar instead of Scourge? Constitution bump would have been to Wisdom and the power would have been the power to Fly instead of AoE damage. Also, do you see that Azriel could go trough the transformation to change to another type of aasimar? For me it seems that the Scourge feels like the best fitting state anyways, but it might be that he would fall in to darkness to accomplish his goals. Can we has Arthas? :itmejpgmleft::itmejpexcite::itmejpgmright: Isn’t his sword already giving him visions? :wink:

See Galahan. Though, that one did eventually fall to the dark side :itmejpgmleft::itmejpgmlol::itmejpgmright:

Thanks for this Q&A, Really awesome idea!
My question, Is Azriel playing out how you expected him to play out? If not, Whats different?