itmeJP Community

itmeJP Community

Can we just talk about how AMAZING Cowboy Bebop is for a second?

(Spoilers for Cowboy Bebop). If you haven’t seen it, go watch it right now.

Yes it has taken me this long to watch it I’m literally the worst. So without further adieu, I will now gush.

I’m almost speechless about how perfect it is to me. I thought I’d never find an anime I thought was more complete and well made than FMA: Brotherhood, but I’m thinking maybe now I have.

Granted, “Space Wild West” is easily my favourite sub genre, so that definitely helps. I’ve said before that Swan Song might well be my favourite show. Not just Rollplay wise, and Firefly is very close to my heart as well. So I’m glad to have gotten around to seeing another that was so well done.

The music, the aesthetic, and the balance of comedy and very serious themes are all so good! The fact that it’s just one season is another thing that I really like. It’s a complete, satisfying story, that could tell you more if it wanted to, but doesn’t. Each episode has it’s own silly theme, but behind the space shenanigans, something big is brewing, weighing on the minds of the characters and the audience. Not to mention that pretty much every episode it introduces a new side character, makes you care about them in some way, and then tragically takes them away from you. In 20 minutes or less! Holy shit what great writing.

They manage to convey so many different emotions and demonstrate the struggles of that life, which, being set only 50 or so years in the future, are often not at all dissimilar to life now.

The main characters see so much shit every mission they go on, but mostly they just shrug it off and argue amongst themselves about what they want for dinner.
The show makes you wonder what the crew of the Bebop must think about when they lie awake in bed at night, which is awesome. They’ve been a part of a lot of heavy stuff. The show says at the end, “You’re gonna carry that weight”. And I most certainly am.

I suppose I should stop rambling before I hit some kind of character limit. I’m such a disorganised writer and this probably made no sense, but fuck proofreading.

One more thing. THE MUSIC. (Did I already mention the music? If so I’ll mention it again.) It has the best music of anything I’ve ever watched. Every piece is so great and does it’s job perfectly to accompany it’s scene each and every episode. Not to mention the opening song. While I never actually watched the show until recently, I’ve been listening to “Tank” on repeat for years. The music ties in and carries over into the rest of the show’s overall aesthetic incredibly well.
If Nebula Jazz is even slightly thematically similar to CB, (it feels like it is), I’m gonna love it even more than I know I’m already gonna love it.

Assuming anyone replies to this, tell me all your feels about the show. Hell, tell me even if you didn’t like it. Also, which episode is your favourite? The fridge episode might be the best/worst one of them all. I can’t quite decide. Anyway,

See you, space cowboy…

1 Like

its considered a classic for a reason. one of those shows that sets up a style that becomes pretty iconic. btw super hope you have seen the movie too. Music is indeed spectacular. There is a 4-5 cd box set floating around that i have one of which is a live concert which is pretty spectacular.

as for fave ep. i’m also a fan of the refrigerator (which has a cameo in space dandy) i also love mushroom samba

1 Like

I didn’t actually know there was a movie until this morning! I gotta get on that shit asap.
It’s funny because I remembered watching a Youtube clip years ago of Spike fighting someone while wearing overalls, and I was waiting the whole series for it come up, and it never did. Turns out it was from the movie.